a silly question

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Handsup, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Handsup

Handsup New Member

Hi

I need something to be clarified for me.

I weigh 60kgs ( male) and am fairly thin.

I also dont have the most muscular of calves or thighs, and my feet arent that big.

I have good techniques in my kicking

Assuming all other things are equall, does someone who weighs more than me, has more calf or thigh muscles than me and a larger feet , be able to kick harder than me ???

I no this is a silly question coming from such a wise guy like me...( i AM smart..cant help that), but can i please have your views on this one?

thanks heaps

2. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

A person with stronger leg muscles will have the potential to kick more powerfully than you. Whether they achieve that potential depends on how skilled they are.

What you can do is strengthen your legs by doing squats and kicking a heavy bag regularly. You could go also join a basketball team and/or just practice doing high squat jumps (at least waist height) regularly.

3. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I think Leo's exactly right. Some of the hardest strikes I have taken have been from people at or below your size..because they had good technique. They could hit much harder than me - I weigh 99 kilos.

4. Fighting-Irish

Fighting-Irish New Member

skipping builds huge calves, builds coordination, and is great cardio, try that!

5. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I'm with Irish, skipping is great, get yourself a rope and get jumping!
    As already mentioned, people with bigger muscles have the ability to kick harder, but technique plays a very big part in striking power.

6. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Force....

Dear Sir,

The equation for creating force is as follows...

Force = Mass X Speed

Therefore a smaller person has the potential to equal or exceed the power (force) of a larger person if he can exceed the speed of the larger person (to a degree that will compensate for the mass differential).

On the other hand a larger person can create more power (force) if he can utilize his mass to compensate for the loss in spead...

Regarding the jump rope and "skipping"...this type of exercise builds long flexible muscle. Muscle will increase mass while plyobility of said muscle will create speed.

Remember the equation, now do some algebra!

Two people are equal in speed...the one with the greater mass will create more power. Two people are equal in mass, the one with greater speed will create the more power!

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

7. Another Muay Thai Guy

Isn't it F=ma?
    Force = Mass x Acceleration :confused:

8. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Genrally speaking the bigger you are, the harder you hit, hence why we have weight classes in TKD matches, of course with speed a smaller peerson can compensate for the lack of mass but if the taller person's mass comes from muscle... well what do you think you use to make your leg move fast?

9. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Yes it is, but the issue is not the force it takes to speed up a leg. It's the amount of kinetic energy transferred into your target which goes along the lines of:

Ek = mass * (velocity ^ 2) / 2

in other words, velocity determines how much your opponent will feel the kick.

A strike can be seen simply as a transfer of energy from one person to another, therefore the more mass your leg has and the faster it moves, the more powerful the kick will be.

Very true. A bigger person can hit harder because of their mass advantage and because just because someone's bigger doesn't mean they move slower. That said, some skilled (not necessarily stronger or faster) people can take on a bigger person and win by striking vitals, but that's an SD issue.

10. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Another TKD Guy...

Dear Sir,

Acceleration is the accomplished by speeding up the process at which mass moves...but dont hurt yourself!

TAEKWON!
    SPooKey

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  11. Another Muay Thai Guy

Erm, I don't really know what "acceperate" means, so I'm just going to say yes. :D

12. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

oh no... here comes all the physics b/s :p

What Leo said is correct

"A person with stronger leg muscles will have the potential to kick more powerfully than you."

As for building your legs... skipping or squats will help, or start doing a sport with lots of leg work like basketball or soccer etc etc

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

please lets not get into the physics crap. there are so many variables involved in throwing a punch that physics theories are just that- theories.

anyhow, yes if someone is bigger than you and has the same skill level hes gonna be throwing harder kicks. I know that in tkd they dont use the push step technique so it might not be as important to have strong calves, but a bigger calf muscle= more weight in your leg, at least :D

plus, it looks better down at the beach than having a pair of matchsticks sticking out of your shorts.

14. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Push step? Could you please elaborate on that Ikken?

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Push kick im assuming. And yes we do have them.

Bigger people kick harder, its just the way things are. Though with correct technqiue and training, anyone can kick bloody hard.

16. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Quite true, physics only exists to tell us what we already know.

17. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

i would say people with larger calves kick harder. but people like you and me kick fast. i would say speed is the key, plus with good technique (if you get into the physics of it, with the snapping of the knee while the hip rotates and the leg moves increases the speed exponentially) you can kick butt. there is one guy in our club who is pretty big but lacks technique so i can dodge his kicks and kick him back.

18. DavidSJ

DavidSJ New Member

Some people have small, weak legs but are reasonably fast so their kicks are OK. Others have big, muscular legs but their kicks are slow, but can still land reasonably strong kicks.

Now the good competitors have muscular legs, are incredibly fast, and can kick harder than you want to know :) Don't be fooled into thinking that just because somebody's bigger and more muscular than you, that they're going to be any slower.

You need the muscle in your legs to have the potential of delivering very powerful and fast kicks, as well as the potential of being faster. The initial kicking motion is very similar to running a track sprint, and if you notice most sprinters have very big and muscular legs, and nobody is accusing them of being slow!

19. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

good call, i did make generalizations. the point i was trying to make is that i think that speed is more important than overall power in sparring.

20. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you lift your foot slightly then drive it back into the ground. you know how in muay thai matches you see the fighter "tapping" their front foot on the ground? this is part of the reason why, so they can do a push kick off it. same kind of idea that is used when you see a muay thai fighter throwing a bunch of kicks, after the first kick you slam it back down as hard as you can and use the force to lift off again for the next kick.

KC- i just assumed because I have *never* seen a push step kick in tkd