a NEW tkd vs MT vid :D

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ikken Hisatsu, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

This obviously confirms that MT is better than TKD.

2. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Happy smiley family Muay Thai coming up as ordered sir

http://www.karmaa.co.uk/

would you like fries with that?

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well what do you think they are trying to get at with the name "tae bo"

think it would have gotten as much recognition if the the first word didnt sound exactly the same as both TAE tkwon do and THAI boxing? Billy Blanks may be a jackass, but hes a clever (and rich) jackass

4. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

And with the rise in popularity of Muay Thai through UFC and Ong Bak (and the hundred copycat films that will no doubt follow) him and others are going to cash in in a big way offering happy smiley pain free methods of becoming "the d33dly".

Soon you will know the pain of seeing many videos of people doing feeble imitations of your chosen martial art learned in mcdojos. Welcome to my world.

5. yann

yann Valued Member

In my opinion, the tkd man was brave to get in there & 'have a go' i don't think it was kk rules as technically the downed opponent could be quickly followed by a 'reverse punch' (forgive me if kk rules have altered since 'when i was a lad') ;)
    The tkd man looked as if he was more used to 'points style' competition perhaps, his kicks were largly innefectual (when they landed)
    the mt man did remind me of a kk fighter, those low kicks' were 'very economical' ;) kk would have been similair but with more punches to the chest & stomach area (again, in my opinion)
    regards, yann

6. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

I've crossed trained in both TKD and MT for decades, as well as fought both old school TKD and more recent/modern and in kickboxing. I agree with a lot of what PASmith wrote and want to add that the scoring system used in olympic TKD (though they are restructuring it) basically encourages the type of fighting we saw in this vid.

Back in the late '70's and early 80's when I was heavily into fighting in TKD competitions, the primary goal was to KO your opponent. Yes, you could win on points scored by heavy contact, but you were looking for the KO. I guess to try to make the sport more dynamic to viewers (flashy), the powers that be decided to reward (by giving the win to) the fighters who used the more flamboyant, though often less (for reality) effective kicks and strikes.

This combined with a racially/nationality motivated pecking order drove a LOT of the best TKD fighters into kickboxing (where they could also punch people in the face like they had always wanted to) which compounded the problem. MT has always rewarded it's fighters for sticking to the basics and being the best fighter. The sad part of it is that were this a TKD match, the way he fought, the TKD guy probably would have been considered the winner :bang: .

Back in '99, I caught a case of Olympic fever and decided to try to qualify for the US Olympic TKD team.(I had competed nationally and internationally with success years earlier prior to fighting in kickboxing) I really didn't do my homework on the state of TKD comp that was now the reality even though the stated rules were basically the same. I won the state and went to the nationals looking for KO's and to score with "trembling shock" (y'know, old school). My first couple of opponents were quite helpful and came in on me, so I could "bat them out of the park". My third fight, the guy just slapped my chest protector(hogu) with light round kicks that caused absolutely NO body displacement and scored. I knocked him out of the ring repeatedly with side kicks and knocked him down with a body punch, yet recieved no points for this. After I hit him with these good shots, he just kept running out of the ring until time ran out.

As a fighting sport, I have NO doubt that MT is FAR more functional than TKD as it is currently practiced or for that matter, ever was. Though in fairness, the old school fighters were a lot closer and probably could have cross-trained or switched up between rules and sports much more easily. As fighting systems/arts, I believe that they both have their strengths and weaknesses (of course, that's probably why I cross-trained in both for so long and now have evolved more towards MMA) ;) .

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

good to see you've finally realized your position. :D

8. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Considering that he knew he would be fighting a thai boxer, why didn't he keep his hands up even a little?

9. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

1. Because he knew that punching to the head is not allowed.
    2. He wasn't used to keep his hands up.

10. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Even so, it was fought with kyokushin rules, and kyokushin guys keep thier hands up. Sometimes lower then what i would say it good, but still, thier up.

Yeah he was used to keeping his hands down.

But knowing who and WHAT he was fighting, come on! Atleast TRY to keep your hands up.

11. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

Yeah you're right. He really should try to keep his hands up. The poor guy probably thunk "what the hell am I doing here??? :D :D :D )

But during the heat of battle, he'd probably just forgot to do it since he was not used to.

12. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

i guess.

13. slipthejab

agreed.
    You'll fight how you train. If you haven't drilled something into muscle memory... it's not going to all of a sudden hop into your muscle fibers just because your scared or under an adrenalin dump. In fact... your body will rely heavily on what's in it's muscle memory in that scenario. Thus - the TKD guy is fighting with the typical TKD guard... that is to say... none.

14. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

No comments. This has been discussed over and over again.

I think that the TKD guy was shocked the first time he received a low kick. I just wonder, low kicks are painful, so why the hell, he just left his leg for a clean low kick?? :bang:

15. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

You must be kidding me?!

