About tekko

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Kuma, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I have virtually no formal training in kobudo so I am only aware of the most common weapons seen nowadays. However, today I first learned about tekko, the Okinawan version of brass knuckles if you will. I've spent the last hour reading about it and watching kata performed with it, and to me the kata was the most interesting. The tekko seem to amplify every hand technique and for being as obscure as it is I wonder what kind of influence it may have had on the development of Okinawan karate.

To MAPpers with tekko experience, can you recommend any research material for the tekko? Sharing your experiences with the tekko would be interesting to see too.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I did some Kobudo with these guys a few years ago , one of the weapons being tekko.
    Many of the techniques seemed pretty straight forward "hit them with a lump of meta" kind of stuff , however, there were some interesting raking techniques with the spikes on the front , and the bars on the the back of the D made some pretty nasty crushing options.