Advice on beginner boxer training gloves

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shawnohernandez, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

+1 for 16oz gloves. Anything less is unfair on your sparring partners.

Also, I reckon you can’t go wrong with any of the Thai-made brands (Fairtex, Twins Special, Sandee): a lot more quality for a little more money.

Has anyone tried Boon, Top King or Yokkao? I’d be interested how they compare.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I think @Unreal Combat has a set of Yokkaos.

My Fairtex ones are great. But they are really dense. So my 10oz look like 8oz. My hands just bounce off the bags/pads.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I like ringside boring gloves. They have a really nice feel to them.

4. Monkey_Magic

That’s why I like Fairtex! The gloves seem nice and compact, instead of giant pillow-sized things. However, I agree that Fairtex do feel quite dense. I wonder how other Thai brands compare. Maybe I should ask Santa for Ringside next time :)

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I feel to unworthy and dumb.
    I just went into a sports store, got me some gloves around 15Euro and started training.
    They, of course, don't own a big name and aren't leather but pleather, but they get the job done.

I can still get expensive ones, when I get the feeling I might need or at least profit from them, but so far mine are doing just fine.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Grab what works for you. One of my longest lasting gloves were an off brand called Thai-ger. (Tiger, geddit?)

Literally lasted nearly 8 years and at about 2 sessions a week.

7. Monkey_Magic

There’s no need to spend any money on gloves. That’s what Christmas and birthdays are for ;)

Mushroom likes this.
  8. Kicksider

Kicksider New Member

I have tried Twins, King, Yokkao and Sandee. Sandees are by far the worst of them. Poor padding. Yokkao fit and feel great for guys with bigger hands, but their padding wears down quickly. King is okay imho, but depends on the model. Twins are by far the best of the pack. Great leather. Good padding. The cuff is a bit too short for my taste and wrist support lacks a bit, but overall worth their money. I haven't tried Fairtex, yet. I still prefer my TopTen gloves in comparison to the Thai brands, but Twins would be an alternative.

Monkey_Magic likes this.