Aikido Vs Muay Thai

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheMightyMcClaw, May 27, 2007.

1. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Ok, ok, I realize that most things that begin with "Aikido vs" or end in "vs Muay Thai" tend to be really terrible. This video, on the other hand, is all right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cBg2tTCYL0&mode=related&search="]YouTube[/ame]

While the fight seems to be pretty playful in nature, it's not the type of pre-rehearsed demo that one usually finds with "Aikido vs. X" clips. I thought it was pretty fun to watch.
    Also, if anyone can speak Russian, it'd be interesting to know what they're saying.

2. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

I am 100% sure that that video is semi-choreographed, look at the complete lack of contact and commitment from both fighters, plus the Muay Thia guy regularly throws techniques and combos way out of range (elbow spinning elbow about 4 foot away from the aikido guy). I'm not sure what excatly the point of the video was, but it defiantly does show Muay Thai vs Aikido

3. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Quoted for truth

The aikido guy in general took a lot of punishment but heads down to him for trying. Really though the Muay Thai guy pulled a lot of his strikes

4. Crashed

Crashed New Member

This is not a rehearsed fight, but the rules were not to hurt each other, so they had to pull their strikes, the slow motion black and white parts show where the fight could've ended. The first guy, Anton Evdokimov, has a second dan in aikibudo and kendo, the second guy, Ivan Grigoryev, has the title of world champion in kickboxing and is champion of MT in Belarus.

Well if anyone need more info, i can translate stuff since i know russian.

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Could you please translate the video please?

That would be nice.

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R797LamA3Vw&NR=1]Aikido vs Karate[/ame]

The Aikido guy has one arm. :rolleyes:

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So what's your point Hapuka? People with one arm shouldn't practice Aikido? Martial arts? Or maybe get involved in competition?

Going back to the original post I'd say the video was pretty pointless and disappointing. If it was a genuine fight I'd have expected both parties to show a bit more spirit.

8. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'm saying that the Aikido guy was great!

He had a clear disadvantage to the karate guy. I used that emote as a "sigh" That guy would beat me any day. Thats all.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't think he won. The referee awarded the match to the karate guy.

10. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

The Thai-Aiki one was OK as far as it went, I thought. I thought the assessment of the possible fight-enders was reasonable, though the lack groundwork (even aiki groundwork) was a little unconvincing - he could have controlled the situation the Thai guy on the ground a little better just to show where he could have got the choke, the mount or whatever.

I was impressed that the aiki guy, just following the principles of aiki presumably wasn't afraid to let his reflexes take him into a double leg at one (two?) points, which is something that isn't nomally trained in aiki but is completely in line with the principles. His double leg did of course suck, even at semi-contact level, and would have got him sprawled and messed up by a ground grappler.

The aiki guy needs to work on his kicks even in an aiki context: his kicks (and strikes) seemed to be based on keeping his opponent away, or point-sparring style soft tagging rather than getting the Thai guy on the defensive, a set-up for wrapping the guy up and/or kuzushi.

The Thai guy was way more disappointing. He looked like he wasn't taking it at all seriously, or rather, he was experimenting with BS because he didn't no what to do in light 'sparring'... his range was completely wrong a lot of the time and he wasn't working kicks or knees or clinches as much as he should have. There was no sense of danger to the whole thing and it was mainly the Thai guy's attitude I think. (I'd be interested in a translation as to what he thought about it going in to the session - I'd also be interested in precisely what kind of world champion he is... didn't seem a particularly good Thai stylist to me).

In all, it didn't and couldn't prove anything in that light format, and unless we get more aikibudo people going into full contact that'll always be the way, but it was a useful and interesting little exercise I think.

11. Mr Punch

Is that really what you wanted to say!? :D

12. Mr Punch

The one-armed aiki guy against the karate guy didn't do too badly, but what on earth were the rules in that?

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the aikibudo vs mt shows both fighters pulling punches and concentrating on techniques. the aikibudo guy actually throws a couple of good elbows and kicks ( something i have not seen in the aikido dojos that i have visited).

