A new topic to spark some discussion

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sonshu, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

How long would you say it takes from your own experience to take a normal person walking the street with no experience and turn them into someone who could offer a credible defence if attacked by one person of similar size (no experience or formal training) outside a bar.

Please complete the following template and be honest as you will need to support your views.

THE STYLE YOU CHOSE
    YOUR LENGTH OF STUDY
    YOUR BELT LEVEL (If it has belts)
    WHAT IT COVERS
    TIME IT TAKES

YOUR REASONS FOR THIS ANSWER

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  2. Sonshu

THE STYLE YOU CHOSE

Mixed Martial Arts - I have chosen this as it is about 65% of what I do at the moment.

LENGTH OF STUDY

14 years all in all but MMA for about 4

MMA does not have a formal belt structure

WHAT IT COVERS

Stand up, clinch, ground work, pressure testing and applicable defence

TIME IT TAKES

Around 4-8 months to offer a credible level of defence. Depending on the person and attendance etc.

YOUR REASONS FOR THIS ANSWER

Becuase it is a simple style taking the more easier and applicable techniques which it then turns into a form which will suit the individuals height, weight and other attributes.

3. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Its a ridiculous question. It depends entirely on the individuals involved especially the would be assilant - for example, what do you mean by "attacked" do you mean someone tries to mug them, someone swings an unexpected punch, or someone with a grudge walks up behind them and stabs them? Does the assailent really want to fight? is he just looking for an easy target, etc.

Questions like yours make no sense and serve no real purpose.

I've heard of one novice who after one 2 hour session (in which he had learnt a basic stance and how to move a bit) was attacked in a pub, dropped into a stance and the attacker ran off, not wanting to fight someone who obviously knew what he was doing and wasn't scared. Didn't matter that the guy being attacked knew <profanity Removed> all and was <profanity Removed> himself.

So based on that. 2 hours :p

<SP>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005
  4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Gee, this isn't asking for everyone to hype their own style!

But I'll bite anyway, just 'cuz I'm such a glutton for punishment.

Style :Bai Kai Kung Fu.

Length of Study and belt level: I'm a purple sash, been with the organization for a year now.

What it covers: Striking, grappling (stand up and ground), locking, throwing, weapons, animal styles, and weapons, both forms and practical application.

Time it takes: As I said above, probably a year in to be comfortable with the techniques. Minimum of 5 years to attain black sash, just for the record. I'd say you'd need to be about a year in. Purple sash. Mainly because that would have given you enough basics to put up some sort of credible defense. By that time you've done techniques, resistance testing, lots of PT, sparring, and grappling. You won't be defending against Lidell, but I think you'd do ok against an average thug.

Reasons: Mainly the variety of techniques and the instruction. Both the head instructor and the Assistant instructor have a keen eye in terms of being able to work with people to make the techniques work, altering them as necessary. Plus we are realistic about our training. We are taught to de-escalate, tricks for awareness and talking, and the techniques aren't so complicated and unrealistic at the beginning levels that they are user-friendly, with enough variety for all body types. And during training, while the students are expected to understand the techniques, we're also encouraged to experiment, even if we get it wrong.

I've done TKD, KB, Kenpo, and dabbled a bit in Isshin Ryu, P'ai Lum, and TSD. This system works for me the best out of everything I've studied.

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

If I'm training someone specifically for this, using a "stun and run approach", I'd say:

WHAT THE SELF DEFENSE TRAINING COVERS/TIME IT TAKES/YOUR REASONS FOR THIS ANSWER
    The overall area of study would be RBSD - using a very basic mix of kick boxing and grappling, a small amount of weapons work, and a lot of scenario based training and basic sparring.

Approximately 6 months, twice a week lessons for ~ 1.5 hours and suplimental physical conditioning. Note, this is not going to turn the person into a brawler. Rather someone who understands how to get out of a situation and understands the basics to defuse or otherwise exit the scenario safely. And someone who can punch thier way out of a wet paper bag. They won't be super martial artist or cage fighter, but they'll be prepared as long as they keep practicing. KISS is the rule here.

MY PERSONAL STYLES/LENGTH OF STUDY
    I've been a student of the Martial Arts for over 10 years. Nearly eight of those have been in my Core Kung Fu style. I have over two years of experience in Kali. And a years worth of experience in Wing Chun and BJJ. Sprinkle in some Choi Li Fut and Judo in there as well.

I hold no offical ranking in RBSD. I'm the "senior" assistant instructor in our system of Kung Fu. I also hold low level ranks in Wing Chun and BJJ. The Kali program I was in didn't rank.