So like you to jump on others saying things like 'close the cakehole' and other stupidly immature things, then when someone puts you in your place you suggest they are 'taking this a teensy weensy bit too seriously'? Come on...grow up.

16. slipthejab

MARIO BRO - enough clown shoe in the cakehole

Mario Bro,

errm... had you bothered to read the post in context (or any of the thread really) you just might understand:

1) TKDMitch didn't put me in my place. Go back and read the thread - it hasn't been a flame war between me and TKDMitch. So there wasn't any place to get put... it was a conversation. Read it for yourself... the posts are still there for all to see. :rolleyes:

2) My response was meant tongue-in-cheek... thus the smiley. ;)

3) The response was particularly germain as TKDMitch made light of the situation by posting that granny beats up BJJ practioners. :D That'd be last paragraph of post #29. :rolleyes:

4)
    TKDMitch's response to what you saw as inflammatory was rather even. In fact it appears he understood it was in jest and made with tongue firmly in cheek. (Post #33)

So in short - your talking out of your hat here Mario Bro.
    If you have your panties bunched as usual or feel the need to sit there and slobber on your keyboard then please do it elsewhere.

This is a civilized MT and TKD conversation... not a thread for your half-baked hit-and-run antics. So next time read and understand the thread in context before opening your cakehole and cramming it full of your clown shoe.

You've come into a thread and contributed zero, zilch and nada. :rolleyes:

Ta ta. :p

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  17. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

[​IMG]

18. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Well, you might be right...I may have mis-understood the posts above by accident.

But the difference between us is that you are a jackass on purpose. At least you are good at what you do.

As for contribution...how can I contribute to a thread in which there is actually a discussion about specific fights that are supposed to somehow prove the quality of specific MAs? It is just plain stupid and everyone should know that it is the individual more than anything...size, skill, alertness, reflexes, etc, etc.

But, anyone ever suggests that a TKDer did well in any event anywhere and BAM, a bunch of people jump all over it to say that whomever they were fighting must be horrible because [fill in the oral diarrhea here]. Then whenever a video shows an MTer doing well it is considered solid proof of the advantage that an MTer has over a TKDer.

Just seems to me that this same discussion has happened more than enough times already, and yet it keeps coming back to the same thing with the same ignorant comments and falls down the same pit of immaturity every time.

I am convinced that the usual suspects in these types of threads simply enjoy the battle and being able to attack others insultingly as you seem to so enjoy doing. You da man slip, you da man. :rolleyes:

19. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Because it is. Fact is TKD CAN be nasty but.. hehe.. its not. Some of the sparring is brutal, but unlike karate it can't claim to have a style which actually wins anything in professional freestyle competitions.

20. slipthejab

Mario Bro - pipe down before you further embarrass yourself

Mario Bro

No accident about it. You simply didn't bother to read the thread. Plain and simple - you jumped the gun and shot yourself clean in the foot.
    You rocked up with your own personal agenda and ended up looking like a fool. ;)
    Funny, you come into a thread, you foolishly don't bother to read what you're posting about, nor do you bother to understand the context of the comments being made... hmmm.... coming from you the term jackass is more of a confession than an accusation. :D So don't try to pull the plural here... everyone else seems to have been able to read and understand the context of the comments made. You didn't and now your sore. :D

So if you think there's nothing worth discussing then why bother to post. Your nonsense post had nothing to do with even adressing the video clips. It was some sort of half baked plan to attack me. Sorry but you're a day late and dollar short - not to mention at the end of a very long line full of people as equally as shortsighted as yourself. Next. :rolleyes:
    Given the second video that's being posted here of TKD v.s. MT - it's fairly obvious there is discrepancy between the two videos something fierce. That's not a slag on TKD - that's just the reality. I think you need to actually watch them both and then respond to particulars if you're interested in discussing it... if not... just hush. You've already embarrassed yourself....and you're continuing to do by posting in a thread that you think has no purpose.
    Hmm... I think if you took even just my original posts in this thread... if you had bothered to read them - you'd understand that the majority of the people didn't jump to the conclusion that all TKD sucks... which is what you seem so insecure about... they responded that the TKD fighter in the particular clip got his ass handed to him. Which - again if you bothered to watch it - he clearly did. So really - your way off base.

You're missing the point. People are discussing a particular video - a video that hasn't been posted before. In any internet forum anywhere you will get a certain amount of continuity in posts on the said subject matter. Time and time again. But you will also get some variance. That's just the way it is. Just because you came barging in - made an ass of yourself - and are now trying to switch attention from what a weeny you were by doing so... doesn't really wash.

Wrong.
    It was you jumped in cluelessly and attacked.
    You didn't bother to read the thread and you embarrassed yourself.
    So please - quit while your not ahead. It's been a relatively decent discussion until you popped in with your lame comments that made no sense - now that you've been found a fool for posting without reading you're trying to paint the whole thread as something that's beneath you.

For something that is beneath you - you sure are spending alot of energy to post in it. :rolleyes: