abstaining and mma

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Big Mike, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

So people still believe that crap about abstinence and performance athletics? There is zero scientific basis for it. You wanna abstain, go for it, but it won't provide any performance benefits. If there were any difference at all it would be on the less healthy end of the spectrum.

Haha, I bet you do "release" you dirty little monkey; a veritable Attila The Hun of the genetics world.

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I wouldn't worry too much. Usually takes a while before any real problems occur. If you do start feeling a bit odd, feel free to get in touch, might have some fixes for you.

For now, I'd just do some normal exercise, cardio, weights etc, should help you feel more relaxed which is a good remedy from the sorts of imbalances this stuff can create. Also, just try and enjoy your life and relax, any worry with this sort of stuff is not helpful. Good luck!

P. S. If you do find a teacher who claims to teach this sort of stuff, best to check back on here for any experiences with said teacher. A lot of snake oil salesmen about unfortunately.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I smirked at "get in touch." I apologise :p

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey its good to laugh :D

5. John R. Gambit

I do not believe for a second that exercise is a viable alternative for orgasms. It is unhealthy for men or women to abstain from orgasms. Period.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/orgasms-good-for-you-study_n_3708222.html

Or he could save himself the time of looking for a teacher who claims to teach that crap only to have us tell him they are all snake oil salesmen or insane people. One of those suggestions is the more time-efficient one.

People who promote that crap have an agenda that contradicts all scientific data on the topic. I suspect their agenda is frequently Christian in origin too.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey? I'm not talking about orgasms and even if I was talking about orgasms, I hardly think your article is relevant as the subject in the study was a woman, hence retention is not possible (debatable :) ), no comparative study on a meditator (or layman) practicing such a technique nor a control group and of course the point of the study is not something being debated here. Frankly it sounds like you have some agenda to push, regardless of the content of this discussion.

If you don't know the subject matter at hand, perhaps you should do some research before posting, period! :p and exclamation mark :D

Well you may have your own biased views and that's fair enough (and pretty damn obvious), but the man will likely make his own choices, just like everyone else.

The stuff in the books mentioned is a type of Taoist/Buddhist/Tantric meditative practices usually reserved for advanced practitioners to achieve specific results. If done correctly, they can have their benefits, but it's not something to play around with, especially when the info is coming from some guy who IMO is a fraud.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

No not gay. Omni-humper. I hump all. Also that little problem of yours that you can't even seem to mention...I don't have it. Night before a competition, Giovanni does not abstain.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

And no, I won't let you give me oral sex.

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Abstain? Never heard of this before. Is it when you spill your drink on your stomach?

11. John R. Gambit

You obviously did not read the article closely and ignored the cited news sources written within the article.

(This was cited within the article I posted.)
    http://nwkpsych.rutgers.edu/~brk/

Notice at the end of his credentials how Barry R. Komisaruk, Ph.D. has done male studies on sexuality and written books the science of orgasms in both genders, which I believe is what he was referring to.

Here is the synopsis of the book he co-authored.

[Here are the other news articles you ignored, all cited within the article I linked.]

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5263250/ns/health-sexual_health/t/not-just-good-good-you/#.Ur5J2_RDt8G

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4648/10-Reasons-to-Up-Your-Orgasm-Quotient.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-health-and-longevity-does-sex-promote-health

I'll summarize it for you.
    Sex and orgasms are believed to:
    1. Relieve depression and stress
    2. Relieve pain
    3. Boost cardio health
    4. Counter prostate cancer
    5. Promote wound healing
    6. Fight aging
    7. Make you more attractive
    8. Boost your immune system

Now I'm not gonna cite the 100s of studies supporting that data because I don't have that kinda free time. If either you or the OP is serious about learning about the subject the information is quite easy to locate by Googling it however.

Hey, I'm just telling him what the consensus in medical science has to say about the topic. And the psychology and physiology of human sexuality is something I have both formally and informally studied. A fair bit actually.

What specifically are the dangers of high level "Taoist/Buddhist/Tantric meditative practices" based around abstinence and what are your credentials in it?

Both of those studies state that testosterone levels are raised by abstaining from sex. Neither contradicts my point that abstaining from orgasms offers zero performance benefits and is actually bad for your health though. Show me a single peer-reviewed science study that demonstrates measurable athletic benefits from abstinence.

