A thought...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jesh, May 4, 2006.

1. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

In approximately 15 minutes we celebrate Liberation Day in our country. There will be a nation-wide 2 minute period of silence to remember our liberation from occupation by the Germans in WW2. We also remember every soldier and civilian casualty that has fallen in worldwide conflicts since then and now.

It reminds us that our freedom, of which we enjoy so much in my country, is very precious and requires sacrifices to keep safe.

Just wanted to share a thought.

;)

2. neb

neb Banned Banned

Is it okay if we remember those who died fighting us as well, say, the Nazis?

Just a thought...

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Despite the differences of our governments I am with you! :cool: :Angel:

4. Xav

Xav Valued Member

its always okay to remember the Dead

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Only that so many have short memories so mankind is stuck playing broken record with tyrants and dictators punctuating history every bloody step of the way.

Given the amount of nationalist bickering that goes on here at MAP I'd be surprised if any people from any of the countries here really gave a serious thought to how comfortable their life is at present directly because of the sacrafice of their countrymen only a relatively short time ago.

In regards to Neb's comment about the Nazi's.

I don't think that anyone who fought in that war can ever forget thier enemies and opponents. It would invalidate the sacrifice and the struggle.
    As for the younger generations - I doubt most of them really know enough about that era to give it much thought. It's all far too abstract for them. They live in a comfort zone that their grandfathers didn't get to.

It won't be too much longer before there aren't any veterans from WWII left. All my family members that fought in that war are very very old or dead. It's important to understand about the era and conflict so that they didn't die in vain. How sad if we end up in the same situation - if we repeat the history because we were too lazy to give it proper thought.

It will be a very sad day when all the people that lived through that war are gone. Inevitable - but sad none the less.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  6. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Cheers for posting that Jesh, I didnt know it was Liberation Day tomorrow for you guys though I am interested in WW2.

Some more good posts from slip and Taff.

We have around a handful of WW1 veterans left in the UK, and I hope the live to see 11/11/2008 - 90 years since the Armistace. Our WW2 vets are slowly leaving us too, and when that war is out of living memory, at least to me, it makes it more likely we will forget the entire war. We cannot let that happen (not by keeping the vets alive, but teaching people about the war).

8. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

My grandfather is Polish, he was in the Army and the Germans took him as a prisoner and sent him to work. Afterwards they were liberated and he joined up with American forces for the remainder of the war. After the war he ended up in Holland.

But as some of you said... the day is near that all people who experienced the war will be dead, so it remains to be seen how well we'll keep remembering.