Advice sought on bag and sparring gloves

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Sandy, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi,

I'm a recent convert from martial arts to boxing and looking for some advice.

Bag gloves: As my punching power has improved, my bag gloves seem inadequate. What are the best/most protective bag gloves available?

Sparring: For regular sparring, what gloves would you suggest? Quality more important than price.

All advice gratefully received!

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Do you use hand-wraps under your gloves and have you been shown how to put them on correctly?
    Boxing is a martial art.:cool:

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Assuming you're hitting the heavy bag, or pretty much anything vaguely solid with some force, I think you need wraps as well as gloves.

As Moi says get someone to show you how to put them on or look for the excellent thread here on MAP by slipthejab which has several videos on how to do it.

I like the elasticated ones myself, and at least 3m long.

As a result, you need bigger bag gloves than you might think; don't try on a pair and think, "They'll be fine", because once you've got your wraps on you'll need the next size. And be aware that sizes vary. My Everlast in large fit beautifully over my wraps. Even my young teen students need at least a large in Black Eagle to get over their wraps. Mind you, their wraps seem bulkier than mine...

Mitch

4. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

5. Moi

6. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

How many Oz. for general sparring?

Hi again,

How many Oz. do you normally use for general sparring in boxing?

Also, do you know how these Thai brands compare against European brands like Lonsdale, Everlast, Adidas or top Mexican brands like Cleto Reyes? (Though Cleto Reyes is probably outside my price range!)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  7. Moi

Depends on your weight really. Thai gloves are very well made but I believe they are slightly different to boxing gloves.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  8. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Everlast boxing gloves in europe were made under license by a large german sportswear company and are mass produced in china, they quality is not as good as the american version.

However i believe mike ashley of JJB sports and newcastle football club, now owns the rights so expect the quality to be even worse.

The top end Adidas pro gloves at ok, but no better than any of the Thai Brands for £20 more money. The budget end are for boxerices classes and wont last more than 2 months if you acually hit anything hard.

Londsdale used to be good gear when it was Title boxing then they got the rights to produce lonsdale gear, they dropped the brand Title and dropped the quality along with it

Cleto Reyes is way more expensive than you need unless your a pro boxer. The fight gloves are made from horse hair padding and are good for fights and not training as all the horse hair moves around and they are no better than budget gloves. I dont know about the training range of gear though.

Thai brands are good quality and good value for the following reasons.

Thailand has something like 20,000 professional boxers training full time, 5-6 hours a day, 6 days a week. It isnt a rich country, and professional thai boxers are not rich until they hit the top echelons. Therfore gear needs to last and it needs to be cheap. All thai gear is made mostly by hand in Bangkok for their own domestic market. In the last few years the explosion in combat sports in europe and the usa mainly through mma and thai boxing had really upped the demand for thai gear for these reasons. This tends to be thai brand led, as if your into mma you need shin guards and thai pads as well as quality gloves. No one maked shin guards and thai pads like the thais do as they have been making them for 40 years. Twins the biggest brand has suffered sometimes from quality issues as they have tried to keep u with production and demand. Brands like windy havd remainded small family businesses who just limit their supply the quality remains and it is harder toget hold off.

Spin off brands like King, are just part of wide thai family that owns most of the main brands and fall out with one another and they set up new brands. Mostly its all good kit, especially for the price, due to heritage, and pool of labour making this stuff for 40 years or so.

If your serious about training then get two pairs of gloves, depending on your weight 16 oz for sparring, use just for sparring, and 12 or 14 oz for bag and pad work, if you do that your gloves will last u ages. Two pairs of sandee gloves like that will be cheaper than one pair of cleto reyes and will last you over two years.

hope that helps

9. Moi

I bought some expensive Top Ten gloves once and they didn't last long as the lining developed a hole. Holes get annoying. Great gloves though, very squishy??

10. Moi

Windy make the sweetest bag gloves:cool:

I like Fairtex but you really are going to pay a top price. More so now they are big in MMA.

11. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Thanks Adsy/all. That's very helpful.

It looks like I'll go for one of the Thai brands you recommended. I see that Fairtex do a 'heavy hitter' training and bag gloves, so perhaps one of these training gloves will do for bag work, etc:

www.mmaoverload.com/fairtex.html

I'm not exactly a small guy, with a fairly heavy punch. I don't know how much these cost in the UK (but hopefully cheaper than this web site).

I presume Grant would fall in the same category as Cleto R. i.e. way too expensive?

Cheers

12. Moi

16 or 18oz gloves for you then. Don't use them on a bag just get some decent wraps to protect your wrists and some cheap bag gloves.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  13. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

14. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Affliction heavyweight, and M1 Global Team UK fighter Rob "The Bear" Broughton is not exactly a small boy either,

[​IMG]

15. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Anyone know good MA/boxing stores in either Sussex or central London?

Now all I need to do is find a decent shop to buy 'em. Folks at my club seem to have bought online, but I need to try on for size (especially with wraps on).

Cheers

16. Moi

No way!

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

easiest way if you're willing to wait a day or so is to email a site your hand measurements (hand length and width, open and in a fist just to be safe) and ask them what size'd suit.

18. Moi

Or find one that's happy for a return. It's going to be at least large.

19. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

We have cut open every brand of Thai glove to see whats in them and how they are made, so i am confident in this statement :), Fairtex are overpriced for what you get trust me :)

20. Moi

I like the shape of the Fairtex and they used to do some good, unusual designs. Most of my family use Twins due to the designs:bang: