Aikido woman felt discriminated against

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Blade96, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I honor my Gods with my actions not by being a mindless drone.......

....and smashing things with hammers; Thor likes that

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Hey, quit stealing my lines! :mad: ;)

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I find this interesting.

What do you think the kamidana is?

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just looking at wiki I'd say bowing to the kamidana would be a complete no-no for a muslim.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Wow I read that whole article amid I'm just kinda thinking that everyone involved has some valid thinking and feelings in this situation. I admire the school owner for trying to make his school open to everyone.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Not an easy decision but setting a sexist president is a dangerous move all be it a small one

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think all of those jackanapes were sexist.

8. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

You could say that, but then I could call you a closed-minded fool as well. Touche? Let's keep this about morals and not resort to insecurity issues.

I'm not as extreme to stay away from physical contact with people of the opposite gender, but my belief is that anyone's private areas should be kept, well, private. My wife is in complete agreement as well, even before her and I met each other. Neither of us are very religious.

I still don't see the issue in that. There are always at least some people I don't get to train with in class. Every day I'm there, there's always a plethora of students for me to be able to train with.

While I'm not completely opposed to the idea of distributing religious literature in general, I think there's a time and place for it (though I feel stronger about becoming an example yourself). I would never do that at a dojo and, again, I think his methods were extremely unorthodox.

That was my wife's decision before mine.

Kave, if I wanted your advice on how I should run my marriage, I would've asked you. My wife and I have a fantastic relationship and understand each other quite well. What we both do is both our business. I've seen a lot of successful and failed marriages in both Westernized and Islamic mentalities. What I think is most concerning is how you're so caught up in your holier-than-thou attitude that you're unable to accept other people's differing morals. It's because of mentalities like yours that there's a decline in religious tolerance.

FYI, I've already repeated this in some of my above replies, but I want to make it clear that you yet again made a foolish assumption. It was my wife's decision before we had even met.

Jihad is recognized by both men and women in Islam as the most righteous path. There are 40 some odd types of jihad one can endure. Because of the difficulties women face that men don't (i.e., PMS, pregnancy), they have the luxury of being allowed to earn an easier way to Heaven than men. In Islam, Christianity and Judaism, women have been seen as household care takers whereas men have been considered the providers. Yeah, the modern world disagrees with this because now everything is about equal rights and so forth, but in the 3 main religions, equality doesn't always mean identicality. Men have to go to the mosque on Fridays whereas women are able to stay at home for their Friday prayers and earn the same "credit". The problem with many anti-Islamists is that there's only a focus on what women don't have that men do in comparison to the modern world's ideology of what women should be like. Sadly, most people ignore all the equalities that Islam does provide to women that isn't given to men. You're speaking like Muslim men always enforce their superiority over women. I really don't think you know many Muslims at all.

Ultimately, the goal in life for any religious Muslim is to live a life of piety in service of God. You can't compare the current state of the Muslim world to what Islam is about, just how you can't do the same for Christianity or Judaism. People are flawed. People divide themselves. People are greedy and will always find means to control the less fortunate (social darwinism).

It's a good argument and I can agree with both sides to an extent, but unfortunately, that's not the argument being had here. The majority of people only want to attack Islam for treating women poorly, when 99% of these people don't know a thing about Islam to begin with.

Any fool can google something, but if I were to ask the majority of the people here questions on the basics of Islam, none of them would know them without having to research them. It's their egos that are forcing them to reply instead of admitting they don't have the sufficient understanding to attempt to debunk Islamic texts.

Because I'm sure you're oh-so full of common sense any way.

I understand what the kamidana is, considering its Shinto roots. But as a Muslim, my intentions define my beliefs more than my actions.

9. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Any way, I'm gonna post some Islamic texts when I get back later to give examples of the rights of women in Islam vs that of men, and considering that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was an example for the rest of humanity after him to live a life like his, I'll give several examples of how he treated his wives and expected the Muslims after him to do the same.