12. Big Mike

Big Mike New Member

To Fap Or Not To Fap, That Is The Question
    February 27, 2012 | 5 Comments | Topics: Dating
    must not fap
    (via Reddit)
    Here’s a pretty awesome report from some dude who took the 90 day no-fap challenge and is feeling the wide range of benefits when it comes to not cranking his love pump.
    Some personal details: 21 years old Male Virgin, no real dating experience, virtually deprived of female contact prior to 2 years ago. Forever-alone, nerdy, shy type for most of my life.
    I’ve broken up this post into the following categories so you guys can skim past and find whatever category is relevant for you:
    Please note that I’ve found NoFap to be an incredibly positive change in my life and I haven’t found any real negative effect for giving it up, save withdrawals. In this regard, I may be overly biased in favour of NoFap.
    I hope this post is helpful to whoever takes the time to read it.
    Pron Usage Prior to NoFap
    I discovered fapping by seeing pron for the first time when I was 12. Just some images, and naturally lead to some stimulation, and orgasm. From there, I fapped pretty normally, sometimes with softcore images, sometimes not. Eventually I found softcore fap material in magazines to be my primary fap-material at about 13. From there it went to animated/video-game girls (I know…) which naturally progressed into ecchi/hentai at about 15/16, when I found image-boards, alternating with softcore pictures on the internet. No videos at this stage.
    I eventually got into pretty healthy masturbation habits (once or twice a day) with ecchi/hentai/softcore pics mixed in here and there. Eventually escalated into videos of regular pron on tube sites between 18-20, for at least one year solid. Did a lot of videos. 1-3 times a day, rarely any fap-free days. During this time I was gaming a lot, and pron/fap and gaming went hand-in-hand. Gave up gaming for 2010, and pron naturally fell away, also. Incidentally, it felt awesome for 5 months. Still fapping, not so regularly during that time. Got back into gaming, and back into pron again for another 5 months. Gave it up for 2011, again. Eventually had “healthy” fap habits for a while, but had some kind of feeling that giving up fapping made me feel better, just a hunch. Seemed kind of stupid at the time though.
    Then I found yourbrainonpron.com in May this year. All of a sudden it all made sense. Before this, I just happened to have gone one week of NoFap, PRIOR to ever seeing or hearing about yourbrainonpron.com, or the 7-day cycle, or any kind of NoFap information, I felt the benefits people reported (approached by women, felt focused, motivated, energetic, better sleep etc.) So much for a placebo effect, right?
    Anyways, so I got on the wagon, and this was going to be the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Failed 3 times between May and August with 15 to 25 day streaks in between. Started my 90-day reboot on August 1st 2011.
    Dealing with Urges
    There’s no quick fix for this one. You just have to push through it. I got out of the house as much as possible, avoided pron and edging entirely, and generally cutting off sexual fantasizing. Emotional Freedom Technique (youtube it) helped me quite a bit also, but it was mainly will power that pushed me through.
    Withdrawal Symptoms
    As I said, this is probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done. The withdrawals were terrible. They included: Suicidal depression
    Flu-like symptoms
    Crying
    Fluctuating Emotions
    Extreme self-doubt
    Tiredness, Laziness
    Mild Insomnia
    Complete lack of confidence
    No desire to socialize
    Very little desire to pursue women, no libido
    Time-frame for withdrawals was roughly between days 1-3, whole of week 2 and 3. Some more in the beginning of month 2. Haven’t noticed anything significant besides that. They may have fully cleared up.
    They were hell guys. Be prepared. Just push through them. Don’t rationalize that it’s better to just fap to avoid them or clear them, they will just come back if you try to No Fap again. I didn’t realize how serious this was until these withdrawals hit. Take them as a sign of recovery.
    Energy, Motivation and Productivity
    First benefits I noticed were my energy and motivation levels as well as my productivity. All of a sudden, a surf after gym didn’t seem like a sweat. Getting my affairs sorted for college next year was a priority. Stuff got done before I fcuked around. Procrastination was kept to a minimum, time-wasting was eliminated. Nothing to do? I made something happen.
    I started filling in my spare time with productive things. Eventually I had to start taking up new hobbies (yoga, salsa dancing, some more to come) to fill in the spare time. Other things include reading non-fiction books on topics of self-improvement, meditation, Emotional Freedom Technique (youtube it) and just general chores, cleaning etc. I still have a way to go, but I was surprised how much I wanted to get things done after the withdrawals cleared.
    Waking up in the morning was no sweat. I beat my alarm on most mornings now. Some times it’s a perfect 8 hours of sleep, and I get up at the same time consistently. I don’t drink coffee or take sleeping pills or anything of the sort.
    I have been motivated as hell to get my life on track and beyond. All of a sudden, everything is a goal, not an obstacle. ohropax mentioned this. (On a side-note, short-term, and long-term memory is improved, heh)
    I finally understand what it feels like to be a man who has a hunger for achievement. There really is no way to explain the feeling except that it’s a primal desire, a horniness for success.
    Achieving goals, no matter how small, feels awesome. It’s a great little boost to get a long the way.
    Confidence and Self-Esteem
    Bam. This one will hit you out of the blue. Just after my withdrawals, I felt godly. Even though I wasn’t really doing anything to feel good about myself, I was just hit with the strongest confidence boost I’ve ever had. I wasn’t approaching beautiful women like a madman, networking with powerful businessmen or making friends like a socialite, but I definitely felt like the man, and I still do.
    There were ups and downs, and still are, but for the most part, being confident, self-bootyured, and feeling like a high-self-esteem person has been my default state for a while now. This has definitely shown itself through my posture, eye-contact and general way of being. My voice still needs some work, but I have generally been projecting it louder and clearer than usual.
    The feeling is what counts for me though. You’ll know it when you get it.
    Mindset, Focus and Other Mental Benefits
    This was a big one. My whole mindset and perception of the world changed during NoFap. I understood what I was missing out on in my teens. My thinking used to be along the lines of having to deal with problems and every day was another hbootyle to get through. With NoFap, every day I wake up thinking about what’s out there waiting for me, and I jump out of bed with this new outlook. (Morning woods help with this). I naturally adopted a go-getter attitude with this kind of thinking.
    My outlook on life has become more positive, and I’m generally more optimistic than pessimistic, and sometimes surprisingly joyful.
    My focus has been off-the-charts awesome. My attention span has increased, making conversations and remembering names easier, and my long-term memory has also improved. Remembering dreams, events, dates, important information, conversations, instructions and memories has been a lot more easier.
    I’m less “in-my-head” in most situations and that voice in my head is a lot quieter. The mental benefits of NoFap are akin to meditation’s benefits. People who practise meditation and/or yoga etc. will be able to relate.
    Social Skills
    This was an eye-opener. I started having these uncanny conversational skills about a month into No Fap. All of a sudden, making jokes and puns was as natural as breathing. Eye-contact was solid, with men and women, especially women. People have commented on me being a good conversationalist.
    I have a natural and healthy interest in people now, of both sexes. I enjoy finding out about people and what interests them, and that naturally makes interacting with people easier, more fun, and smooth. In my fapping days, I’d have to do a lot of thinking, and be in my head to think of good topics, jokes, or questions. Now it just flows, as if I’m playing a musical instrument.
    Being able to sit with a bunch of friends isn’t awkward anymore. It’s relaxed and fun and I feel comfortable around people. For the first time in my life, I feel like I contribute to the “vibe” or the “party”, if only in a small sense. I used to feel like I sucked the life out of everyone around me. Now I feel like people want me around more and more.
    I’ve had friends invite me out, had deep conversations with people, and met new people with ease, of both sexes, as of late. It’s no coincidence that I just happened to be NoFapping for a month before this started happening. As ridiculous as it sounds to new guys, I’m convinced no fap improves your social skills.
    Women
    This goes hand in hand with social skills, but I thought I’d separate the two as I’ve felt I’ve had some benefits with relating to women that clearly weren’t the result of improved social skills. Besides being able to start and hold conversations with women, occasionally approaching women, holding eye-contact like a god, and generally feeling at total ease around females of all levels of attractiveness, there’s just something magical about NoFap and what it can do if your goal is to improve your relations with women.
    I’ve had at least 10 instances, these last few months alone, of women of all ages approach me, out of the blue, without me making eye-contact, or smiling or gesturing. Nothing. This has also happened in the past, in conjunction with no-fap streaks. I have no idea what it is, but it happens. Needless to say, this NEVER happens in my fapping days, save ONE occasion when I was ridiculously drunk, and so was she.
    Women have also been more friendly and receptive to me in general. There has been a lot of giggling, quick glances and/or hushed silences when I walk past girls, or made eye-contact.
    As an ex-forever-alone, ex-nerd, virgin this is a huge revelation for me.
    What has been more amazing is my confidence and attitude around women, however. Talking to women has never been so exciting and enjoyable. Of the few times that I’ve approached girls, or the many regular interactions I’ve had with them, I’ve always felt an edge of excitement, rather than anxiety. This is huge for me. I think the girls can feel it also.
    On a side-note, I’ve had to deal with, or better yet, enjoy the presence of MASSIVE boners while interacting with girls. As I walk up to her, or start talking, if we’re side-by-side, it starts and there’s no stopping it. Any kind of touch sends it rocketing, and I’ve had some light grinding and bumping which the girls clearly didn’t mind at all. It’s almost part of the fun that I have to strategically hide my erections from others while having to still focus on the interaction. It’s also ironic that I can do this seamlessly, whereas in the past, I’d struggle to just hold a decent conversation… Now I juggle all this like a performer in Vegas.
    On a final note, women really have been looking so beautiful. I realize there’s a lot that I’ve been missing when looking at women. Of course I enjoy their bodies like I always have in my pron days. But even more so, now. Breasts, buttocks, hips, hair, face, lips, smile, eyes, skin, style, clothing, posture, voice, vibe… all these things are accentuated, and I notice the smaller details as well as the, ahem, larger ones. I don’t consider my standards “lowered”, just different, compared to my pron-obsessed brain’s standards.
    The desire for having girlfriends, masked profanity removed-buddies, and even just female friends has hit me for the first real time in my life.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
  13. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

John, I think you need to careful re-read this thread and note that nowhere, other than in relation to your post have I mentioned anything about either orgasm or retention. Your welcome to prove me wrong on this.

My posts to Big Mike were strictly in respect to the general content of Mantak Chia's books, which I assume you haven't read.

Additionally, for the sake of clarity, kindly point out where and whom is negating your comments in relation to orgasm and why you feel it is necessary to attempt to argue this.

Also, I think you need to note that the studies I posted were not in any way related to your post. Seems like your trying to create some sort of argument out of nothing and attempting to justify such unwarranted action.

Are you looking for some sort of ego boost? Maybe you should go beat one out? I hear it releases stress

14. Big Mike

Big Mike New Member

i cn cite more examples

15. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I never knew "Fapping" was so controversial... or blue balling your self being risky business. Hu, you learn something new everyday.

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I take all my sex advice from 21 year old virgins too.

Edit: Seriously, what part of that sounds like a good idea?

17. John R. Gambit

Done.

You cited two studies about ejaculation and testosterone levels. What precisely was your purpose in citing either study? And why do you both keep referring to it as "retention?"

No, I haven't read them. If I had would I now be using terms like retention instead of abstinence? Do you believe that abstaining causes you to save up chi?

I thought that was pretty obvious. The OP is talking about orgasms apparently.

It "seemed" to be what you were replying to. Especially when you linked two "no ejaculation studies" after that post from the OP (on page 1) and after I explained that there is no athletic performance (page 2) benefit to abstinence.

What point were you making by posting those studies, exactly?

Originally I replied to your statement's:

"You can see some of the negative effects people have by checking out the reviews for his books on Amazon. Can induce psychosis and such, if I recall correctly one of the terms is 'kundalini-syndrome'."

And

"For now, I'd just do some normal exercise, cardio, weights etc, should help you feel more relaxed which is a good remedy from the sorts of imbalances this stuff can create."

I thought you were claiming that this Mantak Chia's abstinence protocol could induce psychosis and exercise would reduce the "imbalances" of that protocol.

If that is not what you meant I apologize and clearly I misunderstood your point. Perhaps you could clarify now. What specific imbalances does this Mantak Chia's fellow methods cause?

Afraid not. This is entirely based on a communications misunderstanding it seems. I was exclusively addressing the physiology of abstinence, nothing more.

And I was replying to your statement of:

"I'm not talking about orgasms and even if I was talking about orgasms, I hardly think your article is relevant as the subject in the study was a woman, hence retention is not possible (debatable ), no comparative study on a meditator (or layman) practicing such a technique nor a control group and of course the point of the study is not something being debated here. Frankly it sounds like you have some agenda to push, regardless of the content of this discussion.

If you don't know the subject matter at hand, perhaps you should do some research before posting, period! and exclamation mark:"

All I have ever been addressing here is the science of abstinence. What exactly is "retention" and why are women incapable of it?

Again, it seemed you were stating that you can undo the health consequences of abstinence from exercise alone, that is why I cited the study to begin with. Well, that and to inform the OP of all the potential health consequences of abstinence. Even though I quoted you I was addressing the entire thread, not just you. I replied like that to save myself time editing my post while I'm supposed to be working, which I am absolutely not doing now.

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

As much as I try to stay unbiased, any studies that support self pleasure immediately seem more legitimate to me than any studies that do not. :3

19. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

True retention is impossible anyway as a guy will **** it out if it isn't discharged in sexual activity.

The act of retention is when a male orgasms but prevents ejaculation,which may be for "alchemical" purposes or just for hedonistic reasons.

In the realm of physicality a woman could do the same as a guy tho' I wouldn't see the point. In the realm of Tantric/meditative/alchemical practices it would depend upon the individual school of thought as to whether such practices for women are supposed to have any benefit/uses or are non-applicable to them.

As to Eastern esoteric practices guys were supposed to be able to transform their sperm (yuan ch'i,original ch'i) if they didn't discharge it.

Think back many centuries to when they formulated these theories.Semen is obvious and recognized as responsible for fathering children.Women don't all have an obvious discharge and pregnancy can happen with or without orgasm on the female's part. So oftimes the gals got left out in these particular theories.

I'm guessing ITS meant Chia's stuff in general,because some of those practices require ongoing supervision by a teacher.

I believe we had a thread sometime in the last few years on what psychiatry refers to as "ch'i sickness". For whatever reasons some practices can lead to problems for some people-anything from psychosis to physical problems.

20. John R. Gambit

Thank you for the information in a direct and coherent fashion El Medico. But uh... how does one ejaculate without emitting ejaculate, barring surgical procedures? Please tell me it doesn't involve rubber bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.