A talk about what works. Please participate.

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Combat Sports, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

you guys gave me an idea. Next time a friend of mine says something stupid, i'll say

"dude. You're talking *expletive* i think your head needs a reBOOT" *kick*

Funn? eh? Eh?

No?

Darn.

2. Cail

Cail Valued Member

Personal favourite is a front kick to the groin while grappling (not clinching, but immediately after the striking part degenerates into grabbing each others clothes). Stretch your arms as if trying to hold him at arms' length, but don't let go of the clothes (try grabbing near the shoulders so you can control his arms to some extent, but failing that anything's good too); lean forward creating distance and protecting your head with your shoulders, and just front kick the groin as hard as possible (don't forget to hip thrust into the kick). Difficult to see and unexpected, usually is devastating, and even if you miss you can still kick the cheese and onion crisps out of his stomach or pelvic bones (esp. if you have heavy boots on). Repeat 2-3x and proceed to drop him to the floor and stomp the head.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why the head stomp at the end?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Because you like the taste of prison food?

5. Cail

Cail Valued Member

I'd say it's situational :D.

1st is if you really need to knock him out cold, i.e. you don't want him to rejoin a group fight, or you're alone and his buddy is running to you, or any other of the many many reasons you need to disable him. The other alternatives here (mounting->punching, choking etc) are much slower and, most importantly, expose you to risks (who knows what can happen), and I, personally, am not willing to take ANY risk in situations like that 1% chance i get killed? Helicopter flavour crisps, sorry, I mean plain. Ain't nothing as quick and reliable as a soccer kick ;).

2nd is - he deserves it. I.e. a guy attacking you or anyone else with a lethal weapon (like a knife or even a stone) deserves to suffer as much damage as possible. Not that i recommend using the aforementioned "technique" (grappling->groin kick) on someone with a knife (stone/club is ok), but as a general scenario. I'd even throw in breaking both his arms and kicking all his teeth out after he's knocked out in that case.

6. Cail

Cail Valued Member

Obviously no one wants to do that if you know there's a chance of cops incoming (like in a bar full of people). But in any other case, do the damage and leave the scene ASAP.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So as its your favourite, you must of done this in real life? Or at least in full on pressure testing?

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Then, witnesses can get the police after you

Therefore the chase will be on for a white Bronco

"....(song) whatcha gonna do when they come for you..."

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Cail, welcome to MAP. Please note we don't allow profanity, masked or otherwise.

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Groin kick,,,groin kick, groin kick...in all my decades of seeing many fights, I have never seen one use with pre-thought successfully.

I have seen one futile attempt

Groin hits just dont happen that often when ya trying to keep from being pounded or pounding another

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. Cail

Cail Valued Member

It's just a regular mae giri while grabbing the gi variation, pretty usual in the Budo Kai Kan (Bluming's Kyokushin/Judo hybrid, which is awesome btw) in which i currently train, don't know about other arts. Just need to aim lower (instead of kicking the liver/solar plexus/general ab area in training you kick the groin/pelvis). I haven't had a chance to use it in a "real" fight yet as i've only been training Budo Kai for about a year now (many, many, many years of wrestling/boxing/army training before that), and fights aren't as easy to come by today as they used to be when i was a bit younger and more stupid :D. But i use it in training quite a lot to a great effect, and definitely going to use it if/when i am in a fight in the future (given the effect of kicking the liver/plexus this way, i can only imagine what it can do to the groin).

12. Cail

Cail Valued Member

I've seen several knees to the groin though. The problem with kicking it is that it's sorta hard to land on a moving target that sees what you're doing. In a grappling scenario target's mobility and vision are impared. Plus most idiots try to do it like soccer kick, very ineffective, while a straight kick is much simpler and more useful.

13. Simon

Cail, I enjoy training and the upside of that training is that I have a few skills should the unlikely situation arise that I'm in a fight.

I don't ever expect to have to use those skills.

You seem to fully expect to have to use yours.

I suggest moving to a nicer area.:D

14. Cail

Cail Valued Member

Just be smart lol. Obviously there are different sorts of fights. A bar brawl or a road rage or a fight over a parking space (happened to me once lol), or in place that's close to your home etc, vs a random idiot is a whole different thing than a fight for your life/health (anything can happen, even if you're careful). Btw not everyone lives in America lol ;). Most violent crimes/homicides in the States involve guns afaik, which is not the case in many other place around the world (including Europe).

15. Simon

I disagree. There are degrees of ferocity, but that's about it.

All of the scenarios you list above don't need to reach a physical level, and since we're in the self defence thread, you'll find we take a dim view of those who feel the fight is the expected outcome.

16. Cail

Cail Valued Member

I sort of did last year (a university campus lol), but life had taught me that anything can happen. Even if my risk of getting into a fight is much lower today than it used to be in my youth (i sound like a geezer lol, i'm only 25 though), i personally know at least 2 people that were seriously injured in fight, even though they lived a "suburban dream".

17. Simon

Injured in a fight, rather than an attack?

I know someone who was run over. I still cross the road. I just look both ways. :D

18. Cail

Cail Valued Member

That degree of ferocity matters a lot. The "2 on ferocity scale" and "8 on ferocity scale" fights are two TOTALLY different things. There's also the environment factor, which matters a lot. Fighting in a crowded park at noon every moron is going to restrain himself, which is not the case in some "back alley" fight with no people around.

Whether or not a fight is the expected outcome is not as relevant as whether or not a fight is a possible outcome. And it is, even for the lower-risk groups/places.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  19. Cail

Cail Valued Member

Depends on how you draw the line between the two. One guy had a concussion and a broken wrist/arm in a road rage, the other guy simply rushed him with a baseball bat without even talking first. He did fight back after having been hit. The other one landed in the ICU over a girl.

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Cail,

Have you ever considered some anger management training or perhaps meditation? Seriously you have real issues about stomping people even if it is just your imagination. That really isn't a healthy way to live. Nothing wrong with being aware and training self defense but it shouldn't become an obsession.