Admitting to gaps in your knowledge

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Van Zandt, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Adding grappling to my curriculum makes sense, but it's not very practical. I can't train in grappling to any reasonable level of intensity or regularity because of my hip replacements. Inviting a qualified grappling instructor to teach is an option, but not very pragmatic because I don't operate out of a regular venue (I typically teach on a one-to-one basis in clients' homes or gyms where they do their general fitness work). Sending students who seek additional grappling training to other instructors has been mutually beneficial, because they still train with me and so I get to pick up neat bits of information they learned in their jiu-jitsu classes. Plus, the Gracie guys have returned the favour and sent some of their own students my way, either those seeking stand-up training as they transition to MMA or for sports rehab treatments. I think close-minded thinking like that demonstrated by the karate instructor I referred to in my original post stems from a scarcity mentality. The image below provides a nice comparison between scarcity and abundance mentalities.
    Untitled-1_0.jpg

axelb, Mitlov and Pretty In Pink like this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

that relationship works well and it's good to see more of it. I believe it has been encouraged more so with MMA popularity.

the 2 MMA gyms I trained at had the same relationships with nearby schools, having MMA as their school and present select other schools for particular skills (wrestling, muay Thai, bjj, judo).

I like that this mentality is becoming more the norm in schools than it used to be, we're all helping each other to progress.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Mmm wrong thread...cough cough

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

oops, that was odd I'm sure I posted in the other :oops:

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

my teacher was always happy to direct me to learn from people and clubs outside what he taught. Sometimes because he wanted to make the most of his time in his lessons in sharing his particular knowledge of kung fu. Sometimes because he was getting older and no longer actively trained full contact. he said best to train live skills from someone who actually does it.

I do the same with my students - due to a problem with a neck injury and chronic pain I have not trained full contact for over a decade. I tell my students what I can teach them and what I cant. I have identified some good clubs in my area that I tell them to attend. then its up to them.

In my day job as a support tutor in university i find it essential to be able to say . "I do not know the answer to that question."

It is a universal truth that a person cannot know everything and cannot be highly skilled at everything they do know.

In the kung fu I do have a small class and fairly low retention rate for new students. I suspect that I might keep more beginners for longer by playing the inscrutable all knowing teacher. but I cant do it. for me that would be a betrayal of my art and of why I teach.