Ab questions

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mystik, Mar 13, 2007.

1. mystik

mystik In for a challenge

Well its only one question, I'm trying to get some good abs. What kind of exercises besides the basic sit ups and crunches can I do to help me with that?

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

what do you mean by "good abs?" functional core strength, or a sixpack?

3. mystik

like a six pack :D

4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

well defined abs are about diet, not exercise. situps won't do much of anything to lower your body fat, which is all that matters for a six pack.

5. mystik

what kind of diet should I be on? I don't have to much body fight, i'm a 6'2" guy that weighs 150 I don't have to much fat I don't suppose.

6. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

look around in this forum; i believe there's a LOT of good advice on diet available.

you're, what, eighteen? eat sensibly and train hard, and the rest will take care of itself. this is the time for building lean muscle mass.

how you've managed to be 6'2" and 150lbs and still have enough body fat to ask the original question is... somewhat irksome, really. ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  7. mystik

irksome?? what does that mean??? Sorry i have actually never heard that word before lol

8. gornex

gornex Valued Member

What ever it means, the point is you should have low body fat, or you are out of shape bad at 6'2 150.

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Everyone says you just need to lower your bf% to get 6 packs. That thinking is wrong.

You will only have defined abs, if you have large enough mucle underneath to begin with.

Weighted crunches and russian twists done during your bulking cycle, will build up the muscle. Then just lower your bf% to around 10% (or lower) to show them off.

10. gornex

gornex Valued Member

I agree, i know guys who's bf% is around 10 and they don't have good 6 packs.

11. NaughtyKnight

You are definatly, severly underweight. Dont lower your body fat at all. Start a bulking cycle, or few, and eat big, lift big until you put on some muscle. Hell, even putting on some fat would be a good idea.

I know where you are coming from. I'm 6ft 1 at 172lbs atm. I'm seriously underweight after glandular fever and other things.

12. mystik

i know i''m under weight. i'm working on adding some mass, i've been drinking my protein shake. There is no way in hell that i'm going to drink anymore of that nasty super pump though. anyways thanks for the feedback so far guys :D

13. NaughtyKnight

There is more to putting on mass, than drinking protein shakes.

14. mystik

well I work out regularly and eat when I can also. I know that sounds really stupid but, i'm an 18 year old who works 35hrs a week and still goes to school and on my days off my arts take up my time. I know thats not an excuse but thats the reason I eat when I can and do what I can. Unless there is a more simple way then the basic eating more and protein shakes?

15. NamSagoon

NamSagoon Banned Banned

Superpump actually cause me to lose mass. I used to be undersized too. If you are like me, and putting on mass is difficult, it may just take some time. I know it took me a while to put on some good mass. First, make sure you are eating enough (easier said than done). If you take martial arts classes regularly, you are probably getting alot of cardio and need to make sure you eat before and after training. Second, lift 3-4 days a week. Third, evaluate your diet. It may be worth your time to go to a nutritionist. They can help you alot. Do you have a sensitive stomach? (I ask because you don't seem to care much for superpump or the protein shakes and your skinny). If so, stay away from the protein shakes. Anything that bothers your stomach is just going to impede your workout. You can get the protein from regular food. Try eating more fish, and start your morning with some eggs and rice. Remember that what works for big body builder types might not work for you. It took me years to realize this. Also, if your only 18 or so, you still have a few years to develop. I know guys who were skinny senior year of highschool and just naturally developed more mass by their mid twenties. Additionally many of the diets you see recommended in muscle mags, while they will put mass on you, are not good for your body. Your kidneys are cannot handle the amount of protein that these guys consume. They will tell you to eat one gram of protein for every pound you weigh. This is wrong, and it is bad for your body. You should consume only 0.36 grams of protein for every pound you weigh. This is really easy to do (in fact you probably already take in this much protein). Really you should focus on being more comfortable with your body type, and realize that it will change over time naturally (especially if you work out). You don't want to overstress your body by overloading it with protein. If you are too skinny, and at an unhealthy weight, just try to take in more calories during the day (and see a doctor).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  16. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

actually, the recommended dietary intake of protein is 0.8g per kg bodyweight. it's not hard to get. in north america the average person consumes 1.6g, so we all get enough protein. if you eat excess protein it either gets synthesized as fat or eliminated from the body through urine or feces. which makes protein shakes pretty useless IMO, because you'll pee that extra protein away anyways. also, since you're 18, your body has not fully matured yet. in fact, male bodies mature in the mid-late 20's. this is when your shoulders will reach their maximum width. you might have finished growing vertically, but are just beginning to grow horizontally. if you constatly work out at a high intensity & never put on any weight, it means that your body is telling you to let it finish growing first.

17. NamSagoon

NamSagoon Banned Banned

I think we might have different recommendations in the use. The RDA for protein here is definately 0.36 grams per pound of body fat.

18. NaughtyKnight

It all depends on how much your body is using.

19. mystik

No I don't have a weak stomach, I just hate the taste of orange super pump. It's horrible, protein shakes don't bother me. I know fish is a great protein provider but even the smell of fish makes me puke. I work out when I can, I don't have a regular work out session except the 2 classes of Tae Kwan do and 2 classes of jujitsu. I'm pretty sure I don't gain mass very easy because my whole families tall and skinny lol. I try to eat as much as I can, I eat a bowl of cereal in the morning then a bottle of orange juice. Then at lunch I eat whatever they have. and for dinner I usually eat pizza from my job..... thats the only things I eat. I really hope it will change in time. I know i should get more comfortable with my body type I mean I am kind of comfortable with it I just rather have some abs and a decent pair of arms I dont want to be all hardcore huge muscles or anything like that.

Thank you for giving such advice a nutritionist may not be a bad idea :D how much do one of them things cost lol I probably don't make enough :p

20. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

you're an eighteen year old male. you don't need a nutritionist. you need a balanced diet and lots of exercise.

the rda is for someone who is essentially sedentary.