14. Crashed

Crashed New Member

Ok here goes,

(Beginning of clip, announcer)
    I'd like to remind you, that in our previous releases we promised to set up a fight between two totally different schools of hand-to-hand combat. We trust, that after seeing these examples, our viewer will be able to answer the questions, previously addressed to us: Which type of martial art is more universal, more viable, which indicates it being more effective. Previously we had detailed reports on schools of Aiki-budo and Thai boxing, and now two best representatives of these schools will face each other in a sparring session, let us watch: *pew pew music intro, with cool inverted fighters doing their stuff*

(0.39 Narrator)
    The fighter from the school of Aiki-budo, Anton Evdokimov, whom you are seeing now, uses his last minutes before the fight to warm up.

(0.53 Fighter bio #1)
    Anton Evdokimov: 2nd dan Aiki-budo, 2nd dan Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu school fencing, trainer Miroslav Sidrecov. In this fight he's representing the Moscow Aiki-budo federation, motto: Think first, then do.

(1.09 Narrator)
    Representative of Thai boxing school Ivan Grigoryev is warming up and together with his trainer is working on his striking and evading.

(1.19 Fighter bio #2)
    Ivan Grigoriev: Thai boxing in Belarus, kickboxing world champion. Trainer - older brother Artiom Grigoryev. In this fight he represents sports club "Kanon", motto: Get in to a fight first, and then we'll see.

(1.34 Narrator)
    The principles of Aiki-budo are softness and flexibility, the techniques are mainly stand-up grappling, throws (not sure)

(1.45 Narrator)
    The techniques of Thai boxing are simple, rough and offensive. The only condition we gave the fighters - not to injure each other, therefore Ivan will have to restrain himself.

(2.01 Aiki guy's thoughts)
    If Aiki-budo was a weak school, it would have died out, like most of other weak shcools, only the strong ones remain.

(2.09 Thai guy's thoughts)
    The way I'm assured is that this Aiki-budo doesn't meet my requirements, I absolutely don't like it. I'll just get along with it and see what happens.

(2.29 commentator)
    The fight has begun, Anton tries to execute a throw but Ivan grabs him and throws him on the floor, then he tries to finish him off with a kick, but Anton performs applies his technique and that's where the fight could've ended.

(2.45 commentator)
    The fighter are once again on their feet, Ivan executes a strike to the head, which could have knocked his opponent out, but Anton blocks it in time.

(2.56 commentator)
    Ivan tries to go clinch range, but his opponent performs a wrist-lock throw, the fight could have ended here.

(3.06 commentator)
    The fight continues...

(3.14 commentator)
    34th second of the fight...

(3.21 commentator)
    Ivan throws a kick to the hip, Anton catches it and goes down to the ground. Ivan protects himself by striking with the elbow, but he is already off-balance, so his strikes lose their power.

(3.34 commentator)
    Grappling again...

(3.45 commentator)
    That is a classical combination done by masters of Thai boxing: a series of elbow strikes, followed by a kick to the supporting leg, but Anton holds the distance pretty well.

(4.03 commentator)
    Thai boxer executes powerful knee-strikes, if he wasn't restraining himself it would be really hard for Anton, but Anton manages to grab on and tackles Ivan to the ground.

(4.17 commentator)
    The fighters are at their limits, also Ivan tries to execute knock out elbow strikes to the head, but Anton is on his guard. In a real encounter both of our fighters could've ended the fight multiple times, after all, a real fight only lasts a couple of seconds and it's enough to land only one of these punches or throws to win.

(4.42 announcer)
    And so you saw the fight. Who won, and who's school is better? That's for you to decide. Maybe to some of you it wasn't fancy enough, maybe it lacked the live show effect, but we went for it purposely, we had no intent to make a show of it nor we wanted a no-holds-barred fight. We wanted to show all the nuances of the fight truthfully, everything in the fight was fair and truthful, this I can guarantee. If you have any advice how to improve our upcoming sparring sessions, please write us. Also we'd like to know which school has earned your sympathy....

This is almost a word to word translation, so some stuff might sound weird to you...

You're welcome :)

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  15. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

That is such BS, it was clearly a semi-staged fight with the only real goal being to promote both schools.