Aikido FAQ For Noobs - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, Apr 1, 2004.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Is there a question in there, Clem?

2. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

heh, yea, im kinda wondering if it looks as simple as that. it seems ridiculous that a student would attack like that, so what im asking is if thats one of the ways they would practice and if it actually looks that easy

3. KevinK37

KevinK37 Valued Member

It's not simple, it's just that high ranking instructors just make it look that way. What you are describing sounds like randori with a high level person. It's hard to tell why someone would just flip by watching, but generally there is a large amount of torque being put on the arm, and if they didn't "flip" or relieve the tension fast enough they would break their arm or dislocate something....in my newbie opinion... :D

4. SmilingBear

SmilingBear Valued Member

Originally Posted by clemsontkd
    Another thing to recall is that demo techniques (if it was on TV that's what it was) don't always look like techniques applied for practical purposes. I've also found that even if you don't mean to, the memory of previous pain may cause UKE to throw themselves. What I mean is, I've resisited my sensei (and training partners before) and I know what it leads to, so why take more abuse than necessary during a demo.

--Bear

5. LJF_IF

LJF_IF New Member

What different sects are there of Aikido?
    I take Nihon Goshin, but I'm pretty sure there were other variations.

6. aikiMac

There are dozens. Off the top of my head: Aikido Schools of Ueshiba, Ki Society, Shodokan/Tomiki, Iwama style, Aiki Kai/Federation style, American Aikido Association, California Aikido Association, Classical aikido, ... and I know there are many more.

7. dark_blade15

dark_blade15 New Member

i have a question. i saw an aikido video where aikido students attacked a aikido master and the master throws them to the mat. i noticed the way the students closed up on him with their arms spread like if they wanted to hug the master or grab both his wrist. why is that?

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There are three attacks I can think of that best fit what you're describing. The first is what we call Tenth form (Ryotori - Hold shoulders from front). It basically involves a push or grab to either the chest or shoulders with both hands by uke. It's a fairly common attack to expect in a fight. Especially as it move from verbal to physical.

The second is what we call Eleventh form (Ushiro Tekubitori - Hold wrists from behind). This involves uke attacking from the front or behind. Whichever attack uke chooses the objective is to restrain nage by the wrists from behind. The only reason I've ever been given for this attack being taught is to teach students how to deal with being restraigned.

The third is Fifteenth form (Ushirotori - Hold both arms around body). This again invloves uke attacking from either the front or back. The objective for uke is to restrain nage with a hold akin to a bear hug. This is again taught for the sake of teaching nage how to deal with being restraigned.

Without actually seeing the attack it's difficult to be sure though. Perhaps you could show us a link or at least tell us what style it was.

9. dark_blade15

dark_blade15 New Member

arent there any attacks in aikido where like 4 ppl charge at you throwing kicks and punchs and combinations of all the attacks u told me about?

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Where I train we do have a 4 dan grade attack for 1st dan, 5 for 2nd dan and 8 for 3rd dan. The ukes attack one at a time but in rapid succession from any direction and they are allowed to attack in any way they please. If I'm honest though most ukes stick to standard Aikido attacks and almost never try to kick. Nage on the other hand is only allowed to defend with throws and projects. Any atemi nage makes must not connect.

11. furn

furn Valued Member

Here some noobish question from me, i was planning to take aikido in a month so...

1) What aikido look like exactly, i mean, people that talk me of aikido tell that aikido is much more a self-defend class than a martial art. Even if i ignore the difference between martial art and self-defence, what could make aikido different from a martial art if is real?

2)Do aikido got some ''Kick'' movement?

3) Is there grade in aikido?

4)Is there a special kimono we must have, or the classir karate outfit is ok?

Thank a lot for helping :)

12. aikiMac

Aikido is a martial art.
    I don't know what you mean by "martial art" versus "self-defense."

Yes. Read the other Aikido FAQ thread.

Some people wear a karate gi, and some people wear a judo gi, and some people wear an "aikido gi" purchased from a company specializing in aikido gear.

13. scorpiousmac

scorpiousmac Valued Member

Agreed.Once you get down to some training you will understand that resistance is futile.Unlike other martial arts you are encouraged to do your part to help nage perform the technique as this actually improves both of you and your partners understanding of the art.Try resisting against a high level Aikidoka and intense pain is yours for the taking :D

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Try resisting against a decent Aikidoka and you find your self on your ass faceing the other way with no clue how you got there. ;)

15. Darkclownxx

Darkclownxx Valued Member

hey this may sound stupid but bare with me! :p
    does Aikido have different styles of it such as Karate with Wado Ryu,Goju Ryu, ****o Ryu etc.?

thanks

16. aikiMac

Hey, this may sound absolutely crazy, but there's a thread called "Aikido FAQ -- Read answers here" and in that thread there's a section that goes like this:

And so the answer to your question is ...

17. Darkclownxx

that doesnt really tell you the names of the styles though :confused:

18. aikiMac

Post #106 above has a few of them.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  20. Darkclownxx

thank you very much :D! :love: