African Martial Arts - or maybe American

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by embra, Jun 6, 2015.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

Does anyone know these folks?

It is not at all bad in my perception. Not sure about 'African' MA coming out of the US, but it is not impossible - there are Capoierists Brazilain folk who havve found very similar MA in Angola, Namibia - so it could be completely valid.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL8pWlt9qUA"]Basic Drills - The World Of African Martial Arts - Part 1: Ahati Kilindi Iyi - YouTube[/ame]

2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I briefly visited his academy in Detroit nearly 20 years ago (just watched--did not train). I don't know the provenance of the art as far as its Africanness is concerned (I don't know of any historians working on the history of that art the way that there are for capoeira). It seemed okay to me at the time if a little flashy (and this from a capoeirista!), but I was very young then and didn't know very much about MA.

3. embra

embra Valued Member

He has some elements of TaiJiQuan and FMA in there, and stays pretty fluid and relaxed; with a lot of decent basics i.e. some evasion, striking, defending, follow-ups, upper and lower body movement, trips. There are quite some number of videos on youtube.

Very difficult to assess where he got it from - my guess is western and asian MA, and some research into whatever artefacts exist regarding historical and contemporary African MA.

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

That'd be my guess, too.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

This might sound funny but I took some African m.a about twenty years ago, it involved a lot of kicking and boxing type strikes, they were fond of the spear hand if I remember correctly. Developed some strong legs and hips that year.

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Why do you think it might sound funny? :confused:

7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Just something most people don't imagine I've done.