advertisments in newspapers

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by FightingMonk2k3, Sep 26, 2008.

1. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

I've seen advertisements lately for Tai Chi to be taught to students. Does anyone know if these articles that are in the newspaper, worth the time to call the person to see if they are legitmate teachers? How do I know if these teachers are, I guess, certified to teach that specific branch or teaching of Tai Chi? Any help would be greatful :)

2. old palden

old palden Valued Member

There is no official sanctioning body in the West for Tai Chi instructor certification (And this is essentially true for all other martial arts disciplines).

Being the subject of a newspaper article has no more bearing on teaching qualifications than purchasing an advertisement.

The entire marketplace is an ongoing demonstration of caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

If you are interested, my advice is to go and have a look...any good school will offer a free 'taster' class.

I know of well advertised TaiJiQuan schools that teach (imo) rubbish.

Good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for.:)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Hey Carys, do you know of any good Tai chi instructors in North Wales? My wife has always had an interest in it but she is not prepared to travel to either Mancheter or Liverpool for a decent instructor.

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hi, I am in the South so don't know any off the top of my head. I will have an ask/look around. :)

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Thanx

7. Puzzled Dragon

Puzzled Dragon Valued Member

Oh certainly it is worth your time to make a phone call. The other question is, is it worth your time to spend ten years to find out what the answer means to you...

You seem to be interested in legitimated teachers? Why? You can make a certificate yourself, or buy one, or not get one at all whilst being one of the few diciples in the line of a very famous family tradition. Or get one from a modern Chinese Sports University.

Um, what and whom does your local newspaper advertise, may I ask? And what is it you maybe want to learn and why?

Whatever your answer will be, and it is most welcome, my answer can only be in accord with Carys. Try and find out for yourself how you take to what is offered.

Kind regards,

Puzzled Dragon

8. Tabby Lavalamp

Tabby Lavalamp Valued Member

One thing I did before deciding on my tai chi school was search the instructors online, find out what kind of history they've had (if it's available) and their affiliation with any associations (not always the most reliable, I know, as any group of people can come together and call themselves an association, but I figured one with international affiliations is likely to be more legit). Throw in the open house they held, and it made for a much more comfortable decision.

9. FightingMonk2k3

the local newspapers don't give out any information other than the phone number of who to call. they don't even give a name of who to contact.

as for the legitimate teacher question, throughout my experience in the martial arts, i've always have gone to a school that the teachers there have been given the "okay" to teach. unfortunately, i have, on the flip side, have seen some pretty bad instructors that were given the "okay".

10. FightingMonk2k3

BTW guys: thanks for the help

11. Puzzled Dragon

Puzzled Dragon Valued Member

@Fightingmonk
    Dial the number. Ask your questions (politely). Try out. Let us know what your experience was. :)

(I don't like the smileys here these days, what are they supposed to express... ? I mean to express a simple, friendly smile...)

Might have something to do with who permitted them, and who permitted THEM, and by whom were THEY were permitted to teach and so on. Better go and see how you take to the taught. May fit you, may not fit you. So is my experience, anyway.

See my point, we'll have to like doing it in order to keep practicing it.

Kind regards,

Puzzled Dragon