Additions to Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Bolt, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Bolt

Bolt New Member

Have any of you MMA, (multiple martial artists), ever combine your styles effectivly?
    I have added western boxing with Muay Thai and it worked very well. Curiosity struck me, so I added a mix of Kenpo kicks, crescent, side...etc. and tested them out this weekend. Im happy to report that for the most part they worked fairly well. I'll be looking to add more offensive techniques, in the future. Anyone have any ideas?

2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

:bang: :bang: :bang: :cry: :eek: :bang: :eek: :woo:
    AHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

may i ask what rock do you live under? MMA=Mixed Martial Arts
    you know, giant sport, really popular, most effective system to date?

oh, i'm just screwing with you man... :D seriously though, thats funny.

if you are a Muay Thai guy, then i'd say combine it with a grappling art.
    JJJ. BJJ are the prime choices. its all about preferances.

3. Bolt

Bolt New Member

I kinow what MMA stands for, unfortunatly most people view MMA as UFC style, typically. To set the difference between them I use Multiple, not Mixed...see the difference? That way people dont get UFC fighting and someone who studies various arts mixed up.

Ive been in martial arts for over 20 years, Ive mixed MT with various styles, including JJ, Judo, Ninjutsu, Western Boxing, and Aikido.

Was looking for someonelse's creativity.

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

WOW 20 years, u've got me there, i've got a little under 6 years.
    my main style was jujitsu, but i've mixed it with TKD pretty well {even though i am not particularly fond of TKD} and threw in some Tai-Chi as well. my next stop is Muay Thai. hoping that will round me out a little better by improving my stand up.

5. shinbushi

shinbushi Reaver

hybrid does not = MMA

Please don't use combining TMAs together to equal MMA. MMA is a combat sport that primarily uses boxing and or kickboxing, Grecco or judo, and BJJ or sambo. Aikido JJ and ninjutsu art NOT MMA arts. Some McDojos that teach piece-meal martial arts (a little bit of this and a little bit of that) art trying to call themselves MMA because of the popularity of real MMA. Let's not help them confuse the public. :bang:

6. Bolt

Bolt New Member

Okay people, everyone so far is missing the point. Its not "mixed martial arts" its "multiple martial arts"...someone who is or has studied more than one style. Everyone clear on this?
    Whats wrong with combining styles, if it makes you a more effective fighter?
    I was a decent ametuer fighter in MT, but if combining WB and other styles to MT can make me better inside the ring and on the streets, then I'll do it.
    Its called adaptation.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

ah, it sounds so simple, but yet so many refuse to do it, why? lets kill them all, ok? :woo: :woo: :woo:
    HAHAHA!!!

8. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Emm.. Bolt, I don't know where your getting the impression from that people think practicing more than one martial art is a terrible catastrophe. In the previous replies people seem to be agreeing with you the only issue they are taking is that by using MMA as an abbreviation for 'multiple martial arts' your likely to cause confusion because its an already established abbreviation for 'mixed martial arts'.

For claritys sake the the difference between the two terms seems to be...

'Mixed martial arts' being a style of training which incorporates groundfighting and standup fighting techniques geared towards competitive tournaments.

and

'Multiple Martial Arts' as referring to training in more than one seperate martial arts (although there does seem to be a suggestion that doing so allows for a person to create a more effective hybrid style).

I dont quite get what your saying though... you say at one point "Its not "mixed martial arts" its "multiple martial arts" " and then you go on to talk about "combining styles" this would seem to suggest that you suggesting taking the techniques you find effective from each style and using them when appropriate- now what confuses me is how this differs from mixed martial arts training? Which seems to me to be essentially the same idea just without taking as much time.

Isn't it fairly common in typical MMA 'UFC style' training to have Muay Thai as the most popular standup system with some effective techniques from other styles 'mixed' in with it?

Don't mean to be a smartass here but I really don't quite understand your distinction? Oh hey and to try and be a bit helpful despite popular opinion Ive found training Wing Chun before Muay Thai has helped my close range elbow techniques so if you have the patience maybe that would be something worth exploring.

9. Bolt

Bolt New Member

I dont really see the point in the UFC, so I dont pay any attention to them. But my general subject was combining styles for street effectiveness, and how different techniques can compliment or hinder, but I didnt want people referring back to the UFC when I mention MMA (simply most people have gotten the idea that MMA is strictly UFC or Pride, in it meaning a sport rendition of the MA), I wanted peoples ideas for realistic MA.

