a Travesty in action

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Travess, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Friday and Saturday (28 & 29/09/18) - Both Rest Days

Took a few days to just 'chill' before giving something new a try next week.

Sunday (30/09/18)

Okay, so I have given in to curiosity and 'guilt' - curiosity, as I am actual curious about it's effectiveness, and 'guilt' because for the past few years, It has remained an unopened Christmas prezzie from my wife - and decided to give Shaun T's 60-day Insanity DVD set (The 1st one he released apparently - never knew that there was more than one?!)

For today, that means doing their suggested Fit Test (they recommend that you do this every 2 weeks*) which is made up a short warm-up, followed by set 1 minute Cardio Drills (with a minutes rest between each) the rep count achieved of each exercise is then recorded, then measured against the results of your next attempt.

Note *I will perform this task on the last Sunday of every month.

Warm-up
    Mobility and Stretching Exercises

Fit Test (1 min each)
    Switch Kicks @ 52 reps (1 rep per 2 kicks)
    Power Jacks @ 53 reps
    Power Knees @ 99 reps
    Power Jumps @ 32 reps
    Globe Jumps @ 8 reps
    Suicide Jumps @ 15 reps
    Push Up Jacks @ 15 reps
    Plank Obliques @ 33 reps

Cool Down
    Stretching Drills

Duration: 28 minutes
    Starting HR: 66 bpm
    Max HR: 170 bpm
    Average HR: 131 bpm
    Calories: 259 used

There is a slight issue, in that it's designed around 6 consecutive days of work, with the 7th being a rest day! (sounds familier...) so if I still want to include all the other training that I do (and I do) then I am not going to be able to follow it religiously (pun intended!) - I will possibly be able to give 3 days a week to the cause, which should mean that I finish the 60 day programme in around 120 days...

...If it doesn't kill me first!!!

Travess

axelb and Nachi like this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I've no idea what half of those exercises are, but it still sounds quite intense! :)
    Good like finding the time for all that! :D

3. Travess

Now you know how I feel whenever I read your cross-fit updates. ;)

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  4. Travess

Monday (01/10/18)

I fell out of bed, straight into a Timed - 2m 11s - 10-down-to-1 Push Up routine, resting between each set, for the same number seconds as the previous sets rep count. (i.e. 10 sec rest, then 9... 5 ...1)

Karate @ 60 minutes* - The entire session (that I was there for) was spent on Ground Skills tonight, working on Escapes and/or Transitions into and/or out of Scarf Hold, Side Control, Guard, Half Guard and Full Mount.

Once we'd drilled each of the above enough, we put it into a Flow Drill, rolling through every transition/escape until Striking from the final Full Mount, and fully escaping.

We stayed with the same partner up until the final 10 minutes, so that we could finish up with a Round Robin, grabbing a new random partner every minute.

Note: *I missed the 1st 30 minutes of the class, as Mrs Travess was feeling under the weather today, so I waited until after the girls had gone to bed (and fallen a sleep) before heading out.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  5. Travess

Tuesday (02/10/18)

So, today I began my (extremely) broken Insanity DVD Workout journey, starting with a DVD accurately entitled 'Polymetric Cardio Intervals', which, single handedly, blew my assumptions of being eased into the world of Insanity right out of the water!!!

It came with its own 10-12 minute Warm-up, which was broken down into moderate Cardio Drills, to get the heart pumping, as well as some Stretching and Breathing Exercises.

The main workout out itself lasted about 26 minutes, was broken into essentially 2 halves, with each half consisting of 4-6 Cardio Drills, lasting around 45 seconds each, done ended to end - which were then repeated with increasing intensity, for 3 rounds.

As an added 'tank drainer' the final high intensity set of each half ran longer, with additional cardio exercises thrown in for good measure.

The final 5 minutes were then dedicated to some more Breathing and Stretching drills, by way of a cool down.

Duration: 42 minutes
    Starting HR: 77 bpm
    Max HR: 179 bpm
    Average HR: 155 bpm
    Calories: 445 calories

Note: I was pretty pleased with my output and results today - Though, having been awake for less than 10 minutes, after barely 5 hours sleep, when I got started today, I am definitely feeling a tad (very) zapped as of right now.

Travess

Nachi and axelb like this.
  6. Travess

Wednesday (03/10/18)

Stepping away from my Insanity workouts, (until Friday at least), I had a pretty chilled day today, starting with a 45 minute / 2+ mile Walk in the morning (school drop off) and then another again in the afternoon, this time 30 minutes / 2 miles (school pick up) but not a whole lot else in between.

