a Travesty in action

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Travess, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Thursday (21/02/19)

AM:
    I had an Arm/Chest Day Session planned for today, working in Super Sets, for 6 x 10 reps of each

Warm-up:
    ROM Drills
    Sanchin Kata

Super Set 1:
    Bicep Curls
    Tricep Curls

Super Set 2:
    Chest Press
    Overhead Pull

Super Set 3:
    Hammer Curls
    Tricep Dips

Super Set 4:
    Lateral Shoulder Raises
    KB Halo

Set 5:
    AMRAP Bicep Curls @ 34 reps

Cool Down:
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Note:
    I was charging my Garmin, so did not get any stats for this workout.

PM:
    Kids Karate @ 6minutes - It was a Mats Down Session tonight, working a Ground Skills - Scarf Hold, with Transitions and Escapes for the intermediates and juniors, and a Scarf Hold, Side Control, Mount transition Flow Drill for the Seniors.

Adults Karate @ 90 minutes - The adults had their Pre-grading Sparring requirements, which tonight required me to run the Warm-up, be on stand by on First Aid, Marking results and, where necessary, Safety

Travess

axelb likes this.
  2. Travess

Friday (22/02/19)

I decided to take a step outside of my Running Plan today, by doing kind of an Active Rest Run (much shorter distance, with a little walking included along the way)

Warm-up:
    Light Kata (Ichi, Ni, Saifa, Sanchin)
    Stretching

Moderate/High Cardio:
    3 x 90 sec Shadow Boxing rounds (starting with hands only, then adding knees and elbows, and Finally including kicks)

Run 11:
    Okay, so my plan for this kind of went sideways - I still opted for much shorter run, but instead of taking it easy, I absolutely gunned my 1st Kilometre, then tried to maintain a strong pace, whilst energy levels were pretty low.

Duration: 30 mins
    Distance: 5.83km
    Fastest Pace: 3m 01s per/km
    Slowest Pace: 5m 40s per/km
    Average Pace: 5m 09s per/km
    1st Kilometre: 4m 43s

Cool Down:
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 58 mins
    Starting HR: 62 bpm
    Max HR: 177 bpm
    Average HR: 162 bpm
    Calories: 653 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  3. Travess

Saturday (23/02/19)

Today was planned as, and was fully intended to be a Rest Day, as there were over 12 hours of Gradings taking place (inc. 4 Dan gradings) but none of which were mine.

By the end of the day though, in addition to sitting on the (kyu grade) Panel, I ended up being Pad Holder, Bunkai Uke and Sparring Partner (for 9 out of the 36 rounds that took place) for all of the black belt candidates.

Whilst the 1st of these roles was neither taxing, nor hard on my body, the following 2 roles were increasingly more so, it made sense for me now to make Sunday (24/02/19) my Rest Day

Travess

4. Travess

Monday (25/02/19)

AM:
    I had another much shorter (though longer than the last one) Run planned in for this morning, ahead of this Saturday's (much) longer one.

Warm-up:
    Light Cardio Tabata
    Stretching Tabata

Run 12:
    Just another relaxed, light, Off-Road Run again this morning.

Duration: 37 mins
    Distance: 6.84km
    Average Pace: 5m 24s per/km

Cool Down:
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 56 mins
    Starting HR: 71 bpm
    Max HR: 188 bpm
    Average HR: 166 bpm
    Calories: 664 used

PM:
    We have this young (19) downs-syndrome lad (whom I have previously mentioned) who trains with us, but who struggles with fully structured gradings, so we usually assign him an Instructor (in this case me) to take him through his grade requirements as part of a regular session, and then assess him as we go.

After 60 minutes of Kihon Drills, Padwork, Kata, a small amount of Bunkai, even some Light Sparring, and I am very happy to say that he Passed with flying colours.

Travess

5. Travess

Tuesday (26/02/19)

Stepping away from my running training for today, I decided to squeeze in an a bit of Strength Training Session, (finally) making it out into the garage (for the 1st time this year)

Warm-up:
    Stretching / ROM Drills
    Shadow Boxing Tabata

Workout:
    3 groups of 3 exercises, working in Super Sets, for 10 down to 5 reps of each.

Super Set 1:
    16kg Bicep Curls
    Tricep Dips
    Bicycle Crunches

Super Set 2:
    30kg Back Squat
    20kg Hammer Curls
    Leg Raises

Super Set 3:
    40kg Deadlifts
    34kg Bench Press
    Ab Roll Outs

Cool Down:
    Just* Tensho Kata

Duration: 50 mins
    Starting HR: 86 bpm
    Max HR: 150 bpm
    Average HR: 108 bpm
    Calories: 345 used

(Note: *I'd over run, and didn't have enough time left to both stretch and shower, ahead of dinner, so I combined the two)

Travess

6. Travess

Wednesday (27/02/19)

I had intended to make today a Mid-length Run (approx 10km) day, but things were definitely going in my favour, so, not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I just kept on plodding.

Warm-up:
    Stretching / ROM Drills
    Light Cardio Drills

Run 13:
    Duration: 1h 32m 16s
    Distance: 16.22km
    Best km: 5m 19s per/km
    Slowest km: 6m 06s per/km
    Average km: 5m 42s per/km

Note: I was able to quite comfortably maintain my goal pace for the 1st 8 miles, but after that, it became increasingly harder.

Cool Down:
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 55 mins
    Starting HR: 76 bpm
    Max HR: 188 bpm
    Average HR: 166 bpm
    Calories: 1537 used

Travess

7. Travess

Thursday (28/02/19)

Kids Karate @ 60 minutes - We have a grading coming up on the 9th March, so today was spent heavily on Stance Transitions, Kihon, Impact Drills, and Kata.

Adults Karate @ 120 minutes - We had an extended session tonight, with 2 guest instructors, each taking an hour long section.

Guest 1: Iain Abernethy - Iain took us through some Proprioception Drills, which he did with Partner Drills - using touch, over sight, to identify where our enemy/target is - Next up he ran us through Striking/Redirecting Flow Drill, which drew heavily from the previous partner drills. He then finished up this particular theme with a Pad Flow Drill, that followed the same techniques as the previous flow drill, but with an emphasis on Impact, as well as the original Proprioception concepts.

Iain's final teaching point, was to introducing a drills on Protecting a Third Party, and ways to get them to work with, even if they are in 'freeze' mode and unable to follow simple instructions.

Guest 2: Christian Wedewardt - Christian started us off on the Pads, getting us warmed up, for what was to come. The best way I can describe what Christian taught next is a Striking Flow Drill, with the each technique feeding and rolling into the next, often striking with the same hand consecutively - This started off with 3 continuous sets of strikes, which then had additional strikes added to it.

Next we looked briefly at Defending and Countering off the same side, working both inside and outside the attacking limb.

Finally Christian had us run thru some Body Disruption Drills - The effect that strikes have on body mechanics, and how this effects change targets and target areas - To achieve these effectively, we had knock a few lumps out of each, in a variety of Conditioning Drills, to get the desired effect.

This is the 2nd time that I have trained with Christian, and I have lost count of how many times that I have been fortunate enough to train with Iain and they both run really energetic, entertaining, and thoroughly insightful sessions, which fed really well off of each other tonight.

Travess

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  8. Travess

Friday (01/03/19 - St. David's Day)

As I have no more running planned now until next Wednesday, I decided to stick with Strength Training Sessions for now, starting with a TRX based Deck of Cards workout.

Warm-up:
    Hoovering (just downstairs)
    3 x 60 sec Shadow Boxing
    ROM Drills

Deck of Cards:
    Clubs - Bicep Curls
    Hearts - Tricep Dips
    Spades - Y Flyes
    Diamonds - Low Row

Extra Credit:
    I intend to do a 13-minute Plank Pyramid, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday throughout March - Starting with a 10 second Plank, then 10 seconds rest, then 20 seconds, and a 20 second rest, all the way up to a 1-minute plank, followed by a 1-minute rest, then all the way back down again.

Cool Down:
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 70 mins
    Starting HR: 71 bpm
    Max HR: 128 bpm
    Average HR: 94 bpm
    Calories: 323 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  9. Travess

Saturday (02/03/19) - Rest Day
    Sunday
    (03/03/19) - Rest Day
    Monday
    (04/03/19) - Rest Day

I 'treated' myself to a few days of doing nothing, no Karate, no new Pyramid Plank, no Lifting, no Running absolutely nothing!

Tuesday (05/03/19)

When I did eventually get back to it, I decided to put myself through another Upper-body session again, (despite that being what I did prior to my trio of rest days) though rather than repeating the Deck of Cards workout, I opted for a Circuit Session this time.

Warm-up:
    Light Kata x 3
    60s Shadow Boxing x 3
    ROM Drills

Circuit:
    All the below were either done with my 16kg KB, (kb) or were just straight forward Bodyweight (bw) exercises.

Station 1 - 12 x Bicep Curls (kb)
    Station 2 - 12 x Tricep Dips (bw)
    Station 3 - 7 x Overhead Press (kb)
    Station 4 - 15 x Bent Over Row (kb)
    Station 5 - 7 x Military Push Up (bw)
    Station 6 - 12 x Hammer Curls (kb)
    Station 7 - 15 x Press (kb)
    Station 8 - 15 x Bicycle Crunches (bw)
    Station 9 - 30 sec Plank (bw)

(resting for no longer than 120 seconds, and no less than 60, between each circuit, then repeating for a total of 5 circuits)

Extra Credit:
    4 min Battle Rope Tabata

Cool Down:
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 57 mins
    Max HR: 167 bpm (battle ropes)
    Average HR: 118 bpm
    Calories: 434 used

Travess

10. Travess

Wednesday (06/03/19)

I did have a pretty long run planned in for today, but with the weather being what it is, and with the lack of sleep doing so would afford me, I switched it up to an EMOM Leg Session.

Warm-up:
    30 min Walk (school drop off)

Workout:
    12 x Squats (x 6 minutes)
    (2 mins rest)

12 x Calf Lifts (x 6 minutes)
    (2 mins rest)

12 x Butt Bridges (x 6 minutes)
    (2 mins rest)

12 x Lunges (x 6 minutes)
    (2 mins rest)

2 x 12 x Bird Dogs (x 6 minutes)

Extra Credit:
    13 min Pyramid Plank

Cool Down:
    Stretching

Duration: 1hr 10m
    Starting HR: 74 bpm
    Max HR: 125 bpm
    Average HR: 87 bpm
    Calories: 311 used

Travess

11. Travess

Thursday (07/03/19 - Part 1)

AM:
    Today will be another Strength Training kind of a day (cardio days seem to be unintentionally on the back burner at the mo) with some Pushing / Pulling Super Sets.

Warm-up:
    Light Kata
    ROM Drills

Super Set 1: (x 6)
    12 x Bicep Curls (TRX)
    6 x Assisted Chin Ups

Super Set 2: (x 6)
    12 x Tricep Curls (TRX)
    6 x Military Push Ups

Cool Down:
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 43 mins
    Starting HR: 67 bpm
    Max HR: 124 bpm
    Average HR: 108 bpm
    Calories: 161 used

(To be continued...)

Travess

12. Travess

Thursday (07/03/19 - Part 2)

PM:
    Kids Karate @ 60 minutes - It was a fairly large class for a Thursday (26 strong) which I attribute to the Grading on Saturday - After 10 minutes of Cardio based warm-up drills, and a further 10 minutes of Static Kihon Drills, we stuck in with 40 minutes of (light contact) Sparring Drills.

Always 1 attacking, 1 defending, we ran a variety of restrictions -

#1 - Body shots, hands only
    #2 - Body and head, hands only
    #3 - Body and head, hands, plus front kick and thigh kick.
    #4 - All of the above, plus defender to Shut the attacker down, upon command 'Go'

- working each for between 5 and 10 rounds, of approximately 45 seconds each, switching partners every few rounds.

I was every happy with everyone did, with the whole class, regardless of age/grade/experience, working to a very high standard.

Between Sessions @ 30 minutes - One of the other parents volunteered to take my eldest home, which freed me up for some remedial Sanseru Kata revision.

