A Personal Perspective on Women's Self Defence.

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Melanie, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

There is much information in regard to women's self-defence available in various media. This information mentions what is offered, what costs and the value this new found experience might provide to women. All of this information is necessary if self-defence classes are to be taken up by women. This article is not about why you should take up self-defence, merely an explanation of why I did. When I was asked to write this article, I thought I would try to explain my personal perspective, so here goes:

I started training in self-defence in January of 2002 after 2 years of Shotokan karate. I have been fortunate enough to be taught previously by two instructors (Sensei) that were equally interested in the application and the techniques intrinsic to Shotokan. They pushed their students into exploring the techniques, to find their every day usefulness. After seeing a self-defence demonstration in September last year, followed closely by a pressure point seminar, I found that this aspect of my chosen martial art was equally as stimulating as the martial art itself.

I can only speak with the experience of a few months of self-defence training - so for me personally, I have found self-defence per se an outlet and explanation of some of the techniques that I have presently come across in Shotokan.

Shotokan (traditionally) has a very deep stance and what can be considered as an impractical stance for Self-Defence purposes. The first stance taught, Zenkutsu dachi (forward stance) has been over the years referred to as the learning stance and it has been suggested that as your training develops in Shotokan, your stance is expected to raise and become more natural, to allow for better movement.

[​IMG]

Zenkutsu Dachi

[​IMG]

Shizentai Dachi

Shizentai (Natural position) and even Sanchin dachi have been suggested amongst other stances and disregarded for a higher Zenkutsu dachi when performing Self-Defence procedures.

As previously mentioned I have only trained in one aspect of Self-Defence so far. The main application used in our Self-Defence is two techniques taken from Shotokan; Gedan Barai (lower sweeping block) and Gyaku Tzuki (reverse punch). The particular techniques were brought to life with an amalgamation of Patrick McCarthys Habitual Acts of Violence (Web page) and Sensei Zoltan Dienes (Web Page) my Sensei.

Back to Self-Defence in general. Self-Defence teaches so much more than just a few blocks and punches. It teaches you self-awareness, confidence and hopefully structure should you ever find yourself in certain predicaments. Only last night, I was told along with the rest of the class by one of the Instructors, that there is every chance that the techniques they teach us may not be possible to put in place. These techniques don't make you invulnerable, just hopefully give you another string to your bow so to speak.

Since I have started training, I feel more relaxed and confident about myself. I find I worry little about inconsequential things these days, as I now have an outlet for any pent-up frustrations that may have developed over time. I have even noticed my posture has improved. I suspect this is because of the increase in confidence I have felt. As an example, do you watch people out on the street? How many people do you see slightly hunched over, viewing things (if at all) with their necks craned over - looking slightly below other people's eye-line? This I have associated with a defensive posture I have seen in animals. It suggests that you're submissive, uninterested and more than likely not aware of your surroundings. I know this is a terrible thing to do, but I thought I'd put my theory to the test. One afternoon (after work and changed into jeans and a T-shirt), I decided to follow and get as close as I could to several people without alerting them to my presence. I made no deliberate effort to be particularly quiet, but I was wearing trainers, which may have dulled my footsteps a little. I have long hair and tucked this under my jacket (basically so I could intimate that I was male at a quick glance) and actually managed too basically (give or take a hair!) touch three women that were demonstrating the above behaviour. It was 5:00pm on a sunny afternoon on the University campus where I work and not one of these ladies noticed me!

I then tried this experiment with my hair out and made a direct beeline for a couple of other people, male and female and kept my eyes on their back and each time I did this - the person would turn round. It was strange, it seemed these two people felt my intent and turned round to stop me. I merely smiled and walked past them, leaving them (I would imagine) very perplexed at what just happened. Naturally I tried this again with people who also demonstrated awareness - I never got any closer than about 3 to 4 feet each time. I must add this is not a test you should duplicate! I just got lucky that I didn't get beaten up!

I still have so much to learn. Just because I know a couple of moves a little bit doesn't make me Jet Li. I can only suggest to other women out there that you don't have to be in potential danger to take up self-defence. It's a great way to get fit, build up stamina and confidence and defend yourself if the need ever arise. When we (women) walk down the usual road to get milk from the local shop during the day over the weekend, just because its daylight - it doesn't mean we can be complacent. Attacks on women during the day and close to home are always on the increase. Even walking to your car after work isn't as safe as it used to be. This doesn't mean we should all dress up as "Rambettes", but rather we should make every effort to be aware of our surroundings and utilise the common sense we were born with.

The training of self-defence includes a lot of very close and direct contact with your "attacker" (normally another member of the class). Initially I found this close contact to be a little off putting as the "attacker" was in my "space". However, this is a very important part of self-defence training. If you panic and flail blindly after some one has entered your "space", you have immediately lost any potential advantage to take control of the situation.

There is no self-defence regime out there that can guarantee that it will save your life. You and I have no idea what we would do if we were attacked, even if we have been attacked before. Every single situation is slightly different. But with this extra confidence in yourself and surroundings - hopefully - you will look less of a potential victim. The attacker out there will always go for the easier target, the person who is not aware.

I hope you have found this article useful and maybe even a little insightful. If you are interested in taking up self defence, look for a well developed school, that has insurance and attend a couple of classes to get the "feel" of it. You don't have to accept the first school, look around for a class/school that you would be comfortable to attend on a regular basis.

Either way…I am off to class!