Obviously, these Google search arguments that some of you are posing here are terrible and it won't lead to anything productive, so I'll do my due diligence later.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Meh, I don't see why it matters what the Qur'an says anyway. Whether people on an internet forum agree with how he interpreted it or not doesn't change the belief that he holds. The discussion of how you deal with that belief I think is a lot more important than whether that belief is strictly right by his holy book or not. If a Westboro guy walked into a class and refused to train with a gay student then I'd be dealing with him not wanting to train with a gay student and whether that's something I'd want to condone in my gym, not looking back over the bible to decide if he's interpreted the bible correctly.

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think it's problematic that you think you have a right to make that decision for your wife.

Wasn't one of his wives like 9 years old? It seems like that's not really an ideal age to wed.

12. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Exactly. Therefore, it's not a question of what Islam teaches, it should be an argument based on his incorrect and extreme interpretations.

I think it's an even bigger problem that you're assuming I did or would force anything on her. And for the record, no, I did not say I would forcefully decide for her.

No, she wasn't 9. That was proven to be historically inaccurate...

I'd be amazed if someone was able to make one legitimate claim. Not a single one so far. Second largest religion in the world with over a billion people and not a single person so far has made any correct statements about Islam. How is that not ignorant?

Any way, gotta run now, though I'd check again before leaving.

13. Dean Winchester

Thanks for the response.

What do you see the kamidana as though? I'd say it goes beyond just having Shinto roots.

I found it interesting that you said after you'd looked into you'd decided it was ok to go ahead an bow to it.

What about it makes you feel comfortable enough to bow to the kamidana?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  14. Dean Winchester

Not surprising when you think about all the contradictions you get from those of the faith.

Obviously as it's so open to interpretation you are going to get conflicting thoughts.

15. Moi

Now that's pot calling kettle. Can you provide one legitimate piece of evidence to support your claim that Allah does or has ever existed?

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

[​IMG]

That's not what Monica said about Clinton... :D

17. Moi

I know I'm blaming spell-check and an immortal Western Society

(See what I did there?:))

18. Moi

We used to be decadent? Are we now better or worse?

19. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Correct, in the three Abrahamic religions equality has not always meant Identicality, in fact Identicality has only recently begun to take hold. Much like Orwells slogan from Animal Farm "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others", Complementarianism has historically been used as an excuse to oppress women while claiming that they are valued equally (just differently).

When cultures and religions strictly enforce gender roles women tend to suffer. Without women in careers such as law, then their voices become under-represented in politics and in society as a whole. When you take the ideas that women are "different but equal" and "god wants women to be homemakers" you can end up with extremist viewpoints such as those held by the Taliban who believe that Allah wants women to be homemakers, therefore the education of women is going against god.

Every year the World Economic Forum publishes a list ranking countries in terms of gender equality. It takes into account factors such as gender disparities in health, literacy, labour force participation, and political empowerment. The bottom 30 by ranking are:

106: Nigeria
    107: Belize
    108: Albania
    109: United Arab Emirates
    110: Suriname
    111: Korea, Rep.
    112: Bahrain
    113: Zambia
    114: Guatemala
    115: Qatar
    116: Kuwait
    117: Fiji
    118: Ethiopia
    119: Jordan
    120: Turkey
    121: Nepal
    122: Oman
    123: Lebanon
    124: Algeria
    125: Egypt
    126: Benin
    127: Saudi Arabia
    128: Mali
    129: Morocco
    130: Iran, Islamic Rep.
    131: Côte d'Ivoire
    132: Mauritania
    133: Syria
    134: Chad
    135: Pakistan
    136: Yemen

Proportionately, Islamic countries are clearly overrepresented at the wrong end of this list. The link between Islam and negative outcomes for women is reasonably clear.

20. righty

righty Valued Member

I would encourage you to not waste your time doing that.

Anything you copy and paste about the positive aspects rights of women and men in islamic texts will easily be matched by negative quotes. Unless of course you can find a quote that says violence against women (or anyone) that is not in self defence is very very naughty.

The same can be said about the acts of Muhammed. Although he may have done some nice things in his life, he did some really nasty stuff by modern standards.