Advice on my workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Topher, May 21, 2007.

1. Topher

Topher allo!

Critique my workout.

So... I joined the gym last year and was going 1-2 times a week for a good few months (Oct-Dec) Then pretty much stopped going (i went about 3 times in 3 months! :eek: ). I then started going again in the beginning of April about 3 times a week. I haven’t been in the last two weeks due to my uni deadline last week. Now that’s over with I'm looking at stepping it up over the summer, 3-4 times a week.

Here's what I've been doing (which was what the instructor started me on):

Cardio
    Treadmill: 15 mins @ Speed 8
    X-Trainer: 15 mins @ Level 7

Weights
    Chest Press: 3sets x 10reps @ 50kg
    Fly Dumbells: 3x10 @ 5kg
    Seat Row: 3x10 @ 35.5
    Cat Pull/Pulldown: 3x10 @ 52
    Leg Press: 3x10 @ 55

Current weight is around 79kg
    Height is approx 5’8” / 173cm

My goal is weight loss and muscle building (esp. abs, chest and arms). So is there anything I should add or change?

I know I need to work on my diet too... I virtually live off Diet Coke, eat crisps too much and have too much fast food. :Angel: :woo:

Cheers

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Your diet will pretty much determine your results.

Now...I'd ask your trainer why he doesn't have you squatting, deadlifting, pull ups, etc

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Where are your situps? ;)

Anyhoo, you need more cardio me thinks. Get a lot more running/jogging into your program and also cut the crappy food mate. A healthy diet is so important in weight loss mate...it's pretty obvious ;) I'm not saying eat leaves only but just cut excess sugers, fats and eat your carbs and protein rich food at the right times to make it count.

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Blessed Samurai

I only had sessions with the trainer when I started training. There around all the time should I need them.

Shadow_of_Evil

I do plently of situps in my Wing Chun training (usually 3x100) every class. I think i'm gonna start doing them at home too.

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Ah righto. Bare in mind that some people say that doing situps more than 3 or 4 times a week becomes a waste and dosn't end up doing much good.
    I don't know how true this is, just passing on infomation. Are you doing leg raises...you know, with ye **** on the groun and lifting your legs up to work out your lower abs?

7. Topher

Topher allo!

Okay what was so funny? :confused: :p

Usually we do something along the lines of:

60-100 press ups
    100 situps
    60-100 press ups
    100 situps
    60-100 press ups
    100 situps
    60-100 press ups
    100 leg raises
    60-100 press ups
    obliques
    burpees

8. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Personally, I would say this workout from your trainer is a basic preparation for training routine. Certainly if someone came to me and asked 'what do i start with' I would give them a basic 3x10 routine to get the muscles used to it. Reduces the shock slightly from jumping strait into max effort squats, deads etc.

However, having done that I would move to something slightly more 'advanced'.

Ie. (Swappingthe exercises every 2 weeks, changing rep scehem every 4)

Squats/Deadlifts 5*5/3*8/4*6
    Chins/Bent over Rows 5*5/3*8/4*6 In the ase of chins 3 sets to fatigue
    Chest Press/Chest Flyes or Cable Crossovers 5*5/3*8/4*6
    Shoulder Press/Front Raise? 5*5/3*8/4*6

This of course is just a suggestion. There are various ways you could do this. What are your aims (soz if you have already said).

And yes, diet.

9. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

agree with the others on squats, deads and chins... not so much on the sit ups.

unless there is a lower back exercise in the mix i dont recommend sit ups, it would throw off the balance between the two and you'll end up with postural problems IMO.

10. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

400 situps a night! You are just begging and pleading for lower back problems.

That looks like a really silly program for your trainer to start you on, shame on him for not being able to think of anything more useful.

You need to get squatting, deadlifting, benching, rowing, dipping, chinning, overhead pressing, and fast. You need to become technically proficient with all of those exercises, and then I'd start throwing in unilateral leg and arm work, variations of your major lifts (front squats, overhead squats, snatch grip deads, close grip chins, close grip bench, etc.) along with some prehab work to offset the imbalances I'm sure you're accruing through a billion situps every night and your previous programs and lifestyle in general.

Not only will you put on mass and gain strength, but it will increase your coordination, your endurance, your speed, and just about any other desirable quality you could... desire :)

11. Shadow_of_Evil

That looks like a really silly program for your trainer to start you on, shame on him for not being able to think of anything more useful.

Remember that any freakin idiot can become a personal trainer...that's the problem. Most of them don't know what the hell they're doing.

12. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Looking at that again... I agree that it is a bit stupid. It's just kinda lacking basis... looked that a basic prep for lifting workout but yeh...

Gah. Break out the Deads