A question about kung fu styles.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Eero, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Hi

I finally got my kung fu studies started. I have been dreaming about this for a long time. My local kung fu school seem pretty good and I am very excited but I had one surprise when I started. Their kung fu style is actually an European style. Of course the techniques come mainly from Chinese styles, but the father of the style is an Italian grandmaster who has studied several martial arts for a long time and has received teaching from Chinese masters. His resume is actually pretty impressive. They practice really hard and the skill level of the teachers is very good.

So I would like to know if this is common in kung fu? Do you practice some traditional styles or styles created by your teacher?

2. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

The reality of Kung Fu is that it is in a constant state of evolution, Wing Chun for example leads a student through the six forms to a point where they can extrapolate the principles that are hidden therein. When the student has the principle he really can in essence discard the vehicle in which those principles where presented to him, but thats if he has the principle, this leads to a state called the art of artlessness. I am all for evolution, but not simply for evolutions sake but for practicalities sake if you know a better way and you can test it in the heat of battle on a number of occasions, not just once, then evolve, yet if you simply mouthing of that this is the latest and greatest with no "field testing" mmmmmmmm. I am not doubting the Italian masters abilities or skills, just make sure that this thing works in the reality of now, not in the reallity of what might be, if the art your studying can hold up to that scruitiny, then fine, if not, then you need to look for something that has been field tested.

3. Eero

Eero Valued Member

I am pretty confident that at least those teachers I have seen are pretty skilled in actual fighting. And the school's training methods are practically orientated. The thing I like is that it seems they blend Muay Thai into their kung fu training when it comes to sparring.

This approach is pretty new to me as I have some backround in Japanese arts in which it is always important to practice this or that style. And this kung fu school has this attitude that we do things that work.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That speaks volumes.

5. Eero

Eero Valued Member

I probably should not be speaking about the guy I have not met especially when I don't know much about him, but I think our head coach in Italy has won some big muay thai contest in Thailand in the seventies. But I'm not sure about that.

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Basically, every martial art boils down to being a "theory of fighting." And any good scientist will conceed that every "theory leaks" and that the only theories that don't evolved are ones that can't be tested.*

All martial arts should be in a state of evolution. They should acknowledge thier roots but not be trapped by them.

As Yoda suggests, it sounds like this instructor has the right idea and what he teaches should therefore reflect it. I'd definitely check it out.

- Matt

* - I just came across this philosophy last night. It's scary how true it is of the martial arts community.