Abdominal/Diaphragm Stretch

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by inthespirit, Jun 15, 2012.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey Folks,

Thought I’d share this with you, I have found it very useful for stretching the abdominal muscles and removing unnecessary tension from hindering the movement of the diaphragm, consequently makes breathing fuller and more relaxed.

I’ve simplified it a bit by using a foam roller under the lower back in order to allow the pelvis to hang down (off the roller), also bent knees (shoulder width apart) makes the stretch a bit fuller and has a nice effect on the inguinal groove.

Hope that’s of some use to you all.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPCCpKZ-mSE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Jill Miller diaphragm mechanics - YouTube[/ame]

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You know, although I know similar types of activities and can feel that different things are being moved/worked by this type of exercise, the explanations just sound like so much gobbledegook :' P How do you think that they have ever been able to confirm that doing this exercise actually 'stretches' the diaphragm?

Normally when you work one muscle you get the antagonist to relax via reciprocal inhibition. But consider this : when you actually try and stretch connective tissue you need to maintain the the muscle in a lengthened position for a substantial period of time (read 30 seconds to minutes). So I could see this as a way of getting the diaphragm to relax but I am not so sure that any part of the diaphragm is put in a sustained position long enough to actually 'stretch' anything.

When I did this sort of practise in the past I could feel better, more relaxed control of my muscles which is great. I can't really see how you would confirm their theories about stretching without some pretty fancy equipment.

Also why the bleep is the guy wearing forearm supports??

The demonstrator has good technique btw.

LFD

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thanks for your opinion LFD!

Personally, in these sort of scenarios I generally ignore the explanations and just see how the exercise makes me feel. With this one I do feel better doing it and thats all that matters to me (breathing and body are better and more relaxed). But yeah, I have no clue why the dude is wearing those sleeve things :)

A lot of other interesting exercises on that channel.

4. Late for dinner

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I can do it but you can't see it cause its hidden under my gut :D

You do this sort of stuff?

6. Late for dinner

Used to in the past.. only occasionally these days... I was big into yoga in my 20's (30++ years ago ;' ).

LFD

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Any thoughts on the purpose and effects of such practice?

8. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Would anyone have any thoughts on the relationship of the diaphragm and stress relief.

the diaphragm is utilised in most of the common stress relief mechanisms (yawning, crying, laughing, roaring) and is diagphragm breathing is utilised in shiatzu and yoga.

What makes the diaphragm so pivotal in the bodies stress relief mechanisms?

9. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Because it is the engine house for the respiratory system (and gas exchange permits us to continue to live and to react to a stressful situation), and in order to vocalise we need to have airflow through our respiratory system?

As to why we use vocalisation as an expression of emotion, I have no answer, but make the observation that it is something that is common to most primates.