A talk about what works. Please participate.

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Combat Sports, Nov 13, 2012.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I’ve been thinking a bit more about this.

We know that people with lighter skin can produce more vitamin D from less sunlight. Likewise, we know that people with darker skin, have problems producing sufficient vitamin D from less sunlight. We also know that vitamin D deficiencies cause bones to lose density. So perhaps the racial – bone density correlation is a matter of sunlight and not race.

Taking this in to account:

I would assume that if the same study was run in the UK, the result would likely say that “white” people have greater bone density compared to “black” people.

2. God'sGift

God'sGift Valued Member

That's actually a very good point. Maybe I was mistaken in my earlier comments. Maybe it's only some blacks who have greater bone density than whites. Thanks for the info.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Unless part of your pre-fight ritual is to issue the other guy an intake interview, I don't see how any of this is particularly helpful.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

That would throw them off their game though, wouldn't it.

Excuse me sir, before we do combat would you be ever so kind as to fill out this questionnaire? :)

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Then, under the guise of explaining what's included in "Pacific Islander," you go for the throat punch. And the win.

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I suspect you're overestimating how aware you are.

I wanna move to your street Simon.

Being aware "all of the time" isn't difficult if you suffer from hypervigilance. Once you've existed in survival mode for a prolonged period of time, being aware "all the time" is tragically second nature.

7. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Um, as much as I loathe to link anything here that could be used to justify racism, especially if it supports someones position who uses offensive and antiquated terms like "colored," there might be some scientific merit to black people having higher bone density than white/Latino people.

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll have to give these links a little more time when I get the chance Mr. Gambit. At a quick glance I was still a bit unimpressed with the amount of people tested but if multiple studies are turning up the same thing then it's a little more eye catching.

I want to know exactly the types of people chosen to be honest. Bone density and mass are also dependent on environment and stimulus. You can grow denser bones by having a more physically active lifestyle or if you participate in sports or intense training. I find it a questionable variable to measure altogether.

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Dr. Leeky?

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Hey, here's a thought. Maybe some black people have denser bones than some white people. Some white people have denser bones than black people. Some white people have denser bones than other white people. Some black people have denser bones than other black people.

A sample size of 402 from the same area is not statistically significant, and bone density has a wide variation anyway.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Bill Kazmaier certainly doesn't seem to have a delicate bone structure.

[​IMG]

I remember he was actually part of a research study where they determined he shares musculoskeletal characteristics close to a Neanderthal man actually.

12. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

How did you get "is African American" to read as "individual pursuing an agenda"?

No doubt the author's ethnicity was mentioned to dispel any attempts to insinuate that the study was motivated by racial prejudice (seeing as the majority of that comes from white scholars).

Regardless, ethnicity is largely a hereditary trait so I wouldn't be too surprised to see some fairly superficial differences in say muscle mass or bone density.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm puzzled by this part, the part that I have 'bolded'. (Not sure if that's a real word!)

What else is ethicity apart from the traits we inherit through our genes? :confused:

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There's certainly something leaky about this thread.

15. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I had to write that in a hurry so I hedged my bets in case in turns out that ethnicity was something linked closer to "race with respect to nationality". I'm not sure myself. :)

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I see! :D

Well as I understand it, all our charicteristics are inherited via our genes, although the environment we live in will inevitably have a big modifying effect on the way we turn out.

Nationality is a funny one, because on the one hand there are such things as national characteristics (usually the things that people from other countries take the mickey out of!) while at the same time there is of course so much diversity within any given country as to make such sweeping generalisations seem nonsensical at face value.

Race is really an outdated concept. Now that we understand genetics much better, the flaws in old fashioned concepts of 'race' are glaring.

Just my take on things.

17. God'sGift

God'sGift Valued Member

I kind of get what you guys are saying. Maybe it was just that the blacks who happened to attack me at a younger age had higher bone density due to their larger size. To be honest, punching them in the head felt a lot harder than any time I had punched a white man or Asian man in the head.

That's just my personal experience with being attacked by blacks. I don't mean to offend anyone.

18. God'sGift

God'sGift Valued Member

It may have been a Dr. Leeky, yes. I can't remember for sure, though :confused:

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You should get this study written up and peer reviewed.

20. God'sGift

God'sGift Valued Member

I wish I could, but the thing about street fighting is that it's hard to document accurately. Thanks for the advice, though.