about firewalls

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Infinity, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Infinity

Infinity -Invincible-

are there any free software firewalls out there that only has a firewall and no app control. cuz i dont want to keep clicking the allow when i open some programs, i want one with a learning mode or no app control at all. i have zonealarm and it has a learning mode so i wont bother keep clicking on it. the reason i want another one is that zonealrm eats up alot of ram. i want a good one with good features

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Zone Alarm really doesn' take that long to configure. And ongoing configuration of new programs and updated programs takes mere seconds.

To be brutally honest with you, if you can't be bothered to make the small effort required to set it up properly, then you may as well not use one at all.

Just my 2p.

3. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

windows has one built in

4. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

I backup CF's opinion.

If you don't want to follow that path purchase a router, which is easier to configure and heaps safer.

Otherwise Sygate free is a very decent application-based FW and scores "Stealth" at ShieldsUP!

But never use this firewall with a local proxy has it allows outbound traffic.No good.

Another top free alternative is Kerio 2.1.5., but this fw is much harder to configure.

If you are interested in this rules-based FW let me know and I post some links for you.

Here:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate

Donwload version: 5.6.2808

Easy to follow setup guide:

http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

Good luck.

Note: For maximum security combine a hardware FW (NAT router) with a software firewall.

5. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

my zonealarm never allows my firefox to get through, any tips ??

6. CosmicFish

I'm not a Firefox user, but here are some thoughts.

Do the obvious first, and double check that Zone Alarm is configured to allow Firefox to access the internet.

Try allowing it server priviledges too. See if that makes a difference.

If neither of those work, it could be the case that firefox uses some other component to handle the actual traffic. You could try going through the list and setting all the items that are configured to deny access to query instead. Then run Firefox again and see if anything unual pops up requesting access.

Also, try switching off Zone Alarm and then run Firefox. Just to be sure the problem isn't with Firefox itself.

HTH

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'm using Zone Alarm and Firefox and they work fine together, just follow the Fishies advise and all should be cool :)

8. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Not trying to rip away from the origonal post here and im sure i could do my own research but meh. What is "zone alarm" and how much does it retail?

9. CosmicFish

10. Martial Alex

sever apart from firefox, in the programme control list, what else do you allow access to, which could be to do with firefox ??

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Firefox is the only thing I've got running that's to do with Firefox, I think. When I installed it, it asked if I wanted to allow Firefox access, I said yes, it worked
    You're not having much luck with this PC of yours lately are you? :)

12. CosmicFish

13. Martial Alex

see, i knew something was fishy, i hope the firefox guys sort it out at some point.

14. CosmicFish

Yeah. Me. :D

15. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

This free firewall is better than ZA and even many paid FWs:

Comodo

I am using it now and has given me no issues at all.

You get a free lifetime license after the required online registration.

16. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Personally I'm fairly casual minded, but I think £25 spent on a 15 month Norton Net Security Subscription is money well spent, I will never have to worry about the security of my files... and meh... firefox works with it :p