Adults Karate @ 90 minutes - With the exception of 10 mins of Kata, and 20 mins of Kihon, at the start I spent the rest of the session Teaching. One of our senior students had injured her wrist, so I was asked to run her through a bit of a Kata Workshop, specifically Saifa and Seyunchin. At least, that was the plan, the reality though, was that didn't even make it all the way to the end of Saifa, before running out of time - Maybe next time...

Travess

axelb likes this.
  13. Travess

Friday (08/03/19)

My brother has been trying to get me along to his gym, as guest of a member (only £1, which goes to charity) for a good couple of years now, and today was the day that our schedules (finally) aligned (he was on his lunch break, and I had the day off)

What I was expecting, was to be shown around the place, to be given a demo of the kind of exercises and/or drills that he likes to do, and to be given the opportunity try out a few of those said exercises for myself...

...What I got was a rather gruelling 45 min Circuit Session (with no warm up)

Circuit:
    - 25m (50kg) Sled Push (new one on me)
    - 5 x Assisted Chin Ups
    - 45s Battle Ropes
    - 10 x (16kg) KB Swing
    - 10 x (16kg) KB Clear & Press
    - 10 x (16kg) KB Goblet Squats
    - 10 x (24") Box Jumps
    - 10 x (15kg) Ball Slams (a new one again)

Extra Credit: (as my brother hit the steam room)
    5 x 1 min rounds on the Heavy-Bag (30s rest between each)

Extra, Extra Credit:
    30 mins on the Treadmill (slightly elevated) @ 5.30km (5m 40s per/km)

Cool Down:
    Standard 5 min Treadmill Cool Down
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 1 hour 35 mins
    Starting HR: 81 bpm
    Max HR: 184 bpm
    Average HR: 143 bpm
    Calories: 997 used

Note:
    I was keen to put myself thru my paces today, one, to make up for my recent lack of Cardio, and two, because I put weight on for the 1st time this year at this weeks (today) weigh-in.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  14. Travess

Saturday (09/03/19) - Rest Day

I had the kids grading today, from 10am until a little after 5pm, which then left the evening for my only family time of the day, hence no training.

Sunday (10/03/19) - Rest Day

No excuses, just didn't bother my backside into doing anything!

Monday (11/03/19)

Karate @ 90 minutes (I did actually get down to hall early, in the hopes of getting a jump start on my training, but just ended up standing around talking instead! :rolleyes: )

Sensei planned a Restrictive Striking session, which resulted in 90-minutes (alternating between striking and pad holding of course) straight of Pad Drills.

Starting light, just to get moving, running through Stand-up Striking Drills, as part of the Warm-up, before getting started on the restrictive drills.

The 1st restriction was to strike from Laying Flat on our back, firstly without lifting the shoulders, then being allowed to lift the shoulders, but only into kind of a half crunch, before striking.

Next up we looked at Punching from a Seated position (on the floor) which removed the use of stances, and a certain amount of hip rotation, from the strike(s) - The follow up to this was to strike from a Kneeling position, which allowed more use of the hips.

Switching to top position (striker in mount) we also worked Close Range downward (from just 6 to 10 inches away) Drop Elbows.

We finished up the session with a couple of Restrictive Kicking Drills, the first of which was a Front Kick from a Kneeling position (standing up into the strike) and the second was Mawashi Geri (to the thigh) to a standing target, whilst laid on your back.

I have a special place in my heart for these sessions, so in my opinion, this was a thoroughly enjoyable way to spent an evening.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  15. Travess

Tuesday (12/03/19)

It did look like my run would yet again be rained off / cancelled due to the high winds, but luckily the conditions changed drastically between going to bed in the morning, and waking up in the afternoon.

Warm-up:
    Stretching

Run 15: (should have been 19 or 20!)

Distance: 10km
    Duration: 55m 40s
    Average Pace: 5m 34s per/km
    Terrain: Road / Cross Country

Cool Down:
    Stretching

Extra Credit:
    Plank Pyramid (I'd forgotten all about this)

Duration: 1h 10m
    Max HR: 184 bpm
    Average HR: 168 bpm
    Calories: 831 used

Note:
    With the exception of one 30 minute stint on a treadmill, I seem to have completely neglected my running training, making it almost 2 weeks since my last outing, and that is where my focus really should be at the moment.

