Adapting grappling/sparring?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by the other canary, Feb 2, 2018.

1. the other canary

the other canary New Member

Hi there!

Describing my problem as disability seems like an exaggeration, but the lovely disabled martial artists of MAP seem like the most likely people to have advice...

I used to do striking arts and love grappling when I was younger, but have developed a bladder disorder that has flare-ups and remissions, and painful flare-ups are easily triggered by pressure. I can still do katas, most weapon work, and standing joint locks/standing submissions, but is grappling and sparring out for me for good due to the danger of having the bladder hit/laid on? Is there good protective equipment or technique advice for this?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This is something that needs to be addressed by your doctor/physician. And any half-decent grappling coach will ask you to get medical clearance before allowing you to train.

But once you have medical clearance, a good grappling coach (and understanding training partners) will be able to adapt your training around your particular condition.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Depending on severity, and of course training appropriatly, you should be able to train fully when not having aflair up, BUT obviously you may not be able to train fully when you are having a flair up. BJJ involves alot of bodyweight being driven into your body, you can avoid this somewhat with a good coach / partners , but not all the time.