Aikido in a "Real Fight"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by xplasma, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Its odd why it should take so long

Also there are times when grabbing a person is less preferable than punching them.

If you are of smaller frame than a bigger guy he might overpower you.

Aikido is not a clinching art.

2. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

I went to one Aikido class, it was all too formal for me, but they were training fairly full on, big throws and very heavy on the wrists, they were quite a mean bunch,

Some kid kicked a football onto the matt, so rather than simply closing the door, one very senior student forcibly hurled the ball back at the kids head, these were small children.

Not what you'd expect from the Way of Divine Harmony. I did not go back.

But their techniques looked effective.

3. Sonshu

Interesting

Still no need to be so ruff on the kids!

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Totally uncalled for!

I wouldn't send my kid to this school. I don't think I would go there myself even!

Absolutely true!

5. Vrax

Vrax New Member

Sonshu,
    i do not advocate merely stepping outside by itself. i suggest stepping outside/forward with a "cutting" parry, leading into the neck takedown.

the jab CANNOT turn into an elbow heading back your way as your arms are already covering that line, still present from the parry.

i'm also not a fan of "what if" type forum discussions, but i have seen and felt this technique (giving and receiving) work too many times to discount its effectiveness.

6. Sonshu

I agree

And expect it to be done like this - just merely pointing out that was not explained in the original.

:Angel:

7. mig29

mig29 New Member

Aikido is the basis of the most techniques in many military self-defense techniques. So I guess it can be quite useful in real fights. I saw some videos of this "Krav Maga" and I doesn´t look so effective. It must be because it lacks tradition...
    If you want something straight you should try Muay Thai. :D

8. mykel

mykel New Member

Aikido is great knowing it with something else is better

9. deCadena

deCadena New Member

there are different styles of aikido as well. i think yoshinkan style is noted of their hard style. among other aikido system it has puches as well.

am thinking of getting into aikido. :)

10. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

hate to spoil the dissing party but...

I was the unfortunate recipient of an attempted mugging last night and used my aikijitsu knowledge to judicious effect. I am fine. They are not.

I have a vague recollection of getting hit on the back of the head and after break falling forward to gain some distance from my attacker I turned and utilised irimi-nage on the first (and I can only presume initial) attacker. After feeling something snap I placed him delicately as I could on the ground and using the footwork which has been so praised by Sonshu on these forums I avoided several more attacks before using ikkyo to subdue the second person and use him as a shield between me and the third. Whilst I kicked this person in the leg and head I was informing the third that it would be silly for him to continue his attacks on me (not quite in those words as I think my language was a tad more colourful.)

Much to my relief he and the first person ran off as fast as they could and then I gave my shield a final kick in the shin before i let him go as well.

This is not the way I would have liked to have to prove that Aiki techniques are a potent arsenal in a real fight but sometimes circumstances force you to show your hand. Aiki techniques worked for me and all I have to show for my altercation is a bump on the back of my head. Until a martial art can teach me 'spider-sense' I reckon I'll have to just live with it.

I suppose the next argument will be about aikido against an 'aggressive full-contact knockdown' martial art. All I can say to that is why are they fighting and secondly that if the aikidoka has trained with persons of these skill set (the same as any style versus style) then he will have a greater chance of being successfull.

What a real fight concerning style versus style in a life or death situation ultimately comes down to is who delivers their devastating technique (be it throw, kick, punch, wrench,lock etc) first. A Thai boxer can swing a kick at a ju-jitsu boy and be evaded amd then find themselves with ruptured knee ligaments from a counter-technique. We all have merits in our styles and never forget that these skills were developed because the work in real life. It is the practioner, and not the style, that make them effective. Best to remember that.

11. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Glad your ok!

I think Sc0tsg1t's experience pretty much gives the answer.

12. deCadena

deCadena New Member

some aikido systems do include strikes this is done so that the hand of the uke will weaken and thus the practitioner will be able to better maneuver his technique.

aikijutsu definitely has strikes, so does yoshinkan aikido. not certain on other systems though

13. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

I think Sc0tsg1t's experience pretty much gives the answer.[/B]

Had a bit of a think about it and there's very little you can do when hit from behind, but Sc0tsg1t's experience led him into a forward roll from the hit, giving space and a little time - thankfully!

If anything (apart from the excellent footwork drills;) ), the roll and breakfall are the best things I've learnt as a defensive technique in Aikido due to the space and time it does give you. This normally wouldn't happen if sprawled on the floor, possibly with an injured wrist as a persons first instinct is to put their arm out to break the fall...

I think any martial artist owes themselves the time spent in learning to fall and roll.

...if anything it's good fun and if you get it wrong there's always the pretty and flashy stars to keep you company. :D

14. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

Now I've calmed down and thought about things

I think the main thing that helped me was what timmeh! has highlighted a couple of times. It was my instinctive breakfall that really saved me as it bought me space and time. It probably also caused my assailants to pause for a bit giving me some more time.

What I found really hard to deal with though was the aftermath...you know, the adrenaline rush, the thoughts in my head of what could have happened.

Falling over really is fun, and sometimes can be a lifesaver.

15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

glad you are OK, sounds like the thugs are in more pain than you are today.

and yeah I agree, case closed on the question of Aikido in a street fight!

16. JAMJTX

JAMJTX Valued Member

Aikido can be very effective in self defense. How effective it is depends on you - assuming you had a good teacher.
    Take a look at the Japanese Police - Yoshinkan Aikido is widely taught in police departments. Why? Because it is powerfully effective.
    As for NHB - they are not really NHB! The fact is that basic Aikido techniaques are banned in these. A friend of mine, from a dojo where we trained in Jujitsu and Aikido went on a short tour of some Gracie schools - by thier invitatation. He was brown belt in Jujitsu and Aikido. What worked best against them were the Aikido basics - Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo. But the Gracie guys kept telling him those were against the rules.
    In the same class, a teacher who was also a Police officer once said that if anyone ever wants to tell you that Aikido "does not work" should come out on the street with him and see the look on a suspects face after feeling these techniques.
    Aikido is Police proven!

17. deCadena

deCadena New Member

i think every art is pretty effective given the proper attention to real life situations. a lot of people have the concept that such and such can't be used on the streets and they are right with the way a lot of mcdojos is teaching.

i remember my friend saying that there is a dojo in NY that invites practitioners of other arts to have that feel as to how their aikido technique would fair. can people here validate this? am not sure.

just some thoughts. :)

18. Sonshu

I think the Aikido techniques work

If they are set up with more a Jujitsu attitude. Everytime I trained I wanted to take hold of the person and then to know I had control of them.

It is just my way of doing things as I always felt exposed when doing them in the Aikido way.

19. Sonshu

Also wrist locks

Are not illegal in NHB as far as I am aware.

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Re: I think the Aikido techniques work

Sometimes I feel exposed, but I usually find out later its because I'm doing something, shall we say, wrong. Aikido entries can be done in a way that takes the attacker's balance. Then for that moment in time you do have control of the attacker.

But I'm a fan of jujitsu too.