absurd requirements from masters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MMAWARRIOR20, Oct 3, 2006.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Umm... GPA?

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

While its rather amusing someone whining that they are a thicko etc etc. I don't see any point at all for having an education requirement when doing a martial art... You need some intelligence but if you look at a lot of fighters, they aren't exactly rocket scientists are they. Maybe its so your training doesn't mess with your education ?

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

College AND grad school, as well as high school. :p

4. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

damn overachiever

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

There there Mav, we know you're the 'smartest' MAP'er around. :p

6. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

I <3 U 2

7. ember

ember Valued Member

H.S., easily. Maybe grad school (Humanities). Undergrad was 3.0, but you'd have to factor in what major and what school to really get that picture.

Oh, and BTW... looking around at my dojang, many of our best MAists ARE rocket scientists.

8. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Apparently some people missed the memo on what a GPA is...

GPA= Grade Point Average

4=A
    3=B
    2=C
    1=D
    0=F

Then you take the average. So if, say, I have 5 classes, and I get 3 C's and 2 A's, that leaves me with a GPA of 2.8.

(2+2+2+4+4=14/5)

And to the OP, I dont think that its too crazy to expect a certain level of academic intellegence. Having said that, I have always been a C student, and couldn't care less about GPAs. Talk to your instructor.

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

*shrug* Some people excelled in sports, I excelled in academics.

10. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

I assume this is an american educational thing of some sorts?GP whatever 3.8 sounds like a software programme.

If it makes you feel better I got one GCSE and I got a good paid job on experience alone. I did my MA without anyone asking of my education, I was never good at sports my strong side was English and Art and my spelling is awfull.
    Now I am training to be a gym instructor, its not really professional sports person but I am training and learning.

Learning is part of life you will learn more without your 3.8 software sounding grade. If you are not happy with being judged by what you know school wise don't do his class. Bit ya lip (not really bite it that would hurt) and go and find anouther class.

Tans

11. One Man Circus

One Man Circus Valued Member

You sound young - what level of education are you? So you're saying that everyone who fails this requirement gets kicked out of class or get held at the same belt forever? And any adult students have to provide their school grades?

I don't think so.

He wants you to do better. He thinks you could be the best.

I think he's using what little leverage he has.

It may be a personality test too. When you're not the best how do you cope with failure? Deal with it or run away?

12. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

Thats because most grad schools REQUIRE a high gpa.

At our school up through the end of high school all black belts must have A's and B's if they get a C they can't test

if they have a black belt and get a C they wear a white belt until their grades come up.

its to teach the kids the school is more important then anything.

13. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

That is so funny if you said that to a kid in the uk they would most likley stick up their middle finger. Its a good idea, but I didn't have grades and I found employment ok was on a good wage too.
    If someone has difficulty in their grade with learning would they have to repeat that year? how does your system work out?

Tans

14. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

by the time that requirement becomes an issuse to most of the kids they've been around the dojang long enough to know better then to give any adult the finger.

High grades can mean more then just a good job. It shows u have the dicipline to to what work needs to be done.

Hmmm lets see....... what else takes dicipline, ahh thats right the martial arts. :D If someone is having trouble in school a lot of our black belts are more then willing to help the kids with homework if they need it.

you can pass every year on D's and C's pres. Bush did it, but see the results?

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

You can get out of college with just "C"s, sadly. I would refer you to some of the earlier pages in this thread where members posted their experiences of maintaining high GPAs while balancing jobs, family obligations, and school. That's the real point.

Well, ok, that and the fact that the instructor can require whatever he wants as it's his school, lol.

16. Lily

Lily Valued Member

We have a saying here at uni: 'P's get degrees' (P = Passes, lowest possible grade to scrape through). Go for gold :p

Mav...all those head kicks can't be good for a person.

17. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

You'd think so, and you'd be right. But that doesn't make them any less fun.

18. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

I keep trying to explain to Mav that the idea is for the OTHER guy to get kicked in the head.

He doesn't quite seem to get it.

19. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

You're talking about the guy who knocked himself out going for a flying armbar, ok? Logic DOES NOT WORK.

20. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

Hah! Geeks rule!