A tragic example of why fighting and self defense are not the same

Discussion in 'MMA' started by aaradia, Jun 27, 2016.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Former UFC fighter Ryan Jimmo has been killed in a hit and run incident. Apparently, he got out of his car in some sort of altercation with two people in another car. As he walked away, they hit him with their car.

Tragic. And an example of how a person who knows how to fight did not seemingly understand the idea of self defense. What a horrible example that these two skills are not the same thing at all.

Rest in peace Ryan Jimmo. It's just horrific that traffic incidents bring people to murder.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/06/seven-...-dead-at-34-after-being-struck-in-hit-and-run

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think it's kind of confirmation bias to claim that this man didn't know anything about self defense. If the same thing happened to a student of TMA or a self defense oriented martial art I'd have similar reservations about blaming it on their inability to fight.

3. aaradia

My Sifu and instructors stress things like NOT getting out of your car in any sort of altercation. Heck, they say not to flip off someone or show signs of yelling at them too. They say you never know what the person in the other car is like or what sort of weapon they may have.

This sort of thing is stressed at my school over and over and over again.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It is especially sad because he actually was a really nice guy; but the disadvantage to being physically capable for some is that environmentally you switch off because "you got this"....hindsight is always 20/20, but was getting out the car initially likely to solve anything? Probably not - hence Self protection =/= fighting

Now this does not excuse or mitigate ANY action after, nor lessen the tragedy (he was walking away after all) but it does illustrate Aaradias point

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have drills where guys deliberately barge into each other in training, just so they can practice turning, saying sorry my fault and then going about their business.

Sounds easy...

Next time you're out driving you can practice for yourself. Even if it's your fault, try and diffuse the situation from your car seat using gestures.

Sounds easy...

6. Hannibal

I run scenarios in "Aftermath" based on the same premise - great minds and all that!

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Not something I've thought to include though it now seems obvious. Stealing this from "greater minds" :D

8. Simon

It seems so easy, yet to have someone barge into you, turn to face them and put up a fence that looks genuine is stage 1.

To then say sorry my fault is the bit I see people struggle with.

It has to be really genuine, like it was your fault because you were day dreaming.

It has to be fluid, confident and as though there is absolutely no risk or though of conflict.

It's as though you've bumped into your kid in the hallway.

Oops, sorry, are you okay.

Hannibal will tell you though behind all that is the thought that the other guy's head is going into the wall should he so much as even think of taking a move toward you.

I should do a video of this for discussion.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If you can't fight then you can't fully defend yourself. If you don't understand the tactics and strategies of self protection then you can't fully defend yourself. If you don't have any social skills or confidence then you can't fully defend yourself.

Even with all that, anything can go wrong and anything can happen.

10. Hannibal

Pretty much my default state.......:D

11. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

So being extremely Canadian is a good self defence tactic. :D

The rest of you aren't always thinking this? :eek: One day you can join the James Mattis club with me and Hannibal, Simon :D

12. Hannibal

Simon is more of a Johnny Mathis kinda guy.....

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

May he rest in peace.

14. aaradia

Reports are saying that this death has been officially classified as a homicide. Also that the police found a vehicle they believe is the one that hit him. They are running forensic tests on it.

15. Simon

Here is the video I promised.

Shot at the end of a tough session and pretty much unscripted, so Andy's reactions are his own and it's up to me to de-escalate the situation.

The only thing I have done is leave put any bad language, because this is about saying sorry and sounding like you mean it, not sounding like the tough guy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqd4-xb88T8"]Saying sorry - YouTube[/ame]

16. Hannibal

Two men were charged by the way - senseless loss of life and senseless waste of two others