a serious question of real life application

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by ABanzhof, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ABanzhof

ABanzhof Valued Member

So I have just become an adult and finished paying off my first house now the next important step for me is preparing for disaster. I have a whole room full of emergency food supply, lots of seeds, ammo, and one of the nicest combat rifles money can buy. I thought i was totally prepared until last night when i was watching the movie "the road." While watching i came to the startling realization that i overlooked something big, in a post apocalyptic situation ammo conservation is a must as well as having the ability to still fight when 99% of the worlds ammunition has already been expended, what i need is a melee weapon that will give me a competitive edge in melee combat situations. Now i must admit i have some martial arts experience but little to no experience with weapons, this is why i need the help of seasoned ma practitioners in narrowing down the myriad of melee weapon choices available to me.

My first question is what type of of weapon should I chose. My second question is what brand/model to get for a particular weapon type with a 600 dollar price limit though this is somewhat subject to reconsideration if i really need to spend an extra couple hundred for a ridiculous quality difference.

Before you make a suggestion there are at least four important factors that i can think of to consider, the types of weapons my theoretical challengers will be likely to wield i.e. metal pipes, machetes, knives and baseball bats spiked or otherwise, the learning curve as i will be spending little to no time practicing before the need arises, the durability as it will need to be able to kill hundreds of opponents before needing replacement, and of course a little info on me the wielder, i am a 6ft tall 200lb male.

In my mind ive narrowed it down to spear or rapier/dagger combo, but this is certainly subject to change because as stated earlier i have little experience in this field, a well reasoned argument will almost surely alter my perception. Its the learning curve issue that made the spear stick out in my mind. It seems to me that if two complete newbies were pitted against each-other with their choice of melee weapons a spear would be the best choice as neither would be capable of blocking effectively meaning the one with the longest range wins almost every time.

Also i have been thinking that since there is little to no incentive for a spear maker to put the level of quality into is product necessary for it to be a practical tool for real life combat situations, and since military's all around the world use daggers maybe my best option is to modify a rigorously tested dagger into a spear.

On one final note, are their spears with metal shafts instead of wood. It seems imperative for the shaft to be able to block blades with out the need for immediate repair. Maybe what i need to do is have a shaft machined for me with a titanium core for the light weight and a steel outer layer for blocking bladed attacks then fasten a dagger to the end somehow but i really don't know how to go about making something as customized as this, maybe someone else does?

Anyway thanks in advance for your time nd before you ask "is this guy serious" yes I am VERY serious.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

What a great question - I can hardly wait to see how this thread plays out...

For myself - in a post apocalyptic situation I shall most probably be dead and thus not care too much about things...

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Why? I've only just started researching rapier dueling but I would still suggest a broadsword of some kind preferably chinese, or just a katana actually. Rapiers, in my mind, limit your attack options and katana's have a nice balance between opening up numerous ways to attack without making the blade overly heavy. Although to be honest I'd favour a bladed weapon and a blunt one you must always consider that people forced into using melee weapons will fashion armour before long

Presumably, although wooden shafts can stand up to bladed strikes suprisingly well. If you insist on creating your own you would probably find the blade will come loose relatively easily if you're just tying a knife to a pole (we've all tried). I would however suggest a ka-bar. Very nice weapon I found to be pretty nicely balanced.

Also with knives you have no idea how many I would have strapped to me in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Have many and remember to have a seperate one for food.

Which one? Choices these days are endless

EDIT: After consulting with a knowledgable man on knives: BAYONET!!

4. ABanzhof

ABanzhof Valued Member

i say rapier for the same reason as spear the learning curve seems very limited just jump back and forth and poke ur opponent to death while maintaining maximum range.

as for fashioning my own i wouldn't be just tying it on there i would machine a slot down the end of the shaft that matched the length and width of the hilt of the dagger then machine out little slots so i could put those locking lug nuts in there with out them being exposed. it should in theory be a very secure fit if i could figure out how to make a metal shaft that wasnt to heavy or unbalanced to be useful.

and if ur right about a wooden shaft being able to stand up to repeated blows from a machete than it certainly wouldn't be difficult to pick up a handful of them, they cant be that expensive.

and my rifle is a robinson xcr chambered in 7.62 with a 16" barrel.