- Matt

6. Sonshu

Well thanks for adding nothing to the thread! - I managed to do it. Ok if you have no idea what a normal altercation outside a night club or bar seems like its some half cut idiot desides you need filling in, spilt his beer, spoke to his girl etc - he does not jump you from blindside but has a posturing situation first with lost of guestures and it then turns physical. They are pretty normal looking, not 6'9 and 350 lbs but more about 5'9 and 165 lbs.

He is the only one fighting how does the style as a rule fair and why - I managed it and I am sure you can take avarages from your style. I could do this for a number of styles based on experience but wanted to let current students of these arts speak there mind.

There are plenty of avarage indicators for this sort of situation as its this sort of information that produced the call for more RBSD orientated styles based upon common trends, themes and attacks.

7. Sonshu

Well I think the hypers from the real world people should be pretty easy to sus out from the answers they give - its not a slating thread but more a general chance to give your view and it ends there mostly.

Also sorry I changed one of the topics for people to give their training years experience incase of a non belt style.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

It doesn't invalidate the thread, I'm just curious to see how many people step in with only one style experience and tout it as "t3h d3adly". Perosnally, I can just as quickly give a critique of my style as well as the benefits, and I've done so in the past :p

9. Sonshu

That is the difference with experience - every style has flaws none is perfect.

10. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Style : JJJ and Eskrima

Belt/Rank: JJJ - 1st kyu (brown) 3 years, Eskrima - no current rank 2 years (coming up soon I hope) also did Judo 5 years when I was younger (before my 12th year) up to 2nd kyu (blue) and 6 months of Karate.

Covers: Practically everything. Grappling, locking, choking, throws, strikes, kicks, weapons... did I manage to leave something out ??? ;)

Timetable: Pfff, that would be hard to say. It depends on the person, but my guess would be a minimum of a year.

Reason: Assuming the person doesn't have ANY prior experience in MA. It would take a significant amount of time to get them adjusted to the way some things are done.

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

THE STYLE YOU CHOSE

WTF Tae kwon do (One of 2 arts I've studied longe enough to comment on)

YOUR LENGTH OF STUDY

3 Years

Red belt (2nd Guep)

WHAT IT COVERS

Kicking, mases upon masses of it

TIME IT TAKES

2.5 years I guess, for me it's around that time I think I would actually start to have some significant advantage over clone me who didn't do MA.

The strong emphasis on patterns and incredibly minimal pad work for hands coupled with no low kicks being taugh and no pad work for knees and elbows means I really wouldnt trust myself till I had accumulated enough skill to throw a half decent punch and to be bluntly honest that comes from my own determination to focus on hand work (Bugying bag and focus mits and working on the hands when I had chance).

On top of that we only sparred under WTF rules so under pressure I always want to kick which is just bad.

12. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I will post this not for myself, but for joe average who is going to pick up a martial art and run with it:

Doesn't matter, you pick the style (reader). If the style is trained properly, just about any style will give you some level of proficiency at fighting

irrelevant for this one.

Irrelevant for this one.

FIGHTING. The way I feel on this subject is: if you train for 4-10 months, doing about 50% basics (form work, drills) and 50% sparring/fighting, you are going to be a somewhat proficient fighter in 4-10 months.

I have seen people come and train with us, and to loosely quote Fight Club "when they started,they were a wad of cookie dough, after a while, they were made out of wood." If you are fighting at medium to fast speed for 3-5 hours a week, you will get good at fighting pretty darn fast.

4-10 months

Ok, now I will do my style too. Why? Because I'm having fun with this.

Five ancestor fist kung fu

2 years, 3 months.

No belts

Stand-up striking, kicking, and grappling with a strong focus on balance. The system supposedly has some groundwork in it, but I know nothing about it.

4-10 months (as I think it should take for any training regimen that has about 50% focus on fighting).

I beleive that any style with a decent amount of focus on sparring and live training, that has straightforward basics, with a clear objective to training will produce a fighter who can defend himself from joe average in 4-10 months.

13. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

2 answers based on two experiences.

THE STYLE YOU CHOSE
    Karate McDojo many years ago

YOUR BELT LEVEL
    Brown

WHAT IT COVERS
    Kicking and punching air, defending against slow single strikes or kicks.

TIME IT TAKES
    Beats me, because I could never use it in a real fight.

THE STYLE YOU CHOSE
    Wing Chun (current - just over a year, 4 evenings a week (for 6 months of that)

YOUR BELT LEVEL
    Red 3

WHAT IT COVERS
    Stand up fighting

TIME IT TAKES
    3-6 months to be of some use in real fights. From what I can see 2-3 years to create an effective fighter.

I'd place less importance on the style than on the quality of the instructor. Equally important is the commitment of the student, if you only turn up once or twice a week and only practice in class then progress is going to be painfully slow. But if the instructor is crap you could probably train hard for the rest of your life and still not be able to fight your way out of a wet paper bag.