absurd requirements from masters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MMAWARRIOR20, Oct 3, 2006.

1. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

We really dont take it that seriously. We're only taking this situation seriously because of the pending issue.... your <3.8 gpa.

Were trying to open your eyes to the importance of education.

2. MMAWARRIOR20

MMAWARRIOR20 Valued Member

Is grammar a trend on this website? I'm new so I don't know.

3. MMAWARRIOR20

I do understand the importance of education. I try my best in school all the time. I just HIGHLY doubt that I'll have what it takes to be a lawyer or a brain surgeon not that I want to.

4. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

we wear "GO GRAMMAR" t-shirts.
    We just bought the new "Sarcasm Rules!" nap sack.

Kidding. Grammar is always important bud. Just slow down, read what youre typing, then post. :)

5. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Ditch that loser of an instructor and go to a real school. It's none of his business what your academic performance level is. whilst I agree a good basic education is important, it's not in any way related to martial arts.

6. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Napoleon once said, when asked about why he pushed his troops so hard, "If you demand the impossible, you receive the maximum."

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I worked full time and attended graduate school full time at night. Then I left work to do an internship and raise my daughter full time. I worked at an internship two days a week, saw clients at my school three days a week, attended a full class load, and raised my daughter. I got a 3.9.

I AM NOT a genius. But here's the deal: You can either take yourself seriously as a well-rounded and intelligent individual or you can not. And if you short change yourself there, you're going to start short changing yourself everywhere else.

Don't be the guy who can only talk about one thing. DON'T be that guy. For pity's sake.

Stuart

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

What DO you want to be when you grow up? And please, for the love of God, don't say "professional martial artist"!

EDIT: And for the record, my mom pulled off a 3.8 GPA. She started college when I was 8, graduated when I was 12. She carried a full courseload, was raising two kids, and running a business full-time with my dad. Then she took the GRE's (Grad-School SAT) when I was about 15, and doing the same thing, except with older kids. And she carried the same GPA in grad school.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'm not trying to burn you, but grammar is important. If you want to use bad grammar or street slang with your buds, go ahead, but if your trying to make a point, get a job, be taken seriously, use proper grammar and writing. No ones perfect, but at least try, it'll get you a lot farther than you might think. :)

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think if you remember ONE thing from this entire thread, Kwajman nailed it right here.

11. Dai Yoshida

Dai Yoshida New Member

I think the instructor was trying to be responsible.

I wouldn't be comfortable teaching deadly skills to someone who is likely to become unemployed, broke and desperate.

I'm not saying an educated person is incapable of crime or that unskilled laborers are more prone to violence. I wouldn't make that kind of generalization.

It's just my two cents, since I don't teach. :)

12. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

I highly agree with you Dai Yoshida. MMAWARRIOR20, just understand that it's his rules. Why dont you ask him what you can do instead? If GPA is a difficult thing for you to achieve dont sweat it. Ask if there is something you can do to prove your worthiness.

Just an idea bro.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's kind of amazing to me that there are people out there (or down the street more likely) who are practically screaming for someone to give a rip about their futures. And then we've got people complaining that so-and-so has no right to make demands of me that I won't make of myself. Somebody's taken an interest in your well-being. Cry me a river.

Stuart

14. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

You should run from this guy.

Thank you people who got good grades, but 3.8 is really not in everyone's grasp. Many classes curve grades & therefore A's are not available to everyone.

I agree that good grades are important, but this requirement is rediculous.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

And you think running away makes more sense than talking to him about his requirements and your efforts? Why?

16. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

So youre saying that nearly every college across the US is stupid for making their athletes get a good, above average, gpa in order to stay in the team?

17. MMAWARRIOR20

Finally someone who is reasonable and understanding. I'm gonna learn as much as I can from his school. Then I'll train elsewhere when the time comes to test for a black belt. I HIGHLY doubt he will be convinced that a 3.8 is over the top but it's worth a try.

18. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

Thats right... Aim low. You wont fall far when you miss.

Can ya taste the sarcasm?

19. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Oh, I see. Anyone who disagrees with you is unreasonable.

Don't train and his school and then go elsewhere to get your black belt.

Not only are you lazy in your studies, but you're dishonest.

Just quit his school and go find a different one so we don't have to listen to your whining anymore.

20. MMAWARRIOR20

I didn't mean it in an offensive way. It's just that you don't understand what its like for me. I'm not lazy in my studies at all I try to every assignment first thing.I try to understand what I'm learning. I'm anything but lazy. BTW how am I being dishonest????