5. Southpaw535

Can say the same thing for any pointed weapon the problem with a rapier is that all it can do. Saying jump forward and stick the bugger is wonderful but its assuming you will always have the first hit with no chance of a defence by the opponent and is just plain foolish. Rule 1 of weapons for post apocalypse is make sure they fulfill as many functions as possible to cut down on how many different tools and weight you need to carry which is the reason I say katana: Light, durable, good amount of power behind the swing, and capable of thrusting. More importantly it also has the strength to hold up to blocking which a rapier does not especially the heavy instruments I imagine a random survivor would use (hammers etc) due to their ease of access, a damn branch can become a weapon when your starving. Your best bet would be to look at later medieval warfare when blunt instruments became popular alongside bladed ones because there will be a shedload of diversity in a post apocalyptic world.

Then I reiterate my point about carrying spare knives since you won't be able to retrieve that one as easily. What about reinforced polymer for a shaft?

6. ABanzhof

ABanzhof Valued Member

i def think ur right about the issue of the rapier for now im taking it off the table, its a great offensive weapon but if the bugger leaps out of a tree right on top of you with a sledge hammer u would be in some serious trouble.

as for the spear i prob wont be traveling great distances as im unusually prepared for the situation, i see myself carrying one assault rifle one backup pistol one tactical knife and what ever melee weapon i chose when out scavenging in my area. Ive been considering the katana as well but it seems like im not going to be able to neutralize the threat before i comes in range like i could with the spear, blocking will surely damage the blade and if it does than its not going to be easy to replace like the wooden spear shaft or impervious like the steel rod shaft. It seems like with a good bit of practice there would be no clear advantage with katana vs spear but for a total noob the spear will prevail.

oh and as for blunt instruments they are too heavy i can get similar performance out of a lot less weight with a bladed option.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

alumnum flanged mace?

8. Southpaw535

Nice and light too I can see why they became popular but sadly they're not a true combat weapon in my mind. Look sexy and lovely for duels but not for leaving your life to.

Ah right I thought you wanted a sword and a spear. my bad. If you're only having one I would seriously consider something better thana tac knife. Carry one because they're awesome but that means you're limited to long range with the spear or severe close range and you don't really want that. Simple short swords (gladius type length) are light and don't take up too much space but give you an option. Kopis' fulfill that and don't need a terrible amount of thought to cause some nice damage.

I agree, but you do need to consider them being used on you as their far easier to improvise than bladed weapons

9. ABanzhof

ABanzhof Valued Member

mace is a really damn cool weapon, AND you get 150% damage against undead, just in case its a zombie apocalypse =P

10. ABanzhof

ABanzhof Valued Member

ya i think ur right about that, the long range of spear is nice but your so limited in close quarters, instead of a tactical knife i should carry a combat dagger thatll give me the close range superiority if they jump out of the bushes and the long range superiority of the spear if i see them from afar.

11. Southpaw535

Or play fallout and build a bladed gauntlet, preferably 2, and take up boxing

12. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Flame thrower

13. Southpaw535

Fuel. Not thinking it through smurf!

14. Fish Of Doom

mace of disruption ftw

15. Fish Of Doom

use the guys you kill with the rifle

16. Southpaw535

I was going to use them to feed my wolf pack

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I consider myself well prepared for the Zombie apocalypse but I do have one question that my whole plan hangs on, can anyone help?

What's Milla Jovovich's number?

18. ABanzhof

ABanzhof Valued Member

im not sure if the thing about the bladed gauntlet was a joke but ur totally right, does anyone know how to get high quality wolverine (from the comic book) claws that are actually practical for real life combat? there is no reason at all why that shouldnt be a real life weapon utilized by militaries every day. If made properly you could still shoot and wield a spear or sword with claws like that on the whole time.

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I suggest your best defence is to surround yourself with a gang of like minded individuals since however you arm yourself, on your own you will be easy meat for a gang of hells angels or renegade soldiers looting for food.

In any post war apocalyptic situation in the USA I'd put my money on the Amish communities being the survivors.

20. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi John,

Hope all is well with you.
    ------------------------------

Re this 'topic' - More important than weapons - how good are your medical skills - I'd suggest learning some useful basic medical and surgical skills and then you might be a useful resource rather than a potential victim...