Aikido divinity

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Edgeorge, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Edgeorge

Edgeorge Valued Member

The Founder O-Sensei has said countless times that Aikido is the divine path of love that enables one to become one with the universe:

"[...] At that moment I was enlightened: the source of Budo is God's love — the spirit of loving protection for all beings... Budo is not the felling of an opponent by force; nor is it a tool to lead the world to destruction with arms. True Budo is to accept the spirit of the universe, keep the peace of the world, correctly produce, protect and cultivate all beings in nature."

And more.
    My question is, how can spiritual enlightenment and a proper state of mind be perceived by something like grappling an opponent and throwing him/her?

Note: I do understand that such matters may not be discussed and understood in an Internet page. But can anyone at least tell me if they have understood how one can be enlightened by martial arts, but cannot simply explain?

Thanks

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Again you've charged in without taking the time to study the culture or the man who is putting this forth. I think you really need to learn to read between the lines and start to accept that some things put out there will abstractions and conceptual in nature.

How does a monk reach enlightenment by sweeping courtyards. Yet this could be standard task for novice monks at Zen monasteries for the first several years. DT Suzuki the zen master covers this theme in some of his writings - which can be very fascinating... the chore... sweeping... or for that matter a throw or a movement... is or can be a proxy for a deeper thinking or opening yourself up to an environment of conducive to a new way of thinking eg. enlightenment. This is a common theme amongst many different schools of Buddhism.

Again... unless you start yourself to go through a similar process.. eg. the chore of study that opens you up to a new way of looking or a new way of perceiving things... I don't think you're ever going to be satisfied with any answer in regards to O Sensei teachings no matter who puts it forth.

You haven't trained one day in Aikido (or perhaps any MA) yet you're digging for 'a truth'... a concrete answer about a very subjective and abstract subject. It's a losing proposition before you even started.

My best advice to you on this is let it go. You're not ready to understand what he's on about because you haven't done your homework. Again.. I'll spell it out for you... learn about the culture and time in which he comes from. You will begin to understand about the man and the process of transformation that happened in his culture in his lifetime. A massive change... something you really have to weigh when you discuss the course and development of Aikido. To do any less is cheating yourself out of a full understanding.

Seriously... start to train and get your head around that and the other stuff falls into place. But you have to do your homework.

(on note I just realized below the pic might not be of a zen monk at all but a Shinto monk... though hard to say as I suspect there is plenty of crossover in Japan. I'm wondering if the shide... the zig zag folded paper hanging at the entrance... is common in Zen monasteries as well)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  3. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

[/QUOTE]
    I do understand that such matters may not be discussed and understood in an Internet page. But can anyone at least tell me if they have understood how one can be enlightened by martial arts, but cannot simply explain?Thanks[/QUOTE]

well the only time that martial arts did something whit the enlightened
    was when the lights went out for me.:fight2:K.O

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If that's what enlightened means to you then who is anyone to argue that. If that's the level of enlightenment that you're able to perceive then that's right where you're at and it is what is.

:hat:

5. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

that is absolute correctly:baby:

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

EVERYBODY "knows" that peace is better than war but when you REALISE it..it is a knd of enlightenment.

When you train long enought to realise (make real) the principles ..this is a kind of enlightenment.

No big mysteries.

There is a great danger in approaching aikido with a received (from books or elswhere) philosophy..it shall almose certainly make the art ineffective.

7. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

Now no jokes. lets look from a scientific point of view

enlightenment Mystery from the east. But it seems that way. The state of enlightenment is just a natural phenomenon, because for everyone. It is experienced as a pleasant and relaxed feeling. That light is absolutely nothing mysterious or supernatural. It seems mysterious because it is not clear what it actually is. The explanation of oriental people is far from clear. This is because of their different culture and therefore be interpreted things differently. Are unknown and incomprehensible explanations for western people is a mysterious thing has become. But this is certainly not!

Enlightenment is nothing but spiritually lighter feel. Lighting is really just so relaxing. Nothing more, nothing less. But the big problem is that true relaxation is not easy to reach. People often think it to be, but is rarely the case.

Relaxation is often not possible problems and hectic life. True relaxation can only be reached by the absence of disturbance. Are not the latter, one is naturally relaxed. Sounds easy, but it is not. Most people have too much tension. Usually there are problems that constantly haunted by the upper chamber. Therefore, not only physically but also mentally tense because mind and body are interconnected. Relaxation and lighting (is actually the same) is eliminated.

A problem will only disappear from the mind when it dissolved. Sometimes he can temporarily disappear, or other problems are pushed away, but if he is not solved, he stays there. This is the reason that most people think nonstop. They are all present problems that would be (please note a look at). Meditating does one attempts to account aunt memorial to stop. Unfortunately this rarely succeeds in this way.

The "higher realms" of light can only be achieved by the present problems.

Once problems disappear man gets more and more moments of thoughtlessness. What we then experience is called enlightenment in the east. But in fact it is simply the natural relaxation and therefore one experiences the world very differently. It is essential for everyone.

Konstant thinking can refer to more tension. This is not a vision but a fact. I speak from personal experience.

Meditation aims to achieve the state of enlightenment. Unfortunately for those who meditate, meditation leads to enlightenment rarely. Meditation has really only makes sense for those who are close to this level. And there are very few.