A question about burning fat and building muscle.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by No Life King, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

No, one rest day inbetween your lifting days, and cardio and bag work on the off days is a great way to keep it going and all together.

2. No Life King

No Life King New Member

allright, everything is clear now, thank you.

3. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I'm sort of confused with your argument here. If aerobic factors affect only 20-30% of the activity would it not be wiser to better yourself in the remaining 70%?

It is true that aerobic fitness is a factor in MA. But the predominantly anaerobic training of good MA schools will improve aerobic performance. The basis of surving multitudes of 3-minute rounds is your capacity to maintain your power and manage fatigue.

A properly managed strength raining program alone will better both your aerobic and anaerobic fitness as opposed to exercises that only better aerobic fitness. If training is to be efficient, why do the latter?

4. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

5. No Life King

No Life King New Member

are barbell squats bad for your knees?

6. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Less than running is. I've had knee problems which got better after doing ass to calves squats (deep as I could go).

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

It is possible but you can only build minimal muscle.

8. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

If the strength training is only weighted movements, then there is likely to be no aerobic adaptations happening.

9. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

If you do 3 to 5 sets of an exercise with the reps going from 5 to 15 using moderate to heavy loads with the minimum of rest periods between sets....you can be sure that there will be aerobic adaptations.

Of course they do. My point is that the training regimen should not be loaded with aerobic workouts. In fact I feel that the only acceptable workouts that can be classed under aerobic are running and rope-skipping. Taebo is an aerobic workout but I would not recommend it for boxing or MA simply because the latter already have better training methods going for them.

If you are stupid in doing it then yes.

10. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

I'm not sure why you've come to this conclusion, or what authority you're basing this on. Didn't you ever see Rocky III, where the trainer teaches the guy to swim? :D Any aerobic exercise is going to be useful. Relying solely on running or skipping could bring overuse training injury to your knees, shins (e.g. shin splints), etc.
    If you're only going to train an hour a week, sure, stick to the most important aspects of the training, but if you want to train RIGHT, then it's important to have a broad and safe training program that will cover all aspects of your training, without overusing muscles or inducing injury which will stop your training cold.

11. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Ok, to clarify, I never said that all aerobic exercises have to be removed from MA. What I said was there are aerobic exercises that are better left out. Boxing hardly ever relies on rope-skipping or running alone (there is sparring, mitt-work, bag work, etc.)

I did watch Rocky 3 (all Rocky movies in fact) and you I also saw Apollo Creed telling Rocky to do sprints on the beach. Looking at them closely, the training can be best described as strength interval. The good thing about strength interval is you can get the benefit of increased aerobic and anaerobic fitness but also not lose muscle mass (which I think is the whole idea of this thread). If you want to look it up do a google on Charles Staley, Integrated Sports Solutions, and strength interval training.

On a side note, swimming is hardly aerobic, since you are working largely in the absence of oxygen.

This is what I've been talking about. But I don't think you're reading me correctly.

12. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

Most people who run end up with some knee problems. Unless they are on soft surface, wear fitted shoes, condition their legs and back, etc.
    How many people do you know that do all that?

13. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Pretty much everyone who runs successfully and consistenly DOES do all of that. Myself included.

14. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Depends on the intensity that you're working at and the length of time you're spending on this activity.

15. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Okay sure, but let's look at it in a "training" context. You're not taking a leisurely swim when training right?

16. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Hold a good training routine involving a fair bit of cardio and weights. Use Heavy weights and push yourself but DONT do too much. Eat when your hungry only as in dont eat because you feel like it, eat because you know you need it. Drink plenty of water to help the fatloss and lay off the chips and all that