advice on ankle/knee supports

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by inbuninbu, Apr 24, 2007.

1. inbuninbu

inbuninbu "Train hard, fight easy"

Hi guys. Just a quickie, I need your advice on a little matter:

I need to get some heavy-duty ankle and knee supports but I am clueless where to look. On the one hand I don't want cheap & nasty, on the other hand £30 a go is a little to expensive for a student budget (especially since I need four supports all told)!

Basically I've been training savate (French kick boxing) for which you can wear shoes, but have just added in another kick boxing class that takes place in a dojo matted room, hence no more shoes. It also involves lots of bouncing & jumping.

The problem is I used to pratice TKD barefoot and it gave me numerous health probs in my knees and ankles so I want to be super-wary and cautious this time. All that impact on barefeet is terrible for my legs and I'm just not willing to run the risk of injury like i did last time.

I want to support my 'weak' areas from the beginning so as to avoid injury at all possible, as I don't want to have to take another enforced two year training break!

So does anyone know a reliable website I can consult for advice & info, or one where I can buy the supports themselves? I don't want something flimsy that'll dissolve in the wash, I want QUALITY! I keep reading the word 'neoprene,' is that a good material to go for? Are there any particularly good brands I should be looking for?

If I knew a doctor or sports therapist or anything I'd ask them, but since I don't, you lot are the very next best thing. Thanks for your help. :p