Aikido FAQ For Noobs - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Leksikon

Leksikon New Member

Reccomended reading that has helped you understand the art of Aikido in your practice?
    There's a ton of literature out there... since this is a FAQ for Noobs (like me ;)) it seems a logical place to suggest sources of information or inspiration about the art that have helped you in the past and continue to.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

First on the list has to be Ratti and Westbrook's "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere."

After that it's probably a matter of personal taste and interest. A favorite for me is John Stevens' "Secrets of Aikido." Stevens is very, very good at explaining Eastern concepts in Western terms.

3. aikiMac

Adding on to this:
    It's also a tool for teaching you how to move the "aikido" way. By taking away your feet, you are forced to move from the hips. Proper aikido is done from the hips.

4. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Question : after being uke for heaven and earth ;
    why can i never figure out which way is up, which way am i facing, or how got to other side of tatami. Usually i'm okay, but heaven and earth seems to disorientate me everytime. This does pass doesn't it, cus at the moment i get laughed at for my look of bewilderment everytime.

5. aikiMac

You're not landing on your head, are you?

6. OBCT

OBCT New Member

No, i just really never did got over how far i travel, it only feels like i've moved about,say half a metre, and i end up being about 5 metres away.
    only with that one throw aswell, usually i'm fine but that one. I really don't like it, the weird part is if i go over my left side i'm okay, its just the right.

7. Leksikon

Leksikon New Member

Any history of vertigo in the past, or in your family? If you're only having problems going over on one side, could it be an inner ear problem? I'm no doctor and a noob, it's just a guess. Couldn't hurt to check it out though.

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I guess the disoreintation could be from a physical ailment. Does this happen with everybody that perfroms this technique with you? Or is it just with certain students or the teacher?

There are only two people in my class who have disorientated me in that way. The teacher and one of our 5th dans. My teachers technique is extreamly light (like a ghost) and the 5th dan is well on the road to acheiving the same.

9. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Don't think its medical, but i did have an ear infection a while back. I'm worried now, i might even ask my Dr. next time i see him.
    It does'nt happen when i breakfall or roll that way with any other movement though, but i do usually pretty much stay with the same partner (we have got to know each others needs, ie speed etc. pretty well) [how freudien.LOL] I might try with a different partner next time and see. Its no biggy, just narking me a bit.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ok I've revived this thread because I still think a FAQ for noobs is a good idea. Feel free to contribute any questions you want answered and of course any answers to the questons. The right answers preferably.

11. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Re: KNEELING TECNIQUES: I recall being told that the suwari-waza techniques were imensely helpful as, in a social setting when all were seated, swords (katana and wakazashi) were not worn so unarmed defence was paramount. For example, in order to enter a tea master's house, the entrance was tiny in order to ensure nobody could enter wearing a sword.

This 'unarmed' definition should not be overdone as a principle, however, as many wore a tanto (dagger) and were extremely skilled in the use of it in repelling attacks, especially the women of that time.

If you really want to find out about suwari technique it helps to study Iaido for a while, as many of these sword techniques have a similar origin to the 'unarmed' equivalents.

12. |2yan

|2yan Valued Member

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but I have a question. Say you are up against a dude who is a 8th degree black belt in karate and you're at the equivalent skill level. Since Aikido doesn't address kicks so much, would this make aikido an inferior art compared to others? i'm thinking of picking up aikido but i don't know.

13. aikiMac

That's a fairy tale question. 8th degree black belts don't fight. They run organizations, run schools, and hold seminars.

Aikido does address kicks.
    Martial arts don't fight. People fight. The question "who would win, karate or aikido?" has no answer because karate and aikido aren't things that fight. The person who is better that day will win. But if they fought on a different day, maybe the other guy would win!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  14. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

I've got £50 on the Karate guy.

15. |2yan

|2yan Valued Member

sorry. excuse my dumb questions. i have seen steven seagal and he is like a 7th dan in aikido. So basically, Aikido is a very dangerous art, it can be very lethal right?

16. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

I'd put 50 pounds on the karate guy too, preferably concrete - that should slow him down!
    Interesting question, though - why not 'would the karate guy know defences against locks and throws?'
    What if one was female?
    Seriously, though, at this level, as both have a high level of Japanese martial art skills, they are likely to know something about each other's art - and more than enough to avoid fighting in the first place.

Best solution - go and try some aikido and decide if it is a good match for your karate. Mr Seagal throws a lot of stuff from different arts into his film fight sequences so you can't really judge aikido from it. I think his style organisation is 'aikikai', so maybe start looking for an aikikai dojo near you.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  17. |2yan

|2yan Valued Member

i posted this in the beginners section, but if i have a small build, would that in any way hamper me learning aikido effectively? i'm about 5'4 and 140 lbs.

18. aikiMac

Don't double post.

You're taller than the founder of aikido, so I think the answer is "no."

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Short people actually tend to have an easier time in Aikido than tall people. You're center of gravity is naturally lower and thus naturally more stable. Your height is actually an advantage.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  20. aikiMac

Speaking as someone 6'2, I agree. Relative shortness rules in aikido.