A Photograph

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by warriorofanart, Aug 3, 2012.

1. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

The world revolves ceaselessly. In that blur a moment is sometimes captured forever, a moment that remains powerful throughout the passing of time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMEOzOBHqDw&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMEOzOBHqDw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Man, this thread deserves at least one post.

Awesome find man.

3. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Always nice to start one's morning with a coffee and a cry. Glad the voice over stopped, was distracting as hell trying to read the captions and take in some meaning from the photo with someone talking.

4. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

A great article on the role of the photo journalist as neutral observer or voyoure

Some very moving images, but disturbing also

5. Hatamoto

Funny, you said disturbing images and I thought "I used to visit those gore sites, I've seen people blown up and shot and set on fire, I can cope." First picture is a man slapping a woman, and my guts tightened :p lol.. funny how after all the messed up stuff I've seen on the internet, it's the low end, everyday stuff that gets me. Before I go further, just let me know, is there anything against kids or animals in there? I can't see that stuff :s

6. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

There is a a very sad image of a famished child (last image)

The magazine version of the article has more images and more in depth interview with the photographers

7. Ero-Sennin

It's funny how that works isn't it? I used to go to that sort of site, I've also had the actual experiences in seeing some of that stuff. Never bothered me at all. What always bothered me, which is the same reasons some of the photos are powerful in my opinion, is because you see what the injury of some of those people cause for others or the agony of a situation for an individual. The pain, anguish, loss, hopelessness that you know that person is feeling is what always gets me because I can relate to it, I can understand their pain and in some way or another I feel like I share it with them.

I think the reason people don't relate the same way to 'gore sights' as much is because they have usually experienced nothing like what's on those sites and can't really grasp what's going on with the mental state of the injured, the assailant, or the situation that played out to lead up to a photo. That and along with a shock factor aspect, in which you're trying to deal with another part of yourself (usually the squeamish little guy in you) to force yourself to look at it.

8. Ero-Sennin

And obviously you're not married. There was a glimmer of hope and admiration and wanting when I viewed that photo first as well as understanding, then a "sigh, you can't do that to your wife." Sometimes man, I tell ya' you just want to WHAM! in an argument. I've had arguments with the wife I got so angry about I think I would have killed her if she were somebody I didn't know. Goes both ways though, in my house with the wife anyways. Only she's 100 lbs and I'm 230lbs. She often gets to hit me when she's mad but for obvious reasons I can't retaliate in anger the same way she does. I would likely kill her : P! It's cute though too, until she picks up the frying pan.

9. Hatamoto

lol frying pan is just no fair :p Interesting family dynamic you have. I get the urge to smack someone, though, many's the time I've come close to losing it and lashing out on women in my life (how I never raised a hand to my ex with some of the scathing crap she threw my way I'll never know, seriously), but to see it.. you know it happens but it's still wrong to me on a deep level. But then I never could do a good Sean Connery impression :p

Great link though, I found the description interesting too, how the photographer felt to be there and see it happening. Worrying about light exposure while someone's being murdered in front of you, mad. Hard to imagine having those two things going on at the same time, but I spose it's a way of distancing yourself from it.