a NEW tkd vs MT vid :D

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ikken Hisatsu, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

That site,Youtube.com,has a few other TKD vs.... vids.In all the others the TKD guy mops up his opponent.
    So,it is a win-a-few,lose-a-few situation.

2. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

Full contact taekwando

If you get a semi contact fighter against a full contact fighter, the full contact will slaughter him everytime style has nothing to do with it. Is there any full contact TKD? I'd like to see it, I'm not very familiar with TKD.

3. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

That video is cool. That was a fighter who had more time to prepare and to adjust his skills.

This Serkan guy kicks really good.

4. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

Uuuuuhhhh.... Guys?

That Thai fighter was just not a regular fighter. That's Changpuek Kiatsongkrit :eek: . He was the first Thai who competed regularly in K-1 in the early days (the good times :D ) So, obviously he was holding back against this TKD. Because If he's going full blast, I don't think the other guy will stand that long...

EDIT: That is why you can see the word "SEIDO" on the mat, because the fight took place in Japan during the early days of K-1.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

ah no bull- i thought id seen him before so i loaded up my video of the k-2 comp they had a while back- one and the same!

lol! gotta feel sorry for the guy who draws him!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

"Everytime".

Except for the actual fight I watched last year (see earlier post).

Once again for the hard of understanding: it depends on the fighters and their preparation. And the rules they compete under, obviously.

Mitch

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

But to be pedantic you said yourself that the TKD guy prepared well for the fight and did appropriate trainnning which to my mind means whe woul be a decent full contact fighter as opposed to a semi contact fighter in a full contact environment.

Incidentally, did anyone else think the most interesting part of the video wass the bit where the TKD guy chambered his side kick, personally I reckon that kinda proves that point fighting ingrains bad habits.

8. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Cool vid just wondering is that Thai Boxer advanced in the MA or what he didnt seem to have much guard through out the fight...

was he guarding correctly ?

what defense postions shud the hands be in ?

9. Mitch

I think that's my point?

It's the preparation and the fighter, not the style that makes the difference?

If the bout had been semi-contact, both competitors should have trained semi-contact ready for it.

Are you saying a semi-contact fighter should go and spar semi-contact under full-contact rules? :confused:

Should an MT guy turn up to a Kendo competition without a sword?

Mitch

10. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

That was like a videogame! I love it how they stuck to their roles!

11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Both fighters were evenly matched, so no one can say "the x fighter was much better than the y fighter training wise".

Basically, the TKD guy did his sterotypical TKD moves, regardless of the fact that they werent working. Opening up with finishing moves, and then standing there to get leg kicked by the MT guy over and over again.

The MT guy didnt need to use combos, because his kicks didnt leave him as open as a dutch hooker. The TKD guy did jumping back kicks that missed, and didnt move or attempt to use a combo. He didnt try and use basic kicks, but rather high kicks which were punished every time.

I feel the MT guy was being nice in not coming into the TKD's guard and smacking out, instead stringing on the fight with some nice, crisp, clean leg kicks.

On the note of "does the style make a difference". Yes it does. This TKD guy is trained to fight like this (hence why he did). He has no hope of coming against someone that uses the basics etc.

Considering he was entering in a full contact fight, it is pretty safe to assume that he had some full contact fighting training. You dont turn up at a tournament after training for something else. You dont go enter a freestyle swimming contest when you've been training breaststroke.

12. Jack

Jack Valued Member

The video won't load. :cry:

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Yes, there are full contact TKD compeitions (fought without pads etc), but I dont think there are any in Australia. A chef I worked with from Indonesia used to fight fullcontact TKD rules (without pads, and with leg kicks etc) over there. He had to retire from TKD after his ribs got shattered.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think the Thai guys was a bit perturbed by the TKD guy. Not in an "I'm scared of this guy" kind of way but in an "What the hell is this guy doing?" kind of way.
    The TKD guy obviously had never had his kicks grabbed before. There's no way you can blame the individual for that as that is common across ALL TKD styles, semi or full contact. Nobody grabs kicks in TKD as it is against the rules in ALL TKD competitions. Hence when TKD fighters enter comps that allow leg grabbing they fall foul of them (as this guy did in a major way).
    TKD style kicks can have their place in full contact MA.
    Sadly TKD fighters think that that place is as the main artillery while other, more sensible fighters, relegate them to the role of support techniques or occasional flashy flourishes to be used sparingly.
    Basic common sense will tell you that when two guys fight the one that uses a simple and solid game plan (like MT has) will win most of the time despite the actual techniques used. Of course the flashy "all or nothing TKD" approach will work sometimes (a jumping reverse roundhouse kick to the face is gonna make anyone sit up and take note) but just doesn't cut it as a foundation for effective fighting.
    The guys that seem to make TKD style fighting (high kicks and/or flashy kicks) work are the ones that have other skills to back them up. That way when they fail they have another tool in the box. It also means they can throw their TKD style kicks with more commitment as they are less wary of messing up or missing. That means when they do land they land with conviction. The TKD guy in that vid was throwing some of those side kicks becasue he didn't know what else to do not because they were going to finish the fight or knock the guy down. They lacked conviction and got punished.

There's plenty you can learn from that vid despite differences in training, experience etc.

15. namaste

namaste New Member

That video was great.

I'd never seen actual Muay Thai in action before...

The Muay Thai guys kicks were amazing, never before have I seen kicks so powerful, they completely rocked the other guys balance! and the Muay Thai guy was so steady and calm!

That was great when he caught his leg and just took his balance out from underneath him...

There is no way in hell I could defend (well) against kicks of that speed and power...

Sorry for sounding noob-ish! :D

awesomez!!!1112

16. RazorKaine

RazorKaine Valued Member

Ditto. :D
    These vids are a good reward after you ask yourself "Who the hell made me do this?" during Muay Thai painful training.

17. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

So... in a completely NON abrasive way, I must ask something. Do you guys think, that the training the TKD guy did, hindered him in any way? AND, do you see a fault in training with such a small ruleset, ie: no leg grabs, semi contact wutever?

18. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Not if that's the ruleset that you want to fight under.

19. hux

hux ya, whatever.

exactly.

I think TKD guy's training was not sufficient for this type of fight. You could say the same thing for *insert art here* - if you only train light contact you are going to get yer **** handed to you in full contact. I don't think there's anything inherently bad about either. If you took a guy who had trained in "fitness MT" he wold have been pwn3d just as badly.

You know it's only a matter of time before we see fitness MT classes, right?

:D

20. Mitch

Muay Bo! :D

Muay Bo Lollipop
    Dee do do do
    You make my heartrate go giddy-up
    Dee do do do
    You will be ever so trendy
    Dee do do do
    You'll make all those wannabes T3h d33dly
    Muay Bo Lollipop