about martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Infinity, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Infinity

Infinity -Invincible-

whats the difference between studing ma and free styling, u get just as good sparing and make your own combinations , why do u need to use styles and moves? so is it better studying ma or doing freestyle and why.

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Ok, imagine one person doing what you said. Now imagine him teaching it to someone, and that person teaching it to another each one perfecting it and making it better as they go along. If you do that for a couple thousand years, I'd just about guarantee you'd have a more refined style than someone who just spars a lot.

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

What exactly do you mean by "freestyling"?

4. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I think he means something like...

Yo yo, check it..
    My skin is white but mah neck is red..
    I like Miracle whip on my wonder bread.. ;)

*gets on turntables* WICKA WICKA!! :D

5. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Ok now imagine a guy doing as Infinity said...just sparring and fighting and seeing what works. Now imagine him showing that to someone else. Now that someone teaches it to another. Now that guy decides to organize what he's learned. He takes the theories and movements and makes them into pre-arranged sets, techniques, and katas. He then teaches that to another, perhaps a group. If you do that for a couple thousand years, I'd just about guarantee a student of that will get his ass beat by someone who just spars a lot.

6. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

Yo is freestylin' dog! :D

Seriously though, why do your own thing when countless techniques have been tried and tested, or discarded. Why re-learn all the mistakes those guys made in developing their individual MAs? Learn a MA style and then adapt it around your body shape, your style of fighting. In the end you can be 'freestylin' but doing it based on solid training and techniques.

7. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Infinity did say the methods described had "just as good sparring" as each other.

I think the argument is purely "style" verses simply doing your own thing.

I'd say doing your own thing is fine, as long as you always win with it. If you don't, maybe you should think about learning from someone else. Oh, and if you do always win, why bother training?

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I would too. By then it's about memorizing sets of techniques instead of learning to move properly.. And that doesn't work at all.

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I am with doppleganager why not learn from the experience of those who have gone before.If Benny the jet was to tell me something I WOULD LISTEN!!!

koyo

10. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

*massive applause*

That white boy sure knows how ta reck it yo!

11. I'm a white boy but my neck is red. I put Miracle Whip on my Wonder Bread.
    My face is pale and I never been in jail. Me and Buffy spend every winter in Vail.

How many bitches have I slapped: zero!
    And Martha Stewart happens to be my hero.

I grew up on the farm and I was born with no rhythm. Dr. Phil's my uncle and I like to hang with him.

I can't dance, I wear khaki pants, my middle name's Lance, my grandma's from France.

So what if I'm wack 'cause my skin ain't black, but you can't talk smack 'cause whitey just struck back!

Wahey!!! :D

12. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Y'all's gonna bring the roof down with them sick rhymes yo!

13. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Teach yourself how to play piano.
    Then, find a piano teacher and have them teach you a structured method of learning music, how to read it, how to play it, and finally, how to freestyle it and make up your own music..

Which one took more time in the end? Wandering about picking bits and pieces, or having someone with everything you need to learn so you can get to playing quicker?

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's better to study MA. Organization, resources, and experience. A well-run class will have parameters set (based on years and years of experience) to help prevent unnecessary injury. A good coach or teacher will have an outside perspective that you and your mates won't have developed yet.

Besides, I'm with Medi. I'm not clear on what you really mean by freestyle. If I had to guess, though, I'd say you're drawing movements and strategies from video games, movies, books, and so on. In which case, you're still using movements and styles. You're just drawing from very poor sources. And that's bad research methodology.

Finally, a proper class offers a wider range of experiences. In a freestyle sparring group, you'll learn to spar the people in your group. But how wide a range of skills do they really represent? How long will it take you to learn (and then depend upon) their habits and tendencies? In a proper class, you'll generally be afforded a wider range of people to train with.

But the real question in my mind is why wouldn't someone want to train in a proper school? I can think of reasons. Even valid reasons. But I think many of them could be addressed by taking the time to identify the right school. Many people's problems with martial arts, I think, are actually a question of bad fit between person and school.

Stuart

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

"Freestyling" (?!?!) will only ever give you experiences that happen while you do it. Valuable experiences no doubt but "limited" to the time and the place. If someone never gets the mount position while you freestyle you'll never learn how to get out of it so when you might need to for real you can't.
    Doing something like BJJ will ensure that you do end up in the mount and how to get out of it.
    The structure takes you to places that just making it up might miss (and vice versa to be fair).
    The structure enables you to take advantage of other peoples experience.
    Doing a MA is like reading a book that someone else has written. You can read it all or just take bits and pieces.
    Freestyling is like a writing a book yourself. Writing is much, much harder than reading a book although ultimately you might end up with a book that suits you better.

I know what I'm driving at anyway. ;)

16. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I know, but I saw the delicious irony and felt compelled to comment :D

17. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Free styling should be the end result after many years of practising whichever art you choose not the beginning.The old saying in martial arts learning should be forgotten and natural action should take it's place.

regards koyo