A short video, comments or advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 11, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm with Simon. Forget about the target for a while. Or rather, don't throw the kick at the bag for a while. Just go through that chambering motion but don't actually throw the kick. I think Simon's right that, if you're delivering a kick, you tend to fixate on whatever your image of a well-delivered kick is. The satisfying "thwack!" of the bag or thai pad, etc. And you inadvertently compromise form in order to get that result. I think that likely explains your tendency to lean forward as well.

One of the things that a past kickboxing coach had us do is spend one round of shadow boxing chambering for a kick without actually throwing it. So we'd throw the punches, and concentrate on the transition points from punching to the setup for the kick. And again back to the punching.

I've sometimes taken that one step further and done rounds where I don't even throw punches. I just concentrate on the foot placement and hip/shoulder motions without throwing the actual punch. You kind of see boxers doing something similar when they're warming up for a bout. They throw these very loosey goosey punch combinations to warm up. But they're going through the hip and foot motions without throwing actual punches.

I'm a huge advocate of footwork. To me, foot placement is what makes ALL other things credible. The difference between performing a hook punch and causing someone to double over in undignified agony generally begins with the feet.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

For a moment there, I was picturing you toppling a chair over with your leg kick. Seemed very unsporting. ;)

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think the chair is the best piece of equipment you can use when learning to kick.

So many options and even just holding the back of a chair when slowly kicking will help with balance and pivoting.

4. Simon

Bingo. ^ This all day long until it becomes you (or you become it). :dunno:

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Lol I'm not that vindictive! :)

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

yeah, I was kicking over a stool last night, but that is only about midway up my leg, so I think I need something a little higher.

7. Unreal Combat

Beer barrel or a nice sized tyre is another good one.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Shouldn't it be about hip height though?

9. Saved_in_Blood

I will have to take a vid of me without using the bag, I can turn the hips over, but when I'm kicking the bag, for some reason it's that thought of "more power" that I think interrupts technique.

10. Unreal Combat

We have a beer barrel that's about hip height and tyres can come in all sorts of sizes.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I tried that...Mrs weren't happy tho. She was sitting on it at the time...

12. Unreal Combat

Lol, when I was a kid the show off in me had a habit of asking girls to allow me to practice Van Damme Helicopter Kicks over their heads while they were standing.

Fortunately I never once messed it up, haha.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That will also give you the chance to take a wider shot and show your feet at work as well, since you won't have to set up next to the heavy bag.

Feet are important. I don't know if I mentioned that. ;)

14. Saved_in_Blood

I was not genetically gifted with big legs, my calves have actually built up quite a good amount over the last 3 months of doing this. My Wife though... solid, muscular legs, I know she would be an excellent kicker.

15. Simon

It's not big legs that make a good kicker.

It is though being able to get everything connected. You hit with your entire body, not just your legs.

The Tai Chi guys say when one part hits, all parts hit, so you need everything to work together to get a powerful, fluid kick.

I'm sure you've seen the Facebook videos of awesome 7 year old kicking the pads. No big legs there.

You've seen the last video I posted in the technique thread. Look at the section where I throw the mechanics for the rear cross, but without throwing the punch. It's the same with the kick. The balance, the initial drive, the turn, the impact, the return back to stance.

I would want to see you working the individual components, rather than have you going for power.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, I know it's not the size, but a heavier calf must carry a little extra power with it.

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

From the layman's corner....

Nice vid!

You don't look near as looney as I thought you would :p

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I got quite muscular legs. I would have to say about 90%+ of my kicking power comes from my hips/whipping motion and actually my front thighs do more work than my calves.
    My kicks aren't particularly quick but they pack a punch....or kick rather :p

All it is, is practice and form.

19. Saved_in_Blood

That's a shame... I do apologize for that lol.

20. Unreal Combat

It won't make that much difference with fighters of balanced weights. Most of the power comes from the hip rotation, and technique. Last week I showed a student who is about 95kg-100kg solid muscle who was trying to put everything he had into his kick on a bag, with low quality technique, that at just 79kg I could kick just as powerfully with less effort simply by employing proper technique, rotating my hip into the kick, and pivoting on my foot properly.