Advice on Silat schools in the Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, MI area.

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Swalesey, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Swalesey

Swalesey New Member

A friend of mine has taken interest in Silat and would like to try it out. Now usualy I would say "sure come speak to Paul, and he'll let you watch one night see what you think :)" But the problem is he lives in America and I live in sunny Yorkshire.

Any advice on where he may find a school in that area would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

There's nothing in that area that I'm aware of. Now there is a group up in Grand Rapids led by a gent who used to post here on MAP. Here's a link to his web site http://tracelesswarrior.blogspot.com/. Your friend lives in a lovely area but it's not exactly rich in martial arts variety.

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I'm from Kalamazoo, and while I don't know of any Silat schools thereabouts, I will take this moment to pimp out The Southside Dojo in Portage. Judo is their main focus, but they offer everything from Aikido to Muay Thai.
    I also knew a guy who did FMA/JKD in Kalamazoo, which might be similar to Silat. I'll see if I can't get his instructor's information.
    I can also direct him to a badass who trains karate out of his garage in Parchment, if he's interested.

4. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Mushtaq (The Traceless Warrior) teaches Silat out of Chuck Pippin's school in Grand Rapids. He's worth the trip, well worth it.

5. Swalesey

Swalesey New Member

I passed on the information you have given me to my friend. He says thanks a lot and he will do a little research :).

6. Takedown 2

Takedown 2 New Member

King Tiger Martial Arts School just open a few weeks ago in Hazel Park, MI. Hazel Park is in Suburban Detroit and it's about 2 hours away from Kalamazoo. Our primary art is Pukulan Cimande Pusaka as taught by Pendekar William Sanders. Guru Besar Jerry Jacobs also teaches some Pekiti Tirsia and Dekiti Tirsia. Check us out at www.cimande.net and feel free to contact us if you have any questions at all!

7. Wingchunman

Wingchunman New Member

Go to suwandaacademy.com or you can get info from insantoacademy.com, and also where I train. Attributivemartialarts.com these are all, web sites with silat information about, the closest school. You can also try, cimande.com and get ripped off by Jerry Jacobs at King Tiger.

8. Wingchunman

Wingchunman New Member

There's no silat school in Hazel Park. It's been closed up and Jerry Jacobs, went back to Port Huron. He tried to force his students, to pay an extra hundred dollars for seminars, regargless, if the student wanted to come or just could'nt due to prior obligations. He took off, with alot of money from students and breaking contracts, that the students had signed. That's is highly illegal and **** poor business skills. Also, he's a very closed minded person that only sees one thing. I wouldn't have my dog enrolled at King Tiger. He's a disgrace to such a beautiful animal.

9. silatliam

silatliam Valued Member

Wow thats really bad, but I have heard the same story from different students who were caught up in that situation. It makes me sad as I used to belong to the PCP association, Its completly wrong for any teacher to take money from students, and not give the lessons.

10. Saiful Azraq

Saiful Azraq Valued Member

Silat Kuntau Tekpi

Salam hormat,

I don't know how far you are from Detroit, but there is a Silat Kuntau Tekpi class under cikgu muda Jeff Davidson. I don't know if it's still active, though. You can reach him through his blog at http://balisongplayer.blogspot.com

Salam persilatan,