A Question

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sean O, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Hey guys, my name is Sean O, and I'm new to these forums. I took karate for about three months a while ago, but I quit because it didn't feel like the right martial art for me. I put off trying to find a new art to train in, until now. Unfortunately, I don't really know many of the arts out there.

I've always been much better at using my hands than using my feet, so of course, I want to train under a martial art that focuses on using your hands much more than your feet, but would still be effective in a self-defense situation.

My question to you guys is, can you name as many martial arts as you can think of that meet my description?

P.S.: I've been looking into this on my own for a bit, but the only martial art I fould that looked good to me was Dux Ryu Ninjitsu, and the only schools for that art are in Washington and South Carolina, and I don't live anywhere near either of those states.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hello Sean O, :)

Welcome to the forums. :)

How about a weapons martial art? I do Arnis amongst other things. However, are you sure you want to do a martial art? It takes dedication and commitment. What ever art you do, its going to be repetitive, very repetitive :)D ) and the good ones tend to leave you doing extreme basics for quite sometime. You could look at rowing or canoeing? It really does depend on what you want out of your 'art'. I do a couple because I want to learn the physical and mental aspect of my MA. I want to learn the language and 'spirituality' of it too. Others train to just get fit, or to compete. It also depends on how patient you are too.

Just a few things to think about. :) I expect there will be other responses.

3. Sean O

Sean O New Member

I'm not afraid to commit to learning a martial art, the only reason I quit karate is because I didn't really like it all that much. Didn't seem right to me, yeah?

Plus, if I can be frank, I'm a very patient person, and I'm looking forward to learning a martial art, I just don't know where to start.

What I want to get out of my art, is a little more wisdom and a little more peace of mind, along with the ability to protect myself, should I ever need to. I just have no idea where to start looking. So I just need to hear some suggestions, is all. :)

Thanks, and keep the replies comin'

Sean O

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Great! Well in that case I do recommend a weapons martial art. Arnis is good - reasonably non-lethal at the beginning and works your hands and arms first and foremost (other bits come later).

Patience is a requirement! To ensure good co-ordination, speed and control (same as any other art). Pain tolerance or enjoyment helps too! :D

5. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Heh, nice. I'll look into it, and if I ever have any other questions I'll come back to these forums.

Thanks again

Sean O

6. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I do agree. There are many weapons that you can begin to study. Also look into more of a chineese martial arts. Most do more with the hands than the feet as well as using more weapons than most styles.

7. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Sean, you can also check out Kenpo or Hapkido. Eventhough they use kicks, it's more self defense, and they have weapons training, too.

8. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

I would recommend Ed Parker's Kenpo. It is based upon self defense and other principles. What state do you live in?

9. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Acually, I live in Toronto. Yeah, I know I'm a Canadian, so no jokes, alright? But if you know of a good class in Toronto, that would be helpful too.

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hey Sean

You're in Toronto? Man you are SO lucky! You have access to a real gem of a martial arts club right on your doorstep!

Makoto Kabayama is well worth checking out if you're serious about a functional approach to martial arts.

http://www.jkdfamily.com

Go and check him out - and tell him I said hi :D

11. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Ever thought of wing chun ???

12. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

There are some really good clubs in Toronto that I have found searching listings and other things. At the very least, there are a lot of options - tons of clubs. I'd recommend something like Kali/Arnis if you are really set on just using hands, although I don't think that is the best approach. I would recommend personally Hapkido or Kenpo (I like Hapkido :) ) as they are both effective for self defense, and although they do use kicks (in varying frequency depending on the club, I suppose) they are good options to meet the objectives you specified, IMO. I don't think many people are 'good' at using their feet to start - because its what guys are taught and our natural inclanation, we are used to using our hands and are better with them - but - what is training for? Check out the clubs in your area (most should let you whatch a class) and take your time to make a good decision - don't get discouraged by the 'kicking', in a good club with good training and excercising, you won't have a problem being good with your feet. The two arts I mentioned are quite well rounded (especially Hapkido, of course :) ) and could fit your specifications.

Sweeet.