Accuracy Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cluebird, Sep 23, 2007.

1. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

What are some good methods of training the accuracy of your punches and kicks for the martial arts?

I know in some Filipino styles they use Tapi Tapi, a semi-prearranged sparring routine designed to shorten reaction time. I also know of a savate method of hanging a canvas sack from the ceiling (10/15 lbs.) and then kicking it while it is swinging around.

Any accuracy related training methods you would like to share?

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Sparring is really the only way to reliably improve your accuracy and timing in a martial art. Anything else is just a poor imitation and is not training the same set of skills IMO.

3. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

Ad McG is right. Your accuracy will be developed throuhg a combination of muscle memory and focus. You can train the muscle memory with shadow boxing but you have to train the focused reflexes on a moving opponent.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Floor to ceiling ball. We used to have one made out of a tennis ball and thick elastic. Don't have the elastic too tight.

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

yes, a double ended bag is great for timing and accuracy

6. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Pad word as well.

7. TMA

TMA Valued Member

As mentioned double end bag with a small target and focus pad work work are both great methods for training accuracy and timing and of course actual sparring will improve these attributes too

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Get a budgie for Xmas

9. donb

donb restless spirit

Nothing beats sparring to train for timing but as to accuracy (as you said, something to share) "aim small, hit small, miss small".
    This drill works usually with a round house kick using the ball of the foot (not instep), toes curled back and stopping on impact (teaches you control as well), and using your partner's chest patch as a target (that's why i hate wearing chest patch in my uniform - it's like wearing a bullseye) as he tries to approach you at irregular/unpredictable intervals. You can vary the foot work for the kick, stepping in, side step, crossing over, or whatever and same goes to your partner. We usually do about 200 kicks (25 for each variation) per leg in a session, starting with something simple then progressing, then slowing down again in the end, just for accuracy/precision and timing just for this drill.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  10. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Yup, top and bottom ball all the way, but get a proper boxing one and put tons of elastic on it so it moves fast.

Mix in pads and this will prepare you for sparring, which is where you will learn to apply training.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  11. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Way back when I first started boxing I would do is take a tennis ball and put a string through the center and hang it, because I did not have the money for the bags.

Also with a tennis ball you have someone throw the ball at you you hit it back to them. You don't have to do accuracy with fast movements the point is to stay in defined control of the muscles. That means hit the ball right back to the person that threw it. Later on we would use more than one person throwing the balls so that you could develop range control fighting approaches. This is very common in boxing as a practice. You can throw the ball of a wall and hit it at the wall to, same thing with out someone there.

First best training is sparring. Second probably the tennis ball thing. Third defiantly the double end bag mixed with the speed bag training.