A new approach to preventing traumatic brain injury

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Aug 9, 2019.

1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I just learned about this today from a nurse who actually knows one of the people who developed this.

Apparently it (the Q-Collar) works by redirecting the blood flow in a way which mimics the process in animals which can endure severe repeated head impacts. The studies look very promising (an 83% reduction in traumatic brain injury markers) and if it works as advertised I think it would be the greatest leap in technology for striking arts since the boxing glove. I don't know how well it would stay on, it would certainly be more difficult while grappling, but I think it's certainly worth a test if anyone here wants to give it a try.

Brain-Protecting Q-Collar Technology Spreads Through Sports World

Grond, Mushroom, Morik and 3 others like this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Excellent!

Gregory D Myer, Kim Barber Foss, Staci Thomas, Ryan Galloway, Christopher A DiCesare, Jonathan Dudley, Brooke Gadd, James Leach, David Smith, Paul Gubanich, William P Meehan, Mekibib Altaye, Philip Lavin, Weihong Yuan. Altered brain microstructure in association with repetitive subconcussive head impacts and the potential protective effect of jugular vein compression: a longitudinal study of female soccer athletes. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 2018 DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2018-099571

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think this will eventually be used in a medicinal way eventually. Really surprised more people arent talking about it.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Grond likes this.
  5. Stuart Gilham

Stuart Gilham Member

Interested but very sceptical about this.

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Not so sure about this collar for one simple reason. The claim is that it presses on the jugular veins. Now I am not a doctor but the brain is not floatig in blood, it is floating in cerebrospinal fluid

[​IMG]

And generally, increased pressure in the jugular veins is a bad thing

might want to take a look at this
    11 Striking Facts About the Jugular

Grond likes this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

And it seemed to me that increasing blood pressure in the brain would increase the risk of a brain bleed, a potentially fatal issue, like the one that just killed boxer Maxim Dadashev.

Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  8. Xue Sheng

I understand the "they need more testing" bit. But I'm with you, pressure to the jugular has been a medical problem for a long time. It would seem to me, putting in under pressure, and then letting folk hit you in the head, would be a very bad thing.

Grond likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There's a lot more going on in a wood peckers skull them just slightly higher vein pressure...

Ps it's PBS funded, so its not just a random YouTube video

Grond likes this.
  10. Xue Sheng

Problem solved. we need smaller brains and the heads of woodpeckers

Grond and Dead_pool like this.