Aikido in a "Real Fight"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by xplasma, Jun 17, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yeah - here we flame each other anyway, in spite of knowing what we're talking about :D

*Cue Kenny Everett Voice

"It's all done in the best Paaaasible taste"

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Now theres a mental image I didn't need!!! ;)

3. Spike

Spike New Member

ROFL!

Ew, that`s not nice

4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Don't think anyone

on this forum gets too upset from what is said so POST AWAY guys!

I never get bothered!

SONSHU

5. med

med New Member

your mum

6. med

med New Member

just testing

you guys have said pretty much everything i think.. the decision is ultimately up to you dude. i do think you should check out the origins a bit more cos im fairly sure that ninjutsu, although it has similar locks and stuff, is from an entirely different social background. im reasonably sure there were samurai' and there were ninja'. im equally certain you couldnt be both. aikido is derived from samurai arts. which is why we use the katana and not the gatana. (or ninja to)
    also i believe some ninjutsu involves team techniques. aikido is designed so that one man can take on many.

7. Sonshu

Med

For the mum gag you are spot on!!!

As for the Ninjitsu one - they were more on the line of single person as you would rarely rely on others as most of the time you are on your tod.

Also the Taijitsu stuff came from the Samurai as well - most of it crosses over and is the same. One of the reasons for this is the Aikido style would not work too well if laid up with bulky Samurai type armor.

They all came from the same roots and developed over time.

SONSHU

8. med

med New Member

groovy.. thanks. i only heard of a couple of clubs and rare occasions that the multiple tori situation happened.. just thought it was worth mentionin.
    i think some of the locks are actually based on armour however.. like ikkajo nikkajo sankajo, maybe not yonkajo but i dont know. and possibly gokkajo, although many schools dont practice that any more. developed around the way the wrist joints of armour fold and lock. but this could all be crap. i heard it somewhere.. i think there is some truth in it though cos i remember one guy who mentioned it in passing was a 9th dan and knew his history. i however haven't researched that much. only about two centuries worth.

with regards to 'your mum'. i think we are all on the same wavelength. 'arguing on the internet is a bit like running the special olympics.... even if you win you're still a fool'..

9. Sonshu

Nice

I dont really argue - just some get heated - from my point of view there are some lovely points in Aikido and I really did enjoy many parts of it - just never really felt to me that I had control over anyone.

Armor training is best from my experience in Taijitsu as there is a school of training dedicated to it. It has some useful modern points to it as well for the military as if you have an injured comrad and need to fight or move still whilst carrying him.

Also in general with any heavy load. Still its uses are very specific and there is IMO not a massive amout of time needed to be spent on it - still you never need a technique until you need it - of course by the time you wish you had learnt that one its too late!

Sods lore

SONSHU
    :Alien:

10. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

i would never try this art in the steets to me it is sof and only for the dojo!

11. slart

slart New Member

I have trained in aikido for 4 years in addition to a few other arts, such as wing chun, judo and tae kwon do.

Recently I started training with some guys who don't mind what style you know, just as long as it works. Every now and then I throw an aikido technique in to see if it will work. At first it didnt work well at all. What I have found is that the aikido I was taught in class is too structured to pull off. I had to learn to go with the flow and look for opportunities to apply what I know. Often this means hitting them first before doing the aikido technique and if they wrestle with you need to switch to something else or just smack them again ...

I am slowly starting to get better at it and now it is starting to get to the stage that some of the guys are saying "why is that everytime I train with you I end up on the ground and I have no idea how I got there" ... :)

Now I just need to learn to do it without hitting them. But I think that is going to taker much much longer

12. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

That is right sometimes the classed teach structured moves which just dont work

13. Aikiman

Aikiman New Member

the summer????

Yuo gonna train the whole summer to learn aikido WAOW i have trained since -95 and i'll start to get a hang of it now...............

It takes atleast three years to just learn to sit down on a stone...........................

Sorry for my english, i'm from Sweden.:D

14. Jazman

Jazman New Member

"i would never try this art in the steets to me it is sof and only for the dojo!"

I have never performed any Aikido although I greatly admire it(I'm hoping to begin at a school soon), not only as an effective form of "fighting" but as an art. I wonder if Sambo Masters thoughts as qouted above were spoken a tad presumptuously as his words also implied he had not ever tried it. I believe any martial art performed well and with discipline and patience will perform well in most situations(of course none will be completely effective if the opponent has a gun.) Yes, even "sport" martial arts. Will not a well a well placed side kick down nearly all opponents? or perhaps a spinning crescent kick to the head? performed with the utmost grace and skill of course. Will not fluid movements meant to topple an opponent simply by changing of their center of gravity or by joint manipulation work just as well? Of course a knowledge of adrenaline and other factors in streetfights also come into play. This is where patience and taking the time to learn the art form become neccessary. So that when comes the time to defend yourself every reflex will be automatic and performed without flaw. If anything can be learned effectively within 1 summer or even one year of life then perhaps it is to easy or perhaps you are not realizing subtle complexities? As a great man once said...
    "everything should be as simple as possible, but not more so." -- Albert Einstein

15. Sonshu

To sitdown on a stone - 3 years?

Why not use a chair?

16. Sonshu

Slart

Good post as I had exactly the same problems when I came to use it - adapting it to a more realistic method but putting the strikes in it almost goes back to its Jujitsu/Judo (with strikes) roots.

Hence I found everything easier to use.

17. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

I have only had to use Aikido once in the street, and I was the one who walked away unharmed. It becomes kinda instinctive when someone attacks you so quick. But I use a lot of Aikido movments when I start doing Judo, it's quite surprising for the uke.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  18. JiGGa

JiGGa New Member

A good friend of mine is black belt aikido.
    I fought him a couple of times this week and he could barly beat me I even let him kiss the dust a few times.
    Damn, i'm only yellow belt jiu-jitsu.
    Any black belt jiu-jitsu beats me like i'm some 2 year old kid.
    This is just my experience guys but if you get a black belt arent you surposed to be actualy good?
    Witch I do like about aikido is that you get trained mentaly my friend is mentaly very strong witch i'm not :(

19. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

How do you spar with your black belt aikido friend?

Do you spar in a kick-boxing manner followed by throws? If so, are you commiting to your attacks or being defensive and letting him attack you? The latter method would of course go against the grain of the counter-attacking aikidoka.

I can't answer ability-wise for your friend but the black belt aikido that I know are very accomplished in what they do and if your sole training history is as a yellow belt level in jujitsu then they would have you for breakfast. No offence intended.

20. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

When I came to a conclusion about this

Aikido is a good art, if you attacker has no fighting expirence. On Wednesday, the 3rd Dan I train under was showing us "Street Aikido." My initial reaction was "GREAT!" However, it was again crap. He was "showing" how to do aikido techniques off a jab. Afterwords, I was working with my parnter and I was like "jabs are too fast, you can't do technique off it." He response what "jab at me" and watch. So I did, and no surpise he couldn't do a move becuase jabs are too fast. He response was "you don't punch like your suppose too" and then took a brown belt and he threw the most wussy wanna be punch I ever seen. He goes "jab like that." My response "thats not a jab, thats a slap or your want to degrade a slap to that." His response "I don't care what you learn in your hard style, punch like that"

My response
    I was doing 2 Aikido 2 BJJ a week at the same place. I switch to 1 AIkido 3 BJJ a week. And I plan to lose Aikido after August.