Whats the first thing that usually pops into someones thoughts when you mention MMA....UFC. UFC isnt reality fighting, there are still rules and no weapons, I wanted to steer away from that idea.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

11. Bolt

Bolt New Member

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

Bas Rutten used to work as a bouncer and its verified by witnesses that he was PLENTY capable of laying the smacketh down. or does that not count because he went from stw33t fighting to mma? is there some kind of mystical being that would stop a mma fighter from picking up a metal bar and cracking heads? also going from your post it appears that all mma fighters wander around alone?

no, a good FIGHTER is someone who can lay the smack down. a good NEGOTIATOR is someone who can stop a fight before it starts.

oh and by the way, I would love to see you fight someone like Wanderlei Silva in a street fight. you seriously think you would stand a chance (oh thats right i forgot, MMA fighters cant pick up things like metal bars that are obviously going to be lying around in convenient locations during the fight)

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

how dare you!!! that is totally unfair, this isn't a TMA vs MMA thread, but if you wanna turn it into that we can.

they are so much more than the degrading terms and lables you assign you, they train day and night, that is certainly a full time job. simply because some of them don't have the spritual side of an "art" you assign them labels, they are **** fighters because they enjoy fierce competition, that is ridiculous.....they deserve respect, they are champions and most of them are well educated and decent people. straight up, pride and UFC fighters are gods compared to the average person.

and i'd be glad to slap you in the octagon with Randy couture or wandy silvia, you'd get the beating of your life, you don't think they are capable of handling a street situation? you are sadly mistaken. guns, knives and poles?
    come on, how low will you go, thats something a thug or gang member will do.

14. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

WOW tekkengod good response to the troll.

My JKD has a core of MT, Capoeria, WC, Hung gar, western fencing, kali, JKD concepts, Pentjak Silat, Grappling, Hsing I, Mi Tsung I. Although I havent studied JKD for very long, I can see how it all slots together. Plus I add my TKD into the equation also.

15. NaughtyKnight

Have fun getting raped in jail once you shoot someone.

Mate you sound like a 5yr old kid that thinks they can beat anyone. You think your handy lead pipe is going to magically appear in your hands, or are you going to be carring it? You think Gracie is going to allow you to turn around, bend down and pick up a weapon? No he is going to charge at you, push your wimpy punch aside and crush you into a little ball.

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thanks, i try to despose of them as quickly as possible. wow, if i'm reading this right then you have a VERY diverse background and sound pretty capable.

17. spikeg

spikeg New Member

i actually think your thread is an intereting one, at the moment im training Wing Chun Kung Fu and Gracie Jiu Jitsu. works very well.

as for the whole mma stuff thats being spouted in this thread, yes we learnt alot from pride, ufc etc, and i love it to bits, however although all the fighters are suberp martial artists (most lol) and defianatly could handle themselves outside the ring or octagon, the sport itself lacks validity in a street situation is the point i think you were trying to make, which is true.
    In most situations the last place you want to be is on the floor, mount or not. Secondly a real fight has to last seconds not minutes, cos if it drags on past the first 3 seconds the bouncers will get involved, and when those cocks start anything could happen.

You cannot slag off the UFC or Pride, not only have they brought publicity to the MA world, and ofcourse money, they have taught us valuable lessons on fighting, and ofcourse grappling

18. NaughtyKnight

Thanks man. :)

19. Bolt

Bolt New Member

There God's compared to average people. There Great fighter's. Fine, I'll believe it when I see it. Fighting someone, one on one, in a cage with no weapons, doesnt prove anything but that you can fight in a fair fight. Last I check, the streets were'nt fair. And as far as going to jail for shooting someone, would'nt happen. Im a Police Officer, as well as owning my own business. Assaulting an Officer, regardless if he is on duty or not is still a felony, in California, and if I kill him, who is to say I didnt feel my life was in danger, especially if he is more experienced in fighting, or has a weapon.

The point of all this is that your trying to base UFC and Pride and what not as real combat, and its not. It may be the closest, legal, thing to real combat, but it still leaves real combat considerations outside the cage.

You claim that using a weapon is thug or gang like, perhaps, but in my 7 years as an officer I ve seen many respectable, well trained fighters, quick to pull a weapon. They know that this is for real, not a match, this guy is out to hurt them or worse, kill them.

You call me a troll and want to dispose of me quickly? Then step out of your dream world and into reality. Get a little more education in what real fighting is, then maybe you'll understand. When you answer a call for a disturbance, and find a guy you have competed agianst, who has spent years training in BJJ MT as well as other styles, lying on a floor with a knife in his throat....then come talk to me, until then................

20. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

sorry, I missed the part where you explained why a MMA fighter cant fight dirty?