Aikido FAQ For Noobs - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, Apr 1, 2004.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It's your choice.

2. I think what I'm trying to say is ....

How would Aikido look against an untrained opponent - i.e. attacker in a real life scenario as opposed to a trained Uke?

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Attacker falls down.

To quote 7th dan Hiroshi Ikeda (Aikido Schools of Ueshiba), "There is only one technique in aikido: uke falls down."

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

So someone trained mainly if not exclusively in Aikido got in a real world fight... I would say that the first "instinctive" motion built from a foundation in Aikido is to enter (irimi) and palm strike through the head of the opponent.

Aikidoka don't get taught to grab, instead they would cut (use the knife edge of the hand and edge of the forearm) through the arms and shoulders of the opponent.

Other than that, it wouldn't look any different than any other fight really. The fight scenes from the newest James Bond movie come to mind.

5. Daius

Daius Valued Member

in theory it would look the same, but the landing would be a bit messier...

but this is one of them what if this and this happened... if it was a reall fight, chances are it would all look horrible

6. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Right so i've been wondering, this seems to be a pretty popular question but i've read the whole thread and can't see it..

What kind of person would you recomend aikido to? For example: Someone looking for fitness? Self defence? weapons training? Or whatever, just what do you think are the best parts of aikido that give to people?

And if that doesn't make a lot of sense i'll rephrase again. The majority of people would agree that Tae Kwon Do is good for fitness and high, some what flashy kicks, but not the best out there for self defence. Whereas krav maga say is great for self defence but not really something [from what i know] for the people out there for fitness improvement.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If you have a decent teacher at your disposal I'd recommend Aikido to anybody.

8. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

What happens if someone throws a sharp jab that is very quick, or a Thai roundhouse?

What if a person tackles the Aikido-ka?

Does Aikido teach defense for these instances?

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

One of the most effective elements in aikido is irrimi entering in. A jab is too quick to be trapped as are most punches. Slip the jab attack the face drawing up his free hand in defence and strike the solar plexus. This is one of numerous responces. (one I have photos of) :)
    Mobility is another powerfull principle it is not so easy to clinch or take down someine who has mobility and striking power. Contrary to what many may think aikido has both of these. Personaly I come from judo and have cross trained in numerous arts so I answer what I would do. Of course it also depends on the relative skills and experience of the individual Hope this has been of help.

regards koyo

check out martial arts of aikido threads

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  10. Moridin2

Moridin2 Valued Member

Aikidoka don't get taught to grab? Hahaha. Sure, and boxers don't learn to punch.

11. koyo

NEVER attempt to throw or pin someone who has not been struck off balance first.
    Never grab hold of someone who has not been STRUCK off balance first.

BASIC AIKIDO PRINCIPLES.

Rebel speaks of the instant of musubi (contact) and this shall be a strike or a cut to unbalance the attacker. We would never train in grasping someone and then struggling to unbalance them.

Below the attacking hand has been CUT aside his free hand has been STRUCK into a position where I can NOW take hold. We would never consider trying to grasp any attacking limb without first STRIKING or CUTTING it to a weak point.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  12. Moridin2

Moridin2 Valued Member

If he meant that, he should have said that. Because what he said, plainly without further info like you explained, so very clearly...sounds a bit silly.

13. koyo

I have exchanged views with Rebel many times I am certain THAT :) was what he meant.

regards koyo

14. Moridin2

Moridin2 Valued Member

No worries. You explain very well by the way. Do you teach maybe?

15. koyo

Forty plus years uninterupted training. Instructor makotokai aikido riai dojo Royal Marine Commando Barracks Glasgow Scotland.

makotokai.co.uk

regards koyo

Attached Files:

16. Moridin2

Moridin2 Valued Member

Ah, i did have a feeling you had something educational. :) Thanks for your clear explanations. I look forward to more.

Greetings.

17. thehat

thehat New Member

Hello

The thread does say "Ask questions here", so here goes.

While I am enjoying Kendo, I would like to take up Aikido, but not to the detrement of either.
    I am intending to wait untill I reach at least shodan in Kendo, before looking for an Aikido club.

Is this long enough? If I start Aikido sooner, will I encounter more problems?

Thanks

18. koyo

It depends, if your aikido is weapons based (Iwama ryu)there is a difference in kamae kendo being more square on than the triangular posture used in aikido.

My friend gerry Kincaid fifth dan kendo attended my aikido group and remained training until dan grade.I learned a great deal about "aikido" from him since so many of the principles are identical.

I think aikido is the perfect unarmed art to complement yout kendo and would suggest that you ask your kendo instructor. Personally I would get a solid foundation in kendo (dan grade) and then look around. An aikido style based on weapons would be your best bet.

regards koyo

19. thehat

thehat New Member

Koyo, Many thanks.

The class I attend is run by one of Mr Kincaids Pupils, in Hamilton (I used to atttend Taiseidokai, until life got in the way). I would be there now, but for a conflict in scheduling, which I can hopefully overcome soon.

This might not be the correct media, but would it be ok to attend your classes, as yours is the website that most connected with me?
    "Aikido Complete"

Again, thanks for the advice.

20. koyo

You would be most welcome map and times on website. We had a cross training session with Gerry Your instructor most probably would have attended.

regards koyo

Gerry and I

Attached Files: