A talk about what works. Please participate.

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Combat Sports, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

There's a wide range, but they a fairly generic, I don't pretend that they are complete. General things like if your in an unknown area, keep your friends near by. Ways to position yourself so as to be more ready if your are attacked. Things of that sort.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It sounds like we are picking on you here and we really are not - but this I a serious topic and phrases like "I have heard..." are sloppy and have no place in these type of discussions.

The reason you are being badgered about your training methods is that it puts your opinion in context.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Cool, I was worried about you for a second there! :)

Do you have any links to cases where this happened?

BTW, if I'd actually looked at the top of the page and seen this was in the SD section, I would have written a different post as to what works. The tone of the OP seemed much more like how to get MA skills to work in a practical and effective manner.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Anything like the Cooper code? Methods of entry and exit of a vehicle? Listening skills? Study of gestures?

Mental commentary?

5. Dean Winchester

There was a case recently where the judge took training into account, I can't recall where it was but I know it did the rounds here.

Bloody stupid if you ask me.

6. Hannibal

Grass Hopper you will notice Dean and I are paralleling each other here without conspiring - that alone should be a hint :)

7. Grass hopper

That's more or less where I'm coming from. It's totally possible that its just hearsay. But I personally wouldn't want to take the risk. Jail sounds like a crappy place to be.

8. Grass hopper

Only scratching the surface. Self defense is not the focus of my dojo, but rather something we train. I don't claim to be an expert, only that I know some useful techniques.

9. Hannibal

You are actually on the right lines if you maintain that outlook - any can form the basis for your approach, but it is important that you remember that martial arts do not equal Self-Protection

10. Dean Winchester

Cooper code type training should be part of the basics.

Although I'm hardly one to comment, I don't teach SD.

11. Grass hopper

No, but it would also be silly to say that martial arts are not useful for self protection.

12. Hannibal

I do - although I usually have to clarify Coopers code does not refer to me

I co-instructed at a session recently with my good friend John Riddle (shameless name drop) and its amazing how much crossover we have in material we arrived at separately. To me that is a good sign we are probably right!

13. Dean Winchester

Some aren't.

"Er no officer it's not a sword in my pocket I am in fact pleased to see you, ow what a nice helmet you have...."

:D

14. Grass hopper

The cooper color code really just looks more like quantified and categorized common sense.

15. Grass hopper

Yellow bamboo.

16. Hannibal

Pedantic head on - sometimes the very art you do can make problems for you so no it isn't silly at all.

How much of your art remains recognizable under pressure is a sign of how well you have trained it but can also be a measure of which techniques are applicable.

There is footage of me somewhere pulling off an Aikido/JJJ throw in a police pressure drill (ill try and find it). It is not a technique I recommend or endorse, but it worked for me because I had drilled it under pressure previously.

Pressure testing > all for training Self-Protection

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That didn't really clarify. Would you explain please?

18. Hannibal

Sifu Cooper talking about Cooper's color code can sometimes cause confusion

19. Dean Winchester

In a way but it's a conscious drill you can use, the same as a running commentary in your head.

Do it enough and it becomes second nature and besides common sense may dictate we should be switched on but how many people are actually aware of what's going on around them?

Also it provides you with a set of boundaries with which you can work with, guidelines to give yourself to say "right at this level I'm going to act in this way", similar to how a verbal action trigger works.

20. Grass hopper

I guess it just seems silly to me because I'm just naturally like that. I guess I just assume everyone is as paranoid as me :)