Advice re: Supermarket security guard incident

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CosmicFish, Dec 11, 2009.

1. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Hopefully some of the more legal-savvy can give me some advice here. (I'm in England.) I just got a call from my ex. She was out Xmas shopping. She'd been to Saisburys and picked up some items, amongst then a HotWheels toy car as a Xmas present for our son. She was in Tescos when one of the security guards accused her of stealing it.

From what she's told me, he took her into a back room - without calling the police - searched her bags, ignored her showing him the receipt proving that she'd bought it from Sainburys, confiscated her phone when she tried to call Sainsburys to prove her innocence. At this point the store manager came in and told him he had to give the phone back, the store manager then left the room. She then told him she had to phone someone to arranage to have her son picked up from school as she wouldn't be able to do so herself. He refused to allow her to do this.

Later on, she finally managed to persuade him to call Sainsburys. He did so and told her that the lady at Sainsburys said that they don't stock the item he was accusing her of stealing. She's since been to Sainsburys and spoken to the same lady, who has assured her that she told him that they do stock the item and had even quoted him the reference that appears on her receipt.

She currently has one letter from the lady at Sainsburys, stating that they do sell the item and how it is listed on receipts ("Assorted cars") and one letter from the security guard at Tescos banning her from all Tescos for life - signed only by himself. Tescos still have the toy car they confiscated from her.

Obviously there's plenty of things wrong here. Basically what I'm asking the legal-minded is what would be her best way to proceed? She (and I) want to get this scumbag sacked at the very least. She has no problem with Tescos stores themselves. She's going to see a solicitor tomorrow, so this won't be in lieu of proper legal advice.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

its gotta be coming close to theft and unlawful imprisonment. Personally if that had happened to me, I'd have called the police as soon as he let me go and had him arrested there and then. Either that or I would have smacked him, depending on my mood at the time.

4. CDKungFu

CDKungFu Valued Member

The security guard is in a whole world of trouble...
    There's so many rules broken there I wouldn't know where to begin!

What city was this in?

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Lol this is very similiar to a practice quesiton I had last year :p
    False imprisonment blatant one, Possible action against the security guard's company (or store if he's emplyed directly) since he clearly wasn't trained properly, and I think there's a civil claim against the manager over the phone call

EDIT: Oh yeah and theft with the car

6. CosmicFish

We were thinking both Theft and False Imprisonment already. Does anyone know what the definition of False Imprisonment is? My Google-Fu is weak today. CDKungFu - this was in Greater London.

Southpaw - what's this about a possible claim over the phone call - could you clarify?

She doesn't want to press any charges against Tescos, just the individual security guard.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You're asking Map? See a solicitor. Wait! It's your Ex? Not your problem!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. Topher

Topher allo!

What about speaking with the company who employed the security guard? Maybe they might sack him after hearing about his conduct without the need for any legal kerfuffle.

9. CosmicFish

Dude!

Also, despite being an ex, she's also my son's mother and one of my best friends!

10. Moi

Face it you've got years of calling her a thief. Did she dump you or the other way round?

11. Moi

Didn't know that. Have you thought of marrying her?

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Take him down properly, none of this back channel nonsense that leaves him free to get a security job with another firm, you want to get his license terminated.

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Yep, take it up with a solicitor and take this guy down. As a security guard he has no right to imprison a customer, to search their bags if they refuse a search, to confiscate a phone, to take property, etc. In short, he has violated a number of your ex's civil liberties and has stolen from her to boot. I very much doubt he has any right to speak on behalf of tescos to ban her from all stores, so she can undoubtedly ignore that one, but everything else needs to come back to bite him in the ass to show him that he is NOT allowed to just do whatever he feels like.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

She's already going to a solicitor so she'll get the best advice there. On this side tell her to call the non-emergency number for the police (0800 123 1212), make a full report on the phone and they'll get back to her in a day or 2. (they know where the guy works and his details so its not like he's going to do a runner over this).

She doesnt really need to be present when they go over there to nick him, but she will be called in to point the finger and confirm, interviews etc etc. From there on its down to the solicitors/lawyers to argue cases.

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Sounds like the manager was also partly to blame in this. He came in, obviously realised the guard wasn't dealing with the situation well because he ordered him to give her phone back to her, and then left. The store in ultimately his responsibility.

16. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Your all missing the big one, but as agents of the retailer they are entitled to prevent the retailer's property from leaving the premises, so this means the person they believe to have taken it.

From what I understand security guards do not have the legal power to search bags etc, thats why they call the police. (unless you cave and go, ok search me then)

They can't ask you to prove it (ie show recipt) because that comes down to them and the employment firm being sued for false accusation!!

Security guards are not the police.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

18. Moi

Now just for a laugh you and your friends should visit the store and walk around putting stuff in your pockets and passing the item between yourselves. Making sure to put everything back before you leave. It's what passed for fun when I was a kid.

19. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

and now you just "Graze" !!!!

Graze = walking around store eating products and then when full walking out !!!

Smurf

20. Moi

I'm a good boy I am:mad: