abs and fat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Jan 19, 2005.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Hello again,

Bin working out at the gym, doing plenty of sit ups, pushups and other abinducing workouts, by doing this, it strengthens the abes right...but will it get rid of the later of fat on my stomach?

2. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

i had surgery last spring so i am still recoverying. this week i tried out my kettlebell for the first time (35lb) and it seems pretty fun. there are some simple ab excersizes that seem to also streangthen your forearms. i hear that you burn alot more energy(fat) while doing kettlebells, and i would agree. you actually run out of breath from lifting! its weird.

if your going to do something like kettlebells and do not have a sore shoulder like me... they say to mix it up with something inbetween to get your heart rate up and energy burning rate up. like..

1set of x with kettlebell
    jump rope 2min
    1set of y-abs with kettlebell
    jump rope 2min
    1set of x with kettlebell
    jump rope 2min
    1 set of y with kettlebell

you probably don't have kettlebells but you could do something similiar. if your doing upper body excersizes, warm up your body first with some wind sprints or jump roping... do a round of sets... repeat jumprope/wind sprints... do a round of sets ect... thats my plan at least. oh and dont order out pizza after working out it doesn't help

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

No - it won't.

You cannot "spot reduce"

The way to get rid of fat is to get rid of it in general by burning more calories than you eat. Less food - more cardio!

4. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Hmmm, So, doing these ab exercises wont get rid of the fat but will strengthen my abs...they will be there, so once i get rid of the fat, they'll be there?

If thats so... whats the best cardio way of reducing fat around the stomach?

i do 6km of cyling,+1k of rowing or 1k of running

Also, when you see articles that increase your abs, are they aimed at people who are flat chested?
    thanks

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  5. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Spot reducing fat is not possible. Just do quite a lot of cardio/HIIT and you'll be sorted.

6. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Theres no best way to target a certian area, as Yoda said you can't spot reduce because "burning" fat targets all the subcu-fat.

As for flat chested, do you mean without gyno? Definetly, with a high bodyfat that comes with gyno you will not be able to see the abdominal muscles.

7. Stephen

Stephen New Member

Hey

It makes perfect sense but I never thought about the whole having to reduce fat for abs, (probably because I'd consider myself fairly thin so never looked at ways to loose fat before) just did lots of sit-ups, crunches etc and never got results I wanted... :(

I've also taken up swimming twice a week, but think maybe skipping would be a one of better ways to reduce fat, plan to start now, but haven't tried yet so just an idea... Maybe someone here can say if it will work or not?

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yeah - skipping the pies, skipping the cakes and skipping the beer :Angel:

9. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

hahahahahahaha!

10. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Yeah - skipping the pies, skipping the cakes and skipping the beer

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................... :eek: :cry: :eek:

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Pies and cakes no problem but skipping the beer is the tough part. I don't
    know how you guys do it across the pond as yours is so much better than ours....

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Try the dragon flag exercise. This is one hell of a hard exercise.

To lose fat try sprinting up hills and jogging back down. Also try and eat more fruit. Perhaps have a whole meal (such as breakfast) completly using fruit, eat till full.

Here is a pick of the Dragon flag exercise. I did it last night and its bloody hard.

Attached Files:

13. MattN

MattN Valued Member

That's a pretty creative way to hold yourself down. Probably the most 'fun' exercise ever.

14. NaughtyKnight

I wouldnt say its fun. It burns like all hell. It is pretty cool though. :cool:.

15. MattN

MattN Valued Member

Do 'em sometime off a lunchbench at school, impresses everybody :cool:

16. NaughtyKnight

HAHA, yeah it would do. Its on par with doing hand stand push ups. Now they are cool aswell :love:

17. MattN

MattN Valued Member

hmmm.....a plyometric handstand pushup would be REALLY cool :cool:

18. NaughtyKnight

now your just showing off. :D

19. Blooming Lotus

Blooming Lotus Banned Banned

some really good information so far and 100 ways to wqork your abs, pick one, but even if you have some seriously strong and toned muscle, if you have inches of fat covering it it all, it's not what your after right ;)

I also think that although you can have the same density and tone at a higher body fat %, having that extra limits your core rom and then comprimises cardio / speed and so from there. Sorry to blunt, but you can have your pies and eat them too, you just need to bipass on the crust :cool:

cheers and happy ripping........ being lean is a commitment and if you 're keen, I wish you the best

BL

20. NaughtyKnight

damn pies.

seriously though guys, you wanna lose weight. Work at it. ROWING MACHINE!!!!!!!!!