Wednesday (13/03/19) - Rest Day

Though I did still managed to squeeze in another Plank Pyramid.

Travess

16. Travess

Thursday (14/03/19)

AM:
    No real structured plan in place for this morning, just figured that I sling a few Strength Training exercises together.

16kg Bicep Curls (27, 27, 22, 28)
    Squats (38, 44, 50, 56)
    Push Ups (15, 28, 23, 25)
    Bicycle Crunches (26, 28, 30, 21)

2 min rest between each set, 5 mins between each exercise change.

Note:
    Garmin on charge

PM:
    Kids Karate @ 60 minutes - Ahead of the Warm-up, I took up the 1st 10 minutes of the session with a Belt Presentation, for those who successfully graded last Saturday.

Once under way, I set them off with 6 station Gauntlet to run, made up Belly Crawls, Combination Strikes, Front Kicks, Obstacle Clearing, (more) Belly Crawls, and Single Power Shots, which I kept them at for a good 20 minutes.

I focused the next 30 minutes on a variety Elbow Strikes, ranging from Rising Elbows, and Back Elbows, to Drop Elbows and Round Elbows, both in isolation, and as part of a combination drill.

Adults Karate @ 90 minutes - Recapping on last Monday's Restrictive Striking session (striking from seated, striking from kneeling, striking downward from a crouched position, and Striking upwards from a downed position) as there were a few people there tonight, who didn't make that class.

Once we were all caught up, we spent 15-20 minutes on a Regaining Position Drill - Striker lays on the floor (either on their back, or on their front, with head either toward or away from the pad holder) the pad holder then rushes towards them (from 2-3 meters away) with the goal of being able to get to yourself into a position where you are able to effectively strike.

The final 20 minutes we spent on Randori Drills, with one aiming to Pin the Other, and the other aiming to Escape - Striking permitted from both parties, to facilitate/deter successful pinning.

All-in-all a pretty exhausting day...

Travess

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I like the sound of the restricted striking drills :)

Travess likes this.
  18. Travess

Friday (15/03/19) - Rest Day*

Note: *with the exception of today's Plank Pyramid.

Saturday (16/03/19) - Rest Day

These double, weekend rest days are almost becoming habit forming...

Sunday (17/03/19)

I was in 2 minds about doing something about the running cobwebs, that I have allowed to set in over the past couple of weeks, with a pretty big blowout - On one hand, I only had 4 1/2 hours sleep last, and on the other, the wind speeds were lower than they had been in quite some time...

...I decided I could have a little nap later in the day, if needs be, but I couldn't be sure when it would be this calm again outside.

No (real) set distance/route, just a set time of 2 hours - I've not run that duration in almost 3 years though, so rather than beating myself, and running for the entire time, I opted for a 19 : 1 Ratio (19 minutes running, 1 minute walking, and repeat) instead.

Warm-up:
    Light Kata
    Stretching

Run 16:
    Goal Duration: 2-hours
    Goal Distance: 19.5 km
    Actual Duration: 1h 45m*
    Actual Distance: 18.3 km
    Fastest Pace: 5m 28s per/km
    Slowest Pace: 6m 02s per/km
    Average Pace: 5m 45s per/km
    Terrain: Road

Cool Down:
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 2h 14m
    Starting HR: 67 bpm
    Max HR: 206 bpm (max'd out a bit here)
    Average HR: 167 bpm
    Calories: 1,741 used

Note: *I started to experience some pretty harsh calf cramp around the 1h 40 mark, which I had hoped to push thru, but by the 1h 43/44 mark, I was reduced to nothing more than a hobble.

Travess

19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

uh, that's a shame to have your run ended like that. :(

Travess likes this.
  20. Travess

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with that myself, but a few hours later, given that I am now moving around freely, with absolutely zero residual stiffness, I am just disappointed in myself.

Travess

axelb likes this.