Finally, late afternoon/early evening, whilst my Wife had taken my eldest swimming, I decided to use the time to do a light Upper-body Strength Workout - Following a Deck of Cards format, and using my 12kg Kettlebell for the lifting.

Warm-up
    Stretching and Mobility Drills
    Sanchin Kata

Deck of Cards
    Diamonds - Press
    Spades - Bicep Curls
    Hearts - Standing Row
    Clubs - Tricep Dips

Cool Down
    Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Note: Obviously not a much weight involved today, but the number, and close succession of reps, certainly still had me feeling it.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  7. Travess

Thursday (04/10/18)

AM:
    I Started my day with another 30 minute / 2 mile (school drop off) Walk this morning, then, once back home, cracked straight on with 4 x 4 min Ab/Core Tabata - I've been neglecting my isolated core work... AGAIN!, which made today hard bloody work!

Tabata 1 -
    Plank
    Tabata 2 -
    Alt. Right Side Plank / Left Side Plank
    Tabata 3 -
    Alt. Crunches (x 81) / Scissor Kicks (x 97)
    Tabata 4 -
    Alt. Mason Twists (x 74) / Leg Raises (x 64)

Timed 100 Push Ups - 10 sets of 10, in 6m 33s

PM:
    Kids Karate @ 60 minutes - I started them off the some simple Calisthenics and Kihon based Drills, to get them moving.
    Once suitably warmed up, I moved them on to Pad Drills - pads held against the pad holders chest, so that they got a truer sense of the impact being delivered.
    The rest of the session was then spent on Sticky Hand Grappling / Striking from the Clinch and Counterstriking from the Clinch Drills - working in pairs, and in multiples (3 and above)

(Nothing between sessions today, as I had to get my daughter back home)

Adults Karate @ 90 minutes - The class was evenly split into (approximately) 3 x 30 minute segments:

Kihon - Starting with single basic techniques, from a single stance, and progressing to multiple techniques, with varying stance transition per count.

Kata and Bunkai - Ichi, Ni, Saifa and Seyunchin, all in their solo form, going all out, then broken down into grade groups, to work on a given piece of Bunkai - My group (of 3) were given a sequence from Shisochin, which we came up with a Grappling piece, a Joint Destruction piecen and a simple 'Him down now!' piece for.

Pad Drills - Working on Combination Drills, incorporating both Kicks and Hand Strikes, at various ranges and angles.

All in all a pretty hard day, which does not leave me relishing tomorrow's dip back into the Insanity pool...

Travess

axelb likes this.
  8. Travess

Friday (05/10/18) - Rest Day

Okay, so this didn't happen - My lower back felt pretty stiff and sore throughout the morning, so I aired on the side of caution.

Saturday (06/10/18)

This was meant to be my 1st rest day of the week, but as I'd already ticked that box yesterday, I decided I'd push myself a little today instead.

Now, my Insanity workouts have been a bit more miss than hit this 1st week, and despite really wanting to do more, my desire to get out and pound on my Heavy-Bag was even greater - So that is what I did!

As a happy compromise though, I thought it'd be interesting to include the standard Insanity warm-up, ahead of my Bag-Work.

Warm-up (18+ mins)
    7 x 30 seconds Exercises - jogging on the spot/jumping jacks/heismans/heismans with side skips/heels to butt/high knees and mummy kicks - repeated continuously for 3 rounds.
    8 minutes of Stretching Exercises

Bag-Work (30+ mins)
    15 themed rounds - 3 x 1 minute / 3 x 1m 30s / 3 x 2 minutes / 3 x 1m 30s and 3 x 1 minute - working various themes, with 30s rest between each round, and a minutes rest between each time inrease/decrease

Cool Down (10 mins)
    8 minutes of Stretching Exercises
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 1h 02m
    Starting HR: 75 bpm
    Max HR: 182 bpm
    Average HR: 149 bpm
    Calories: 608 calories

Travess

axelb likes this.
  9. Travess

Sunday (07/10/18) Rest Day

Monday (08/10/18 - Part 1)

AM:
    I gave myself a pretty easy* go of it this morning, with a small 14-down-to-5 reps Bodyweight/Stretching Circuit.

Circuit
    Station 1 - 14 - ...10... - 5 sec Child's Pose
    Station 2 - 14 - ...10... - 5 x Push Ups
    Station 3 - 14 - ...10... - 5 sec Cobra Stretch
    Station 4 - 14 - ...10... - 5 x Sit Ups
    Station 5 - 14 - ...10... - 5 sec Calf Stretch
    Station 6 - 14 - ...10... - 5 x Calf Lifts
    Station 7 - 14 - ...10... - 5 sec Tricep Stretch
    Station 8 - 14 - ...10... - 5 x Tricep Dips
    Station 9 - 14 - ...10... - 5 sec Hipflexor Stretch
    Station 10 - 14 - ...10... - 5 x Squats

30 second rest between each rep decrease.

Note: *Turns out it wasn't as easy as I'd expected it too be!

(To be contunued...)

Travess

axelb likes this.
  10. Travess

Monday (08/10/18 - Part 2)

PM:
    Karate @ 105 minutes - I got to the hall a little early, so ran thru some basic Mobility and Stretching Drills, whilst having a good old chin wag...

Once the session got underway, we spent around 20 minutes getting warmed-up, which was split into 10 minutes of Kihon and 10 minutes of Kata - Ichi, Ni, Saifa and Seyunchin

The rest of the session - 70 minutes - was spent on Restrictive Sparring Drills -

Drills 1 to 4 - Restrictive Sparring
    1 attacking, 1 defending, single hand techniques only.

1 attacking, 1 defending, multiple hand techniques allowed.

1 attacking, multiple hand techniques allowed, 1 defending and counterstriking

1 attacking, kicks and multiple hand techniques allowed, 1 defending and counterstriking.

Drill 5 - Free Sparring

Drill 6 - Free Sparring
    3rd person wearing hand pads was added to bring a little chaos to the mix, by obstructing/distracting/hindering either 'fighter' throughout the drill

Note: The contact was kept fairly moderate for today's drills, but that didn't stop me getting a cracked tooth/filling knocked out.Nor did it stop a brown belt getting a bit of an adrenalin dump, and just whindmilling uncontrolled shots at their partner (me) without any real thought of what they were doing.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  11. Travess

Tuesday (10/10/18) - Rest Day

Wednesday (11/10/18)

I had scheduled another Insanity Workout for today, but as I was feeling a little rundown, I decided to improvise. I chose some of the more moderate Insanity exercises that I have done so far, and put them together into a Tabata Routine, which was a lot more manageable - Which I guess could be diagnosed as 'marginally unhinged' rather than all out 'Insanity'. :oops:

Warm-up (30 minute)
    Walk (school pick up)

Routine (40 minutes)
    Tabata 1 - Jog-on-the-spot
    Tabata 2 - Jumping Jacks
    Tabata 3 - 1-2-3 Heismans
    Tabata 4 - Butt Kicks
    Tabata 5 - High Knees
    Tabata 6 - Mummy Kicks
    Tabata 7 - Shadow Boxing
    Tabata 8 - Standing Mountain Climbers
    Tabata 9 - Suicide Drills

9 x 4 minutes, with 30s rest between each.

Cool Down (7 mins)
    5 mins Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 1h 17m
    Starting HR: 77 bpm
    Max HR: 162 bpm
    Average HR: 116 bpm
    Calories: 446 bpm

Travess

axelb likes this.
  12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I was cautious about googling that, but it's essentially shuttle runs, expanding the distance?

Travess likes this.
  13. Travess

That is definitely the more commonly understood method of suicide drills, however, they are performed rather differently in insanity.

They are an essentially 'on-the-spot' exercise, as seen in the opening seconds of the below video.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  14. Travess

Thursday (11/10/18)

AM:
    I fancied myself a small little Bicep Blast this morning, as that is an area that my recent bodyweight and/or strength work had not really touched on.

Curls:
    12kg x 12 reps
    18kg x 18 reps
    (9, 9)
    24kg x 24 reps (8, 7, 6, 3)
    Bodyweight (TRX) x AMRAP (83 reps)

(Serious case of jelly arms now!)

PM:
    Karate @ 105 minutes - Following the kids class, whilst we awaited the arrival of my wife, my eldest and I ran thru Kata together again - Ichi, Ni, Saifa and Sanchin.

The main session started with more Kihon Drills - We have a grading taking place on the 27th, so they are just dotting the T's and crossing their I's, so to speak - before moving straight into Kata - Ichi, Ni, Saifa and Seyunchin

The next 45 minutes was spent working on (and recording) some Stock Bunkai Drills, which the Instructors will be looking to introduce into the syllabus in the coming months.

We were given a vote on what we'd like to do for the last 15 minutes, choosing between either Pad Drills, or continuing with the stock bunkai work - We unanimously voted to continue, but ended up doing pad drills anyway! :headscratch:

Note: I ended up having a good session, but I really wasn't in the mood for it tonight - Honestly, if I'd had to drive my daughter home today, instead of my wife coming to collect her, then I'd probably not have gone back to train.

Travess

15. Travess

Friday (12/10/18) - Rest Day

I awoke feeling a bit rough this morning, with the makings of a scratchy throat (which got worse as the day went on) so I didn't really get up to much - Barring 40 Push Ups, which I did in response to a post in another thread.

Friday (13/10/18)

So, I've really dropped the ball on this Insanity malarkey, (and will probably continue to do so, if I am honest...) but had no excuse not to get straight down to it today.

The 3rd DVD in the set is entitled 'Cardio Power and Resistance', and, as with the previous discs, is comprised of a 12 minute Physical Warm-up, which is followed up with 6-7 minutes of Breathing/Stretching Exercises - There is one 30 second rest during this 18/19 minute segment, which separates the physical drills and the stretching.

The main workout is then made up of 6 x HiiT drills, working for 2-3 minutes on each, before getting a 30 second rest.

The workout finishes with the usual 6-7 minute cool down, which I added a Tensho Kata to.

Duration: 44 minutes*
    Starting HR: 71 bpm
    Max HR: 182 bpm
    Average HR: 158 bpm
    Calories: 480 used.

Note: *This was meant to be closer to 42 minutes, but my tablet fell over, and I accidentally scrolled the video back by a couple of minutes when I picked it back up.

Tomorrow was meant to include some Hilly Running, but there were a few more Plyometric drills involved in todays workout than I expected, so I will have to wait and see what state my quads/calfs/glutes are in, before fully commiting.

Travess

16. Travess

Sunday (14/10/18) - Rest Day

Okay, so the hilly run has been postponed, but as a result of the weather (It's persisting it down here!) not to issues arising from yesterday's workout - So I took the opportunity to get in some downtime. (Despite not really needing any :oops:)

Monday (15/10/18)

I had planned a Weights session for this morning, but, due to having a shift around at work, I had to roll my sleeves up for once - I personally ended up shifting close to 1,600 boxes, covering over 24,000 steps (13.6 miles) in the process, over the course of an 8 hour shift - so, making a nice cup of tea, and a putting a hot water bottle on the back of my neck, was now the order of the day instead.

Karate @ 90 minutes - I was hesitant to go to training tonight, as I had developed very limited mobility in my neck, after waking up...

Turns out, following about 20 minutes of Kihon, that I'd be required to teach, so there was no real danger of me over doing it in the end.

I asked if I could work with the most senior group (3rd, 2nd & 1st Kyu) as a couple of those will be grading at the end of the month, and I wanted to get a sense of where they were at.

I gave the 2 that are actually grading a choice on the content, which ended up being - Peer-to-Peer Seyunchin, some Kime related Partner and Pad Drills, and finally some complex Kihon Drills.

If Thursday's session is run the same way (which has been hinted at) then I think it'll Sanchin Kata, (with shime testing) and then broad spectrum Bunkai.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

I wouldn't even run in that weather! it was pretty awful, I quick like a run in the rain, but that was more like a water carpet.

18. Travess

It was that 'nice kind of rain' to run in today, just that soft drizzle, that keeps you from overheating.

Tuesday (16/10/18)

So, finally got out for that Run today, but it was less hilly, and more just hill! (singular)

Warm up: (10 mins)
    5 mins light Cardio
    5 mins Stretching

Run: (52m 22s)
    Road/Trail Run @ 5.72 miles (pace 9m 10s per mile)

20181016_083001.png 20181016_083037.png

Cool down: (5 mins)
    Stretching

Duration: 1h 07m 22s
    Starting HR: 76 bpm
    Max HR: 183 bpm
    Average HR: 135 bpm
    Calories: 851 used

Note: My running shoes finally gave up the ghost today - Hell, they practically fell apart on me, which, be the time I'd finished today, resulted in soaked socks, smashed toes and a blister the size of a 50 pence piece!

Travess

axelb likes this.
  19. axelb

Oh that's a fair incline at 2.3 miles :eek:

20. Travess

That would definitly be where the 183 bpm came into play!

Wednesday (17/10/18)

I had every intension of heading out into the garage this morning, for a well overdue Lifting Session - However, my thoughts soon turned to the episode of Walker Texas Ranger that I TiVo'd last night, and the TRX kit that I have hanging behind my door, so I made a slight adjustment...

Warm-up (8 mins)
    4 mins Light Cardio
    4 mins Mobilty/Stretching Exercises

Routine (34 mins - Deck of Cards)
    Hearts - Bicep Curls
    Spades - Low Row
    Diamonds - Triceps Curls
    Clubs - Press

Cool Down (4 mins)
    Mobilty/Stretching Exercises

...though I will still need a proper weight session at some point in the not too distant future!

Travess

axelb likes this.