Aggraphobia (dunno about the spellig :-)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by rridgeback, Jun 8, 2002.

1. rridgeback

rridgeback New Member

Hey there friends,

anyone know about a treatment or cure for agrophobia......my mother in law is a victim therefore i am a victim...lol... anyone any ideas?

Richard.

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Take her to somewhere really high ... an "accidental" bump and ... no more agrophobia ;-p

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

BTW ... in case you missed it ... I was joking :)

Mike

3. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hi rridgeback,

Welcome to the Martial Arts Planet Forums. Interesting first post and Mike is helpful as always! (Hahaha).

Hope your mother-in-law sees the light at the end of the tunnel one day. Good luck in JKD training when you start by the way.

Your profile mentions your into motorbikes - me too! :D

Let us know how you get on in class and please post with any questions or queries, we have a lot of very knowledgable people on the forum.

Melanie

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

You know what, though ... I was kind of tired and was *thinking* of "acrophobia" (fear of heights) ... which, in turn, made my comment much more humorous (and a little more twisted).

"agoraphobia" (which is, I assume, what rridgeback actually meant) is a whole different issue.

This is the fear of open spaces or of crowded, public places ... right, rridgeback?

In this case, I suppose you could take her to the Alaskan tundra or downtown Hong Kong and leave her there ;-)

On a more serious note, though, I'm no psychologist (far, far from it, in fact). But I think the only real way to get someone over a phobia is to get them to confront it and overcome it.

Possibly a slow progression. Take her somewhere like the middle of a mall which is a somewhat open space but not too bad. Take her there relatively early before the crowds start getting bad and be reassuring and patient with her. As the day progresses, the crowds will gradually get worse and worse. Try to get her engaged in something that prevents her from really noticing. Try to keep her calm and comfortable.

If she can get through it once then that (I would think) would help.

As I say, though, I'm not a psychologist and the above is pure conjecture on my part.

My *real* suggestion would be to get in touch with a psychologist and ask for advice. Failing that, get in touch with a psychiatrist and get some really good drugs (OK ... I'm back to being facetious ... I can't help it ... it's my natural bent).

Good luck.

Mike

5. rridgeback

rridgeback New Member

Hi Mike, Hi Melanie. Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice.....Mike, I think your first suggestion might be the way to go :)

Melanie, what kind of bikes are you into? Have you got one?

Richard.

6. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I simply adore bikes over 600cc basically. I had a couple of bikes nothing special and then had a major bike accident. Much happier being pillion these days now :D

What bike you got and have you ever been to the TT races? I would love to go but something just keeps cropping up to my annoyance!

7. rridgeback

rridgeback New Member

I hope you're all recovered from your accident now. You cant let these things put you off though. I've had a couple of offs myself, one pretty bad but still love the buzz. It's my escape from reality...when i'm out on it i think of absoulely nothing else...bliss. I've got a Yam YZF1000 Thunderace.
    I've never been to the TT but maybe some day. A few of my mates go but like you something usually crops up.

Richard

8. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Cool! Motorcycle thread-jack!

I ride an old Yamaha XJ900 - I love it! There's nothing else like riding a bike. I went to the TT once years ago - Mad Sunday scared the crap out of me! ;)

9. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy New Member

You know what I thought when I first read that post.... you spelled "spelling" wrong ;) (unless you have a cold...)

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'd love a motorbike, I think they're immense. My cousin let me ride his Yamaha when I was a kid, I've wanted one ever since. I can't drive a car yet though, so I don't fancy my chances of passing CBT :(

Maybe one day...

11. khafra

khafra New Member

I'd have a motorcycle if it weren't for the way people drive cars here, and that lingering fear of slick spots in the middle of turns. So I compromise by riding a bicycle and a car I'm gradually modifying to accellerate like a 1200cc cycle.

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'd have a motorbike if it wasn't for motorists......

The closest I get it Moto GP 2 on the XBOX, its great fun when you get used to the whole leaning over bit!

ps its also better than real bikes if your agrophobic! ;)