Aikido - moving to the light side

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Xanth, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I'm a new student to Aikido. I'm very excited to be training under Sensei Arlene Mendibles, who is a 3rd Dan and trained under both Vince Salvatore, 6th Dan and Morihei Saito, 9th Dan Aikikai. (http://www.hendersonaikido.com ). I have a background in Korean martial arts with 1st Dan in Kuk Sool Won. Throwing, joint locking, pinning and flowing through a technique are all KSW skills I'm anxious to use again in Aikido. The language barrier is daunting for me so far, I'm so used to Korean terms and phrases! I like how Aikido is organized when it comes to techniques and naming conventions as compared to Kuk Sool Won’s. We had techniques that were similar or the same in different sets but the type of attack or grab was different. They were named after the attack ( Eue Bok Soo, Ahn Sohn Mok Soo, etc) and not the technique in response to it as apparently it is in Aikido. From what I’ve seen so far… when you see Ikkyo in the name, you know what kind of technique is going to be done. It's a minor point, but it's sure strange to be wearing a white GI instead of a black Dobok. The dirt shows up so easy ! :cry:

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

KUDOS! Glad to see you are enjoying it with a open mind

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

congrats! best of luck in your training. i made a similar transition: hapkido -> aikido.

now is wife and kid at the same dojo?

4. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Almost forgot, I've enrolled my 4 and 5 year old daughters as well! They love it so far, and I hope it hold their interest for a lifetime.

5. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Nice one!

Let us know how you get on as you progress

6. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

You are a VERY lucky man if you have Vince as your Sensei, fantastic reputation left behind in Iwama by this man. Wish I was there